DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Legitimate company ??? EA50 for under £2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/513465-legitimate-company-ea50-under-2000-a.html)

James Manford January 13th, 2013 04:40 PM

Legitimate company ??? EA50 for under £2000

Sony NEX-EA50UH Camcorder with 18-200mm Servo Zoom Lens NEX-EA50UH HDV Tools

As I previously mentioned I couldn't justify spending more than £2000 on this camera ...

This looks too good to be true? £600 cheaper than any UK seller I have found.

What do you guys think? I checked the T&C it implies they pay any import tax too ... a bit like DigitalRev ( who are a 100% legit as i've bought from them before )

Don Bloom January 13th, 2013 04:54 PM

Re: Legitimate company ??? EA50 for under £2000

If it looks to good to be true it probably is.

I looked at this company before and frankly couldn't find anything about them other than the website. I'm not saying it's not real but if it were me, I wouldn't spend my money there. As far as your not spending more than £2000 on this camera, well, I guess you won't be buying one then but that's your choice.
Again it's strictly a personal decision decision as to where you want to spend your money but before I would spend with a place that noone has has of, I would investigate it very very closely but that's just me.

Paul Wood January 13th, 2013 04:56 PM

James,

The T&C say they will pay the VAT for you, but will add it to the purchase price - I have received several US imports into Spain, and the carrier (UPS in this case) will charge you the VAT - try and check with the supplier to get a delivered price.

James Manford January 13th, 2013 05:11 PM

Yes, that would be the most logical thing to do I suppose. Actually contact them first!

Rod Pike January 13th, 2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1772997)
Sony NEX-EA50UH Camcorder with 18-200mm Servo Zoom Lens NEX-EA50UH HDV Tools

As I previously mentioned I couldn't justify spending more than £2000 on this camera ...

This looks too good to be true? £600 cheaper than any UK seller I have found.

What do you guys think? I checked the T&C it implies they pay any import tax too ... a bit like DigitalRev ( who are a 100% legit as i've bought from them before )

Hi James,
Just a thought and word of possible caution: I am in NZ and was very tempted to import a Panasonic AC160A from USA as it was so much cheaper. However , Panasonic service centre advised me that they will not service under warranty, what they consider to be grey imports, and it would need to go back to USA if anything untoward happened . So I purchased here in NZ. and you know what's coming! It had a faulty lens/servo assembly and had to go back to the NZ service centre. I would check with Sony service centre just in case.
Cheers! (PS I am English and am missing the snow!)

Rod

Chris Harding January 13th, 2013 07:39 PM

Hi James

It's a UK website and they say they have live chat so why not chat to them and ask your questions??
That price including VAT is nearly AUS$1000 less than what I paid for mine in Australia so you do have the right to be a little nervous. They might be "grey imports" which means that they are still made by Sony but don't go thru Sony UK ..As Rod says the only real issue there is if something goes seriously wrong you have to have them ship the cam back thru the supplier. My Panasonics were offshore imports and were also a lot cheaper! I paid $4040 here including tax for mine and when they do arrive I suspect the imports via Singapore could quite easily be a lot cheaper.

Chris

Mike Beckett January 14th, 2013 12:53 AM

It's a USA website. Their contact info show Chicago. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, it doesn't feel right.

Chris Harding January 14th, 2013 01:47 AM

Hi Mike

Good detective work there...the main page indicates it's the UK section but as you say they are USA based and trying to infiltrate the UK market...It would cost quite a packet (and time) to return a camera to the USA. Best to stay local and at least have in country support too!!

Chris

James Manford January 14th, 2013 03:06 AM

Just read this dreaded news ...

HDV Tools - Has anyone used this company?

Apparently they take your money, then refund you. Why? to steal your credit card details.

Noa Put January 14th, 2013 03:12 AM

I wouldn't touch it either, they are selling all camera's well below the marketprice, I can get the fs700 for what I have to pay for a fs100 here.

Tommy Cheuk September 20th, 2014 10:00 PM

HDVTools

Never trust this HDVtoolds. I got cheated by paying them US$15K and never received the goods I ordered from them. Yet they never stopped and kept trying to convince me to pay more if I have to get the goods I bought. Reporting to the police won't help as they will only refer you to the Dept of Commerce. Hoping someday this company will be judged by law.

Chris Harding September 20th, 2014 11:19 PM

Hi Tommy

That's a bummer. I pay a little more but deal with VideoPro in Brisbane ... at least if they took your $15K you could fly up there and march into their office and beat them up!!

If I do buy offshore I use PayPal ..at least they can reverse the payment if the company doesn't ship or is a scam!! It's the old story of if you wonder why a dealer has the same camera at half the price then you should be twice as careful before buying!!

Even eBay has supposed "local stock" of items and they take 2 weeks to ship it and you discover the seller is in Hong Kong as well as the items but still claims that they are in stock in Sydney (which they are NOT)

It's a bit scary buying from overseas unless it's a company like B&H !!! What did you buy for $15K ???

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. September 21st, 2014 08:25 PM

Re: HDVTools

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Cheuk (Post 1862175)
Never trust this HDVtoolds. I got cheated by paying them US$15K and never received the goods I ordered from them. Yet they never stopped and kept trying to convince me to pay more if I have to get the goods I bought. Reporting to the police won't help as they will only refer you to the Dept of Commerce. Hoping someday this company will be judged by law.

That Stinks!!! I was going to buy from a company called Overstockdigital.com when I was looking to get my first cam and I'm so glad I didn't. They are a scam as well. I saw over stock and immediately associated the reputation with Overstock.com but they are not affiliated in any way. Actually overstockdigital was another name and changed to overstockdigital because of the issues they have caused...

Mervyn Jack September 21st, 2014 09:06 PM

I was going to order something from HDVTools last week, but when I discovered the "secure checkout" was not secure and they did not accept Paypal or credit cards, alarm bells rang. The Australian version of the website even has a Perth, Western Australia address and phone number.

Now, you don't know any of this until you have registered, so now they have my email address, address, phone number, a password that was used on some other sites (which has now been changed on those sites) and reported them to Scamwatch in Au.
The cheap price quoted, free shipping and lack of variety of products, and lack of Terms and conditions and privacy statement should have set my alarm bells off earlier, but I was a bit slack on the night.

Spread the word about these ratbags I say.

Chris Harding September 21st, 2014 10:14 PM

Hi Guys

Yikes .. I'm in Perth so they are probably spreading their tentacles all over.

This website should keep most away Is hdvtools.com safe ? - Scamvoid

It's actually NOT a USA company at all but a Spanish one ..these are the details here.

Main Headquarters
B & L PHOTO VIDEO SL
Sant Cugat Business Park
Avinguda de la Via Augusta,
15-25 Sant Cugat del Vallès
08174 Barcelona, Spain
E-mail: office@hdvtools.com

Chris