DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Blackbird, Rookie pilot goin flyn! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/515746-blackbird-rookie-pilot-goin-flyn.html)

Steven Digges April 10th, 2013 11:25 AM

Blackbird, Rookie pilot goin flyn!

I just ordered a Blackbird for my EA50. After doing all my research the Blackbird seemed like a no brainer compared to the other options. I will be limited to short flights for awhile because the vest will come later. The back is not what it used to be.

Open to all suggestions, tips, and ideas.

Noa, I think I found most or all of the posts you have made on the board. Anything else?

Steve

Dan Eskelson April 10th, 2013 12:37 PM

Re: Blackbird, Rookie pilot goin flyn!

I've been tempted to order the Blackbird also. Keep us informed of your progress.

Steven Digges April 10th, 2013 01:01 PM

I will. If I can do it anyone can. It arrives Friday. I have a crane/jib and a slider, this will finish off the big three tools for motion. Now I need to practice and get it all booked. I could not have done my dental surgery shoot two weeks ago without the crane but I was wishing I had a stabilizer with me for cut-a-ways.

Steve

Joel Corral April 10th, 2013 01:50 PM

Not a huge fan of hand held stabilizers. But I do understand that there are space restrictions in some projects that will force you to lose the doorway dolly. Let us know your thoughts and post some results...!

JC

Noa Put April 10th, 2013 02:07 PM

Below video the steadicam shots where with the blackbird with the ea50 mounted on it, for me that combination is too heavy to handhold for longer periods, that's why I fly a canon 550d (t2i) with a 14mm lens on it. I was able though to get more controlled movements with the ea50, probably because of the added inertia caused by the extra wheight. The blackbird is very fast set up and balanced, solid piece of equipment and excellent customerservice. Check out the dvd that comes with the blackbird, very informative and will give you the basics to get started quickly.

Chris Harding April 10th, 2013 04:15 PM

Hi Steven

Hope you can manage with that! I would have thought that the 50 was way too heavy for a Blackbird...I use mine on a custom rig designed for 5 -8lb cameras with full vest and dual arm and after 15 minutes I'm sore!! I can see the sense of putting a DSLR on a Blackbird ... Hmm if the 50 is too heavy maybe grab one of those new Black Magic pocket cams????

Let us know your thoughts once you have flown it??

Chris

Steven Digges April 10th, 2013 04:46 PM

I know it will be to heavy until I get the vest. Especially on this old back! I have some other camera options.

Noa Put April 11th, 2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1789935)
I would have thought that the 50 was way too heavy for a Blackbird

The blackbird can handle the weight of the ea50, it's just that it becomes too heavy to handhold without vest/arm for longer periods.

Steven Digges April 15th, 2013 01:56 PM

Guys, I am moving my comments over to the stabilizer section where they should be. I just started a thread. I believe the Blackbird was a good choice. But operating the EA50 without a vest is physically beyond my capabilities. I will be resorting to lighter camera options as I expected.

The Blackbird is a finely machined tool, as it should be. I am sure it will be worth every dollar once I train enough with it. My first impression is, operating a steadycam is harder than it looks!

Steve

Noa Put April 15th, 2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

operating a steadycam is harder than it looks!
It requires a big amount of "feeling" and anticipation to get fluid motions, it is much lighter then the real steadicams and has less inertia meaning you need to control it quite delicately, I"ve seen Paul wags pulling some impressive moves with it so he certainly got the hang of it.

I feel like a dancer sometimes when I walk around with that thing, since I don't have a arm/vest my body has to act like these devices and you need to float with the blackbird, takes a lot of practice to get it right. I stopped using that friction control months ago because it can give some unwanted motions when you are doing small movements, it does work well if you are walking faster but I prefer to do without. Currently I am at a level where I can perform controlled tilts. Expect to use it a lot before you get decent results though.

Chris Harding April 15th, 2013 06:02 PM

Hi Steve

You will need many many hours of practice before you become even reasonable...I have been flying stedicams for around 10 years now and I still suck although I get better with each shoot.

Get hold of Tiffen and get their stedicam training DVD ..it was made way back in the early days BUT it is absolute gold!!! If you search on YouTube there are also (or were) a few segments from the DVD and they also pop up on eBay now and again ... grab a copy it gives you all the basics!

Chris

Steven Digges April 15th, 2013 06:14 PM

Cool, I will try to find it. Blackbird gives you a one hour DVD with the device. It is pretty good too, but I need all the help I can get.

At 53 years old this is one of those rare times I wish I was a video gamer. My hands just don't have the dexterity my kids have. Their thumbs have more talent than my whole body!

Steve

Chris Harding April 15th, 2013 09:06 PM

Hi Steve

Some basic rules are firstly walk like a cat burglar with your knees slightly bent and try to glide across the floor/ground rather than stomping ... practice to walk with a fluid motion ..that helps a lot.

Probably the hardest to master (and most important) is keeping the frame height constant..you can do this indoors too by making an "X" on a passage wall with tape and then walk towards it and away from it trying to keep the object to top frame height consistent...when the frame height tends to move up and down it looks awful.

The actual training course DVD was made with the EFP rig but has some awesome techniques in it!

Chris

Dave Vickers April 16th, 2013 04:56 AM

Hi

has anyone used the Merlin Steady with the EA50?

Steven Digges April 16th, 2013 09:36 AM

Hey Dave,

I have not used it, however FWIW, when I did my pre-purchase research this month I found a large number of complaints about it being very hard to balance.

