DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   NEX-EA50 lens Recommendation ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/520184-nex-ea50-lens-recommendation.html)

Scott Comeau November 20th, 2013 05:16 PM

NEX-EA50 lens Recommendation ?

I just bought the nice Sony NEX-EA50 and would like to add three lens to the kit.

One for inside shooting in rooms.

One for outdoor no more that 25 to 75 feet

And one for telephoto range outdoor.

I like the Cannon lens alot but are open to other brands.

Thanks for any input you can give me.!

Scott

James Manford November 20th, 2013 05:32 PM

Re: NEX-EA50 lens Recommendation ?

LA-EA2 adapter and the Carl Zeiss A Mount 24-70mm F2.8 constant as an all rounder. Total cost of around £1500 brand new, or much less pre-owned.

Rather than buying three separate lenses.

Peter Rush November 21st, 2013 06:09 AM

EF to NEX Speedbooster: $599

Metabones®

Canon EF 24-105: $759 - f2.8 throughout with the metabones

Amazon.com: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Zoom Lens - White Box (New) (Bulk Packaging): Camera & Photo

Pete

Jon R. Hand November 21st, 2013 09:49 AM

I'm using the Metabones-Canon combo Peter Rush just listed. Absolutely incredible! Image quality from the Canon, remarkable! At this point I could never use any other lens as my main lens. Was able to borrow both Tamron and Sigma zooms last week to try them out. Both were admirable, but I think the Canon combo has it beat. Best bang for the buck. If I need wider, I slap on the Canon EF 16-35.

Peter Rush November 21st, 2013 10:46 AM

I also use the metabones with my Canon 70-200 for filming wedding speeches and my Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC Lens (canon fit) for low light evening receptions - the Metabones is the best thing I've bought for years! Highly recommended!

James Manford November 21st, 2013 11:17 AM

Any one care to throw up some footage of the Metabones & canon combo on the EA50? or link me to somewhere that does have it? thanks.

Peter Rush November 21st, 2013 11:55 AM

A few clips from a recent wedding - the 70-200 vignettes a little but the fast aperture and the fact I can position myself way down the room are worth it

password: metabones

James Manford November 21st, 2013 12:38 PM

Thanks a lot Peter that image quality looks good to me.

So the Metabones gives you autofocus, auto everything with those Canon L lenses right?

And what model camcorders are you using on the lightstands? look like the CX730 that I use.

Peter Rush November 21st, 2013 01:38 PM

Hi James - not autofocus on the 24-105 but it is supported (in a limited fashion) on the 70-200. To be honest I've never tried the autofocus on the 70-200 as I always use manual for the speeches, and it's here where I use this lens - although metabones themselves say it is too slow for 'professional' use.

Iris control is good though although no auto - gain and shutter speed can be left in auto and will adjust automatically as you adjust the iris. I only really use my canon glass for indoors as I find the kit lens fine if there's enough light (outdoors) - coupled with a variable ND and it works for me - the metabones/canon combo really comes into it's own for indoor work. I love the 24-105 for first dance, I use it without a hood and get some nice backlight/flare effects

If I broke/lost the metabones I'd replace it in a heartbeat!

Up until recently I've been using 2 TM900 cameras for locked off work but now I'm using a CX700 and CX730 - they beat the TM900 cams for low light capability and match my EA50 and VG20 (which I use mainly for slider/steadicam stuff) nicely. Incidentally the only reason that cam is in shot is that the best man walked over to the top table to do his speech, having said he'd do it from where he was sat - a good warning to those who use table top mics instead of putting lavs on the speakers.

Chris Harding November 22nd, 2013 06:49 AM

Hi Scott

I'm different and use just dumb Novoflex adapters on both cameras. I only use two lenses from my Nikon mount collection and those are a Tokina 11-16 F2.8 which is absolute magic for interior work and especially Realty shoots ... I then use if I need to a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 for ceremonies and speeches.

I was a little put off that the Metabones adapter is 3 times the price of my Tamron 17-50 (They are over $600 here) so for a 1 stop advantage it seemed an awful lot of money (and I would need two!!!)

I never have any issues at F2.8 and seriously I don't want the hassles of ultra shallow DOF anyway!!

Chris