DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   wireless systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/522735-wireless-systems.html)

Randy Johnson April 13th, 2014 01:08 PM

wireless systems

I know this may not be the place for this but I trust the collective knowledge of this forum over any.I used to be a Azden fan their products and service was great for the money BUT a couple years ago I invested in their 2 receiver system which has never worked right even after sending it back multiple times. I eventually got a single channel receiver which I thought was better but it was still rolling the dice. I recently came to the theory that the body pack transmitter is bad but I dont want to waste anymore money. So i was thinking of this system. What do you think?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1026348-REG/sony_sony_uwp_d_hybrid_digital.html
I just want good clean reliable audio again like I had with my old Azden.

Don Bloom April 13th, 2014 05:14 PM

Re: wireless systems

It looks like a decent system. Personally I use the Audio Technica Dual channel receiver with 2 mic paks and a plug in transmitter. I also use Countryman EMW lavs in place of the stock mics. With the cost of the mics I paid about the same as the Sony system is listed for.
I love the AT system for a number of reasons but the number 1 reason is I can control levels by 1) adjusting the DB level on the mic pak or plug in. this is thru a menu system and can be set from -12db to +6. 2) the receiver has variable adjustments on the bottom of the receiver and while they are admittedly hard to see and hard to use (thumb adjustments only it seems as the "knobs" are small) it makes a huge difference especially if you're running the recording device (camera) on AGC. 3) of course the levels can also be controlled on the camera in manual (not AGC) so there are 3 different ways to control sound.
I've been using this unit since about the time it was first introduced and it has been trouble free for me. Also it's pretty easy to changes freqs.
Just another option.

Chris Harding April 13th, 2014 05:31 PM

Hi Randy

I'm still using Azden L100's and they still work well. The Azden 300 series were an absolute disaster with the dual receiver mainly because to fit to receivers into the box Azden decided not to make them diversity as they would then have to have 4 antennas! They used to lose signal in a Church even at 50 yards and were a disaster. I sold mine very fast indeed and found the older 100 series that were diversity, on eBay!

I know dual receivers are convenient but really, I have no problems putting two single receivers on my camera instead of one dual one ...I have just stacked them behind each other and they work fine that way.

That Sony kit is all single units however and looks good! Do you really need all that stuff though?? I get by fine with just 2 transmitters and two receivers and bought a cheap desktop mic on eBay which also works great. Do you need a handheld mic and an extra plug in transmitter or is it just the idea of having everything you might need in the future?? It certainly looks good and the receivers are true diversity too!!

Chris

Randy Johnson April 13th, 2014 07:30 PM

Thanks for all the input, Chris yes I kinda do need it all I have 2 kits to outfit so that would just about do it in one shot. Don I will give the audio technica system a look. Thanks. BTW I too got a diversity receiver but am still having problems I think its party the crappy 300 series and partly a bad body pack but I cant give Azden anymore of my money to try and save this system.

Chris Harding April 13th, 2014 07:47 PM

We both had major issues with the 300 series ...was that the 305 or 325 receiver but I know it was pretty much useless! On the other hand my 100 series are brilliant and work anywhere too!!

Your most sensible move now is to put the dual system on eBay and get a buyer ..I don't think there is anything that can make them work better!! The Sony kit looks pretty good value for money ... I remember my Azden kit which cam without the handheld mic and extra transmitter was over $1K!!

Chris