DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Sharpness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/127393-sharpness.html)

Joe Pitts August 4th, 2008 09:20 PM

Sharpness

I have a few questions...is anyone else having a problem with all-around lack of sharpness???
I have only worked with DVCPROHD as a compressed format and i just need to know, is this the best it's gonna be??
Are the progressive speeds sharper than the interlaced?
Any Magical camera profiles out there to help this issue?
Does Sony even acknowledge there is a problem? if there is a problem...
I've seen sharper images but are they cleaned and sharpened in FCP?
sorry for the rant but i'm on the edge here!!!!
thx
joe

Jon Oneill August 5th, 2008 02:26 AM

I've shot DVCprohd stuff on a hvx200, and Sony Z7 footage seems sharper than that? I've got detail down to -7 as well most of the time. Viewing on FCP with Cinema display 23inch. Really sharp stuff seems to produce lots of alias artifacts on a CRT TV. i.e. EX1.

If viewing on a computer: HDV, -6db gain, normal picture profile, Progressive 25p. seems to produce a good picture. Make sure there is no green bar above the footage in FCP, when dropped on timeline.

John Bour August 5th, 2008 02:32 AM

Hi Joe,

your footage should be tack sharp with standard settings,
maybe your back focus is off, detail settings, (auto)gain above +6?

John

Stephen Gradin August 15th, 2008 12:54 PM

Joe Pitts,

Set the focus chart that came with your Z7 and tape it to a wall or cabinet. Set your camera on a tripod about 8 feet away. Put up adequate light in area of chart. Hook up Z7 to HD monitor via HDMI connector. Do auto flange adjustment (look on pages 10-11 of your manual). To do this, you must keep focus barrel in the position closest to front of lens and also keep in auto focus.

Keeping lens barrel in front position, change one of your programmable lens buttons to Focus, so you can do foot readings in viewfinder when in manual focus. (This is in the camera menu). Looking carefully at HD monitor, do both auto and manual focus tests on chart, using tight, medium and wide zoom settings. Using auto focus, note feet settings (distance for focus) in your viewfinder at each of your zoom settings. Do this by switching to manual focus via your programmable button, described above. Do this multiple times.

Looking at HD monitor, let us know if your manual focus setting (on tightest zoom) holds true focus when zooming out to widest shot. Or, does auto focus look better? What are your foot readings?

Stephen Gradin August 15th, 2008 01:13 PM

If anyone else can try above focus tests with their Z7, please do, and report back your findings. Thanks.

Steve Phillipps August 16th, 2008 03:06 AM

Joe what aperture settings are you using? Don't forget that the Z7 has a 1/3" chip so any f stop below about f5.6 will stop to induce diffraction problems and the lens sharpness will decrease rapidly.
Steve