DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Convergent Design Nano Flash & Z7 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/255109-convergent-design-nano-flash-z7.html)

David Heath March 27th, 2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Galvan (Post 1505868)
Interestingly, I was reading Alan Roberts white paper on the Canon XH G1 for the BBC. He measured the resolution of the HD-SDI image at around 1015 lines vertically. ........He mentions that the sensor chipset of the camera clearly delivers more resolution than its pixel count due to its spatial offset.

Yes, but it's important to note that the XH G1 has sensors of dimensions 1440x1080 (so approx 1.5 megapixel) and unlike the Panasonic cameras pixel shifting is used in the horizontal axis *ONLY*. (The Panasonics use both H & V.) Consequently, the vertical figure you quote above is due purely to 1080 photosites vertically.

Horizontal pixel shift will improve the luminance resolution above the 1440 that the sensor figures may suggest. The downside is that pixel shift comes with side effects, as Uli says. As Alan says in the report you mention:
Quote:

However, and as expected, this process also generates some horizontal aliasing, and it is at about 1600 pixels that the wanted and aliased frequencies are equal in amplitude.
Also note that the Sony sensors *DO NOT* employ any pixel shifting. Corresponding R,G,B photosites are all optically in the same place. There is no right and wrong to either method, they just emphasise different compromises.
Quote:

But of course, there are many more advantages to recording the HD-SDI, so a Nanoflash would be a great upgrade for these Sony cameras!
It would be an upgrade, but I'd still maintain that for the combined cost of this camera and nanoFlash, the money would be better spent on buying a better (more expensive) camera in the first place.

It's a bit like buying a cheap car and spending a fortune on upgrading the performance. You may be far better off just spending the same money on a better spec car in the first place.

Stephen Armour March 27th, 2010 07:03 PM

Now if we could afford the PWM-350 AND a Nanoflash...that would be something! (Sorry, just dreaming...)

Alexander Timanov March 28th, 2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

It would be an upgrade, but I'd still maintain that for the combined cost of this camera and nanoFlash, the money would be better spent on buying a better (more expensive) camera in the first place.It's a bit like buying a cheap car and spending a fortune on upgrading the performance. You may be far better off just spending the same money on a better spec car in the first place.
I agree, but sometimes a better camera lead to the same fortune to be spent. For example EX3 -pair of SxS pro cards (or even SxS1), spare large capacity battery and last but not the least a nanoflash. I would keep silent on P2 cards cost. Of course it is better to have more advanced camera, but it may happen, just like Stephen says: Now if we could afford the PWM-350 AND a Nanoflash...that would be something! (Sorry, just dreaming...)

Regards,
Alex