DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Sony z7u-Audio settings and switches (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/506729-sony-z7u-audio-settings-switches.html)

Greg Hoxsie April 6th, 2012 04:31 PM

Sony z7u-Audio settings and switches

Aloha!

I am having a heck of a time understanding the REC CH SELECT (two position switch on z7)

Additionally, the SEPARATE or LINKED settings in the Menu are somewhat confusing.

I can make it all work, but I clearly need some help.

We are usually using one or two wireless mics going into the xlr imputs, but sometimes we pull one out and use the mic on the camera with one wireless mic. (I realize the mic+48v switch needs to be in the right place)

Any clarification would be appreciated. I do have the Vortex DVD's but it's not really fully addressed in there.

Thanks!

Greg :)

Zach Love April 10th, 2012 10:59 AM

Re: Sony z7u-Audio settings and switches

I don't have my camera in front of me, so I can't remember what is in the menu.

But on the side of the camera by the XLR there is the option to record the mic plugged into Ch1 onto Ch1 & Ch2; or to record the mic plugged into Ch1 on Ch1 & the mic plugged into Ch2 on Ch2.

What mic are you using? If it is a dynamic mic like a Shure SM58 or Electrovoice RE50b, you don't need phantom power (P48). Only use phantom power if the mic needs it. If the mic has a power supply, AA battery, then you still don't need phantom power.

Depending on the wireless mic you're using, you might have to set the input to line level if the wireless receiver sends a line level output. But most likely, it'll be mic level (again, no P48).

Hope that helps.

Adam Gold April 10th, 2012 12:05 PM

I've always thought this stuff was pretty self-explanatory, so maybe if you tell us what specific questions you have and what you find confusing, I'm sure many people can offer advice.

REC CH SELECT: in the fist (CH1,CH2) position, it just means that whatever you have plugged into Input 1 will go to both channels. In the Second Position (CH1), it means that this audio goes to CH1 only, leaving CH2 for whatever you have plugged into INPUT 2. There's a chart that shows this on page 12. So if you are using one mic and you want the sound from it to go to both channels, you must plug it into INPUT1 and have the switch in the top (CH1,CH2) position. If you are using two mics (or if using only one mic into INPUT1 and want audio on CH1 only and CH2 silent), the switch should be in the bottom position.

On the other issue, pages 75-76 make it pretty clear: it just tells the cam whether you want to link the AUTO Gain levels for both channels in lockstep or have them adjust independently of one another.

Frank Heney April 10th, 2012 03:24 PM

Here's some pics that may help;

http://www.hdcamreview.com/sonyz7u/z...ocontrol1S.jpg

http://www.hdcamreview.com/sonyz7u/menus12.jpg

Zach Love April 11th, 2012 10:06 AM

Bam! Thanks Frank.

I think the thing that can be confusing is that the switch to override CH2 is on the CH1 side.

Huh? I'd think it'd make more sense for the CH2 to record CH1 audio switch to be on the CH2 side. But that is just my opinion.

----

Complete tagent...

like how on the HVX you can "over ride" CH1, by recording CH2 audio on both CH1 & CH2. I had originally thought I like the "Z7 way" of recording CH1 on both tracks until I realized that I prefer to have my camera mic on CH2 & my talent mic (most often wireless, but sometimes hard wired) mic on CH1.

I learned this while in the good old analog tape days, because the talent audio was more important than the nat sound & if the heads or tape started to go bad, you'd lose CH2 before you'd lose CH1 because of where CH2 audio was physically recorded on the tape.

With the HVX way, I can have my camera mic (nat mic) in CH2 & have to record to CH1 when the wireless mic is off so I don't have any empty audio tracks. Then when I turn on my wireless, I can just flip a switch & have talent on CH1 & nats on CH2.

Since I don't like changing old habits of which mic is plugged into which channel, I just now live with empty audio tracks when I have my wireless off. Oh the humanity!

Adam Gold April 11th, 2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 1726463)
I think the thing that can be confusing is that the switch to override CH2 is on the CH1 side

No, it's on the INPUT1 side. It maps where you want Input1 to go.

Zach Love April 12th, 2012 01:57 PM

It is a matter of philosophy. Should the switch be on CH1 which tells the camera where the signal is sent to, or on CH2 which tells the camera where the signal should be pulled from.

On the Z7, when I listen to CH2 & hear a signal that isn't coming from the input plugged into CH2, I have to go to CH1 settings.

As it is now, CH2's fate is controlled by settings on the CH1 side. I think CH2's fate should be controlled by CH2. But to each their own.