DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   I feel like a kid on Christmas! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/514894-i-feel-like-kid-christmas.html)

Jerome Cloninger March 9th, 2013 03:05 PM

I feel like a kid on Christmas! || CLIP ADDED!

The mail just ran and I have my EA50 put together and setup. Going to go play now!

EDIT... here's Day 1.
I wanted to really push this thing under some conditions I've had trouble with in the past regarding my XH-A1 and 60d. I must say I really like this camera and it's limitations can be worked around--I think.
First 5 minutes is slightly color graded / tweaked / noise reduction as I filmed some at 4000 & 5000 ISO. Second 5 minutes is untouched / raw footage straight out of the camera.
This is 100% with the 18-200mm "powerzoom" kit lens. The cine lenses will be nice for low light (definitely WILL need those.) I was surprised at how the kit lens did.

More testing soon!

Be sure to watch in 1080 Full Screen ;-)

Feel free to comment your thoughts!

James Manford March 10th, 2013 05:24 AM

Re: I feel like a kid on Christmas!

Enjoy! and if you make anything creative or not creative - show us !

Jerome Cloninger March 10th, 2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1783550)
Enjoy! and if you make anything creative or not creative - show us !

Just updated OP with a clip.

Chris Harding March 10th, 2013 09:02 AM

Hi Jerome

Very nice too..they are amazing cameras even with the stock lens!!

Just for interest what picture profile did you use with that or was it set to none??

Chris

Jerome Cloninger March 10th, 2013 09:04 AM

Thanks Chris. It was a variant of PP3 that I made. That'll be changing again though. It'll probably change a lot until I find exactly what I like for those type of shots. Today I'll play with something for bright day light. I wish I had the Variable ND filter today!

Noa Put March 10th, 2013 11:11 AM

Re: I feel like a kid on Christmas! || CLIP ADDED!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger (Post 1783475)
Going to go play now!

Don't forget to buy your wife something as well :) Looks great Jerome and that for a first try? I have a shoot planned (personal, not payed) at a big Japanese garden about 45min drive from my place, they open on April 1st but I plan to go when all flowers are blooming, will be good to see how the camera can deal with a lot of color and very bright sun.

Just wondering, at 04:50 I see something peaking in the left top corner, if I have to guess it was the viewfinder loupe that was open and came into the lens frame? I have had that a few time with my 14mm, that viewfinder is really too long.

Jerome Cloninger March 10th, 2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1783600)
Don't forget to buy your wife something as well :) Looks great Jerome and that for a first try? I have a shoot planned (personal, not payed) at a big Japanese garden about 45min drive from my place, they open on April 1st but I plan to go when all flowers are blooming, will be good to see how the camera can deal with a lot of color and very bright sun.

Just wondering, at 04:50 I see something peaking in the left top corner, if I have to guess it was the viewfinder loupe that was open and came into the lens frame? I have had that a few time with my 14mm, that viewfinder is really too long.

Oh don't worry, I have some goodies planned for her! She LOVES Georgia football, so this year, she and I are going to a game in person and I got us all tickets to the Jason Aldean concert... she's stoked.

Yep! First try! I did hook up the camera to the TV and rough tweaked PP3 before going out to shoot. I HAVE got to spend some time outside, with it myself. Bright sun, colors... yep. I actually have a commercial to shoot tomorrow and I think I'm taking this one along. It's in a moderately lit interior, I think it'll work fine for this shoot.

4:50 is that darn rubber eye piece when I had it flipped up... I HATE that thing getting in the way, but overall, I'm really happy with my purchase so far.

Thanks again for your correspondence and I'm sure we'll keep in touch. I plan on playing on the forums some....

Chris Quevedo March 10th, 2013 12:07 PM

Hey Jerome,
Can I ask what you used for color grading/correcting?
Also what did you use for noise reduction?
How satisfied are you with the noise reduction?
And last of all, have you film with DSLR's before? I'm curious how you think the image quality compares to something like a Canon 5D mark II?
Now I've asked that from a few people and the response always is something like "we'll if you take into account that isn't ergonomics are more professional..." And while I appreciate that point and it is true, I'm only asking about image quality at this point. Thanks Jerome and thanks for sharing your video.

Chris

Jerome Cloninger March 10th, 2013 08:45 PM

Hey Chris, I edit on Sony Vegas 12 Pro. I use the following when CC'ing... depends in the scene, sometimes a mixture or single in a chain... NewBlue FX's Colorfast, Color Corrector Plus and Sony's Curves, 3 Wheel Corrector.... sometimes MagicBullet Looks.

Noise reduction done with Neat Video Pro v3. It's a good denoiser. I hate having to use it and prefer to shoot a scene properly, but as you may know, that's not always possible.

I've never used a 5D... the only DSLR I've done video with its the 60d. So far, image wise I think the EA50 is on par with the 60d (with magic lantern and picture profiles like cinestyle or similar.) With the addition of better lenses, capabilities would be much higher.

How does it compare to a 5d? I have no idea, but there's several reasons I've never jumped on the "5d bandwagon" and I can say so far, I'm happy with this camera and what I think I'll be able to do with it. I guess it depends on what your needs are and how you film. There's a Vimeo group with some great work for this camera... several people here posted some great work with it. In my opinion, it's a sleeper item that hasn't gained much interest... sure it has limitations, but for the price point, it has a lot of features... Noa on here had posted a lot of info... anyways it's a big step up from my old XH-A1'S & 60d. Those will still be a part of my "toolbox"... cameras are merely tools. People use them differently.