DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   New camera purchase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/524873-new-camera-purchase.html)

Randy Johnson September 10th, 2014 09:52 AM

New camera purchase

I may be coming into some money and MAY buy a new camera. I am defiantly going to ger a 18-105 for my NEX but I was thinking about a JVC GY-HM650 for another kit. How do you think it will stack up? Especially in low light?

Matt Bigwood September 10th, 2014 02:15 PM

Re: New camera purchase

I've been thinking about a Sony A7s to go with my EA50 and A6000. Let's hope the A7s doesn't overheat as quickly as the A6000.

Jody Arnott September 10th, 2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Johnson (Post 1860848)
I may be coming into some money and MAY buy a new camera. I am defiantly going to ger a 18-105 for my NEX but I was thinking about a JVC GY-HM650 for another kit. How do you think it will stack up? Especially in low light?

I have both the NEX-EA50 and the JVC HM600. In low light, the HM600 does quite well. But even at 0dB, it is noisier than the EA50, and the footage isn't as sharp. I've not been able to get the 2 cameras to match well.

I did this low light test a while back. Both cameras were set to 0/50 shutter, 0dB gain, f3.5. I found the results very interesting, but I'm told the native ISO on the HM600 is much higher than the EA50. I can also bump up the gain of my EA50 to 20dB easily, while the HM600 gets noisy at 6dB. This is typical for a 1/3" chip camera.

In saying all that, the HM600 is still a great camera. I use it a lot for run and gun work. The manual lens controls are fantastic. And the 50mbit codec is very good. However if I was in the market for a new camera, I'd personally be looking at the Sony PXW-X70.

http://s3.postimg.org/3m7rhjycf/test.jpg

Chris Harding September 10th, 2014 06:12 PM

Hi Randy

Based on your requirements you really need to be looking at a 3 chip camera that has a servo zoom and good autofocus. What about the Sony handhelds? As long as you stick to a camera that has a nice big fixed zoom lens you will be fine. Why not rather get a NX5 ... it will match the EA-50 nicely and has much the same profiles too.

If I had just one EA-50 I would get a second EA-50 ... shared lenses with my Nikons is brilliant .. my only other option would be get rid of the EA-50's and get two JVC 850's

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. September 10th, 2014 07:06 PM

Hi Chris,

That JVC GY-HM850 has a pretty small sensor, why would that be your choice? I'm a beginner and trying to learn more about specs and features.

Jody Arnott September 10th, 2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. (Post 1860936)
Hi Chris,

That JVC GY-HM850 has a pretty small sensor, why would that be your choice? I'm a beginner and trying to learn more about specs and features.

I'l chime in here...

Small sensor cameras still have their place.

A lot of us like large sensor cameras for their good low light performance and shallow depth of field. However, cameras like the HM600/850 with 3 smaller 1/3" or 1/2" chips are generally preferred for fast paced news gathering, sports events, etc, because of their deep depth of field (easy focusing), manual iris/focus/zoom rings, smooth servo zoom, etc. They also typically don't have issues with aliasing/moire like some larger sensor cameras are plagued with. And they often record internally to 50mbit broadcast-approved codecs which make them a good choice for those in the broadcast industry.

There are plenty of other benefits, but those are all I can come up with right now.

Chris Harding September 10th, 2014 07:25 PM

I wouldn't say a 1/3rd chip is a small sensor by any means ... The BBC are using the 800 series for ENG ...when things are moving fast and you need a servo lens and autofocus (Unlike the 700's the 850 band 890 has an Fujinon AF lens!!)

If you don't need to have to worry about shallow DOF and adapters these cams are awesome and seem to have a fairly good low light rating too. Prior to my EA-50's by Panny AC-130's had 1/3rd chips and they were pretty good in low light!!

I would take the 850 over the 650 purely because of the form factor and balance!! Those JVC's sit on your shoulder perfectly. Best form factor I have ever seen.

But if you want to match with the EA-50 then the NX5 will be better or another EA-50 like I have. There is a big advantage having matched cameras. If I went for the 850's I would sell BOTH EA-50's and get two 850's

Chris

Peter Rush September 11th, 2014 02:01 AM

Randy what are your requirements? I'm tempted to agree with Chris and go for the NX5 if you need gun and run as it will match up to your EA50 footage better than the JVC - especially if you use picture profiles.

I shoot weddings so low light is a real issue for me - that's why I went with the Sony A7s as my second camera of choice - I still do not like the DSLR form factor as it makes me slower to respond in a fast moving situation but it can pretty much see in the dark and the footage is gorgeous - better than the 5D IMO

Pete

Chris Harding September 11th, 2014 02:18 AM

Hi Pete

I did look at the A7S and was blown away by the low light performance but I still cannot work well with that silly form factor!

I know that you guys have castles that are darker than we could ever imagine but I have been able to comfortably (with the aid of a video light) do all my weddings with the stock lens. OK, I did struggle a bit but I did manage. With the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 on my camera now I virtually have no need for the light and I got it on a special at $700. My issue is that even if I got an A7S I would still need an adapter for the Nikon lenses so that's probably $3,000 out my pocket which I don't want to spend on gear!!

I honestly don't think I would go back to a 1/3rd chip camera again ... the 50 with still lenses works really well for me so why change?? I really feel that the slight inconvenience of using a tiny bit of light now and again when it's really pitch black outweighs fighting a DSLR body form factor.

Randy really is looking for two BIG things ...servo zoom and autofocus both which I can do without. Unless Sony bring out a 17-50 emount lens with AF and power zoom he is stuck with the two stock zooms which are not that fast so that's why I suggested an NX5 ....I don't like it as a handheld camera as I'm so used to shoulder mount so it's not my choice personally but it has the features that Randy wants.

I'm seriously looking at my second 18-200 stock lens which has been sitting in the camera case for 3 months now and wondering why I shouldn't sell it as well. I don't need the servo zoom and they retail here for nearly $1500 ... I could get something more useful that's also faster too. I have no issues manually focussing the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 for bridal entry either ... I know you still use the stock lens for that but what do you do in a really dark venue ?? Use the A7S for bridal entry?

Chris

Simon Denny September 11th, 2014 04:18 AM

I think having a 3rd inch camera as part of your kit is a smart move and the 600/650 and 800 series cameras would be suitable. Pick it up, turn it on and shoot.

Peter Rush September 11th, 2014 05:33 AM

My move to the A7s Chris (via the 5D3) was to avoid using lights completely - I don't like the fact that a light draws attention to myself and makes people 'react' which is the opposite of what I want to accomplish as a documentary film maker.

I find the EA50 footage from 18db - 24db (where I limit it) to be murky and ill defined - not quite soft but not exactly sharp - even with my good Canon glass. It is however good for most of the wedding day providing I can open up to f2.8 - In the evening however it struggles sometimes so the A7s is where it's at for me - I am getting more and more used to the form factor now though the more i use it :)

Chris Harding September 11th, 2014 06:34