Steve

Charles Papert April 16th, 2013 09:56 AM

Also I recommend the Steadicam Operator's Handbook for any and all flyers of gimbaled stabilizer, handheld or body mount. It's the result of 30 years of combined knowledge and it covers everything, including the tried and true practice exercises.

Steven Digges April 16th, 2013 10:15 AM

Thank you Charles. I will SEARCH to find out where to get it. Does it include tips for a retired firefighter that has had two discs cut out and his spine glued and screwed back together?

Besides that, my real problem is finesse. I can't dance, I don't sing, and I used to kick doors open. This is going to be tough for me.

Steve

Rod Pike April 16th, 2013 06:01 PM

Hi Steven,
I fly a Tiffen Steadicam pilot with a Panasonic ac160A (occasionally , so not a main source of income.). This is a vest designed system. These rigs are quite heavy and will play havoc with your back if you haven't mastered the basics of fitting and stance- but don't despair, there is good news!!

The book you must get is the Steadicam Operators handbook by Jerry Holway and Laurie Hayball- published by focal press. The ISBN no is : 978-0-240-81165-9. This book , although aimed at Tiffen products will give you the essential info on fitting, stance and movement (plus an insight into the world of steadicam work).

Many new operators (including me) have experienced back pain, hip discomfort etc. All of which are caused by fitting and stance- the book gives you all the answers to these issues. While a certain fitness is required, rest assured that if you can walk in straight line without the rig, you will with practice be able to fly a properly mounted and fitted Steadicam rig without discomfort.

I hope this helps, all the best
Rod.

Steven Digges April 17th, 2013 12:34 AM

Thanks Rod,

I am looking forward to this. Not as a specialty at all, but to put another arrow in my quiver. The EA50 might be too heavy for me until I get a vest. I am going to check out the Blackbird with a VG20 I have here because they share the same sensor. That might be just the fix I need.

Steve

Rod Pike April 17th, 2013 01:24 AM

you're very welcome Steven. Once you have the book, horizons, headroom,starts, stops, transitions, whip pans, static balance, dynamic balance, missionary position (don't ask!) , walking the line etc will all take on very new and important meanings for you!

But it is worth understanding these aspects, as an out of control steadicam is the mark of someone who hasn't studied ther fundamentals and it will be very obvious. Personally, I do put in some practice but probably not regularly enough. (I lie, actually nowhere near enough!!)

But it is an engaging and very interesting tool in our kit. Just to encourage you, I am 68, fairly overweight and have a creaky left hip. I initially struggled with a full rig until I read about what was causing the discomfort and back pain.
The book has the answers, so get stuck in and we are all looking forward to seeing some of your work.
all the best.

By the way, if you want to see steadicam perfection in action, seek out the steadicam sequence from the film "atonement" It was on the net and is the most incredible event. There is also an account of the shoot from the steadicam operator- well worth watching. I will also see if I can find the link and will post it in the interests of education (it may have been removed because of copyright issues). Also the making of American pie video- again an incredible sequence shot in the USA.
Have fun! .
Rod

Chris Harding April 17th, 2013 03:43 AM

Hi Steve

This might help too for some basic terms ..and no the Don Juan position has nothing to do with Kama Sutra ...it's a nice move actually!!

http://www.steadicam.com/manuals/JR/Page%2040.pdf

Chris

Paul Wags April 17th, 2013 03:46 AM

Hey the Blackbird works a treat hand held.
Best way to learn is get out there and use it.
I'm all self taught, no books nothing....
Don't use the friction control unless windy.
The rest is all in that left hand of yours.

Sony VG30 and the NEX10-18m works really well.
Will never use a DLSR again for video for many reasons.
You can see it in action here.
Cairns Real Estate Virtual Video Tours | Virtual real estate video tours on properties located Queensland.

Peter Rush April 17th, 2013 12:12 PM

I use a Merlin with my VG-20 - initially difficult to set up - I almost gave up on it but other systems also drew similar criticism so i stuck at it - it works a dream for me - but I only use it for a few basic moves.

Steven Digges April 18th, 2013 10:43 AM

Small progress.

First, I have a VG20 here on loan for a short while. I switched to that and everything got better. I am not saying you cannot fly the EA50 with the Blackbird. I am saying I cant. I am a retired firefighter/medic. A 20 year battle with back problems resulted in major surgery 2 years ago. The 50 is just to much weight for me to fly handheld.

I have plans to get two more EA50s, I have always had three matching cameras of whatever model I shoot with at the time. In the next couple of days I hope to find the time to shoot an image comparison test with the EA50 and the VG20. I think that match will be an unexpected advantage of owning the EA50. Since I now plan on adding flying shots to my list I think my final three cameras may end up being two EA50s and a VG20. I had previously viewed the VG 20 as too much of a consumer camcorder for pro work. If my test proves to be a reasonable match it will become a great thing to have.

I am buried in post right now. When I do get the time to practice flying (and it will take a lot of practice) I have leaned a couple of things. I generally keep data info on a lot, you can live or die by what the camera is telling you. When flying I turn it off, I'm not reading it so I give myself a clear image to concentrate on.

I am only doing eye level shots, baby steps, one thing at a time. Tilting the LCD viewfinder down a little bit is helping to keep me from dipping down on the boom.

Thanks for the input guys. I will get the book soon.

Steve