DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Advice on buying a Camera light? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/237527-advice-buying-camera-light.html)

James Cairns June 17th, 2009 03:18 PM

Advice on buying a Camera light?

Hi, I was looking at buying a light for my camera? I have been looking at these two the Paglight C6 Lighting and IDX X3-Lite. Now for me I don't drive and I try and take the least amount of kit on a shoot....

Now the pag light I have seen and straight away the BIG battery scared me, I have only seen the IDX X3 online. I have since came across the Litepanels Micro Lite Kit and watched a wee video on Mitcorp/Creative Video website.

I have no experience of lights on board a camera and just wanted to see where people stand on this. All I am looking for is...

1) A lightweight product.
2) Long battery life.
3) Reasonable cost for any other accessories - bulbs barndoors filters etc.

any help is most appreciated.
James

Gabor Heeres June 17th, 2009 04:51 PM

Do you use a Z7 or S270?

James Cairns June 17th, 2009 05:09 PM

I forgot to say, the Z7.

Rob Morse June 17th, 2009 05:43 PM

If you go to the lighting forum there will be a lot of info on lights. I use a Swit LED light which I love. I've had it for well over a year now and I'm happy with the light output. It also uses the same batteries as your camera.

http://www.swit-battery.com/swit2006...ductdetail.asp

Dirk Pel June 18th, 2009 06:16 AM

I use on my Z5 the following:
Litepanel Micro | Stonehead Cut
Gives a very nice light.
Dirk Pel

Greg Laves June 18th, 2009 01:10 PM

I have one bit of advice. Make sure the light is for 16 x 9 formatted cameras. The only time I have used an on-camera light recently, I used a friends Sony light because it used the same batteries as the camcorder. The light was really for a 4 x 3 camcorder and I wound up with a hot spot in the middle. The sides were too dark. I didn't like the look at all.

James Cairns June 18th, 2009 04:50 PM

Thanks for all the help on this, I did not know of this 16x9 issue so I will look into that whatever light I choose? I am glad I asked as every little tip helps and the Z7 for me I needed to ask as with never buying a light before I wanted to check.....

Thanks again guys?
James

Raul Barcelona June 18th, 2009 07:27 PM

Greg, would you recommend a particular light for 16x9?

Thanks!

Raul

Don Bloom June 18th, 2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Laves (Post 1160294)
I have one bit of advice. Make sure the light is for 16 x 9 formatted cameras. The only time I have used an on-camera light recently, I used a friends Sony light because it used the same batteries as the camcorder. The light was really for a 4 x 3 camcorder and I wound up with a hot spot in the middle. The sides were too dark. I didn't like the look at all.

if the Sony light you were using was the 2 bulb 10/20 then that was the problem since that light has one of the hottest centers I've ever seen. I've used Bescor and Anton Bauer Ultralights with 16:9 format and not had any kind of problem so in a sense I am agreeing with you but it's hard to generalize.
The only problem with the LPMicro (I've had one since it first came out and love it) is it is a bit under powered but for me it's not a big deal since I still shot SD. Sony PDs- king of low light-but since HD/HDV needs a bit more the LP Micro might be a bit underpowered.

Gabor Heeres June 18th, 2009 10:17 PM

Although for sure not a lightweight option I would seriously consider the Sony HVL-LBP if I was you. Some B-brand made alternatives (e.g. Comer) are on the market as well. For my S270 I bought this light because I could feed it directly from the camera. But, it does take the L-series batteries as well.

LW 1200 Ledlamp 6V/12V

Luc De Wandel June 19th, 2009 03:23 AM

Same as Gabor: I have the Sony LED-light and I'm very enthusiastic about it, although it is quite heavy and large. It's lighting power is fantastic and the battery drain is minimal. I only regret that the tungsten filter is not the flip-up type, but a flimsy and vulnerable gel foil.

Geoff Schatzel June 19th, 2009 05:13 PM

I bought a PAG Light C6 a few months ago and it's working well. I mostly film weddings with the Z7 and it's good for the waltz where the lights are mostly turned down.

James Cairns June 19th, 2009 05:55 PM

Hi Geoff, but if I am right the Battery is rather big and bulky, that was the issue with the C6 kit that put me off? as I don't drive the kit I am already carrying around is quite heavy and I dare say I ain't got everything so I may have to really think hard on this one.....

But I do appreciate all the feedback so far, good to hear peoples opinion I am glad I asked now.

James

Rob Morse June 20th, 2009 06:50 PM

Again, the Swit light is great and is does cover as much of a 16:9 as others when you use the diffuser. I have not seen a light yet that fully lights the side of a 16:9 completely. Everyone I've seen has a slight darkness on the sides. The Sony lights are good (I own one) but they're cheap and the main thing is they don't have a dimmer.

Luc De Wandel June 21st, 2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Morse (Post 1161305)
The Sony lights are good (I own one) but they're cheap and the main thing is they don't have a dimmer.

The HVL-LBPA LED-light from Sony does have a dimmer, but it's far from cheap, I'm afraid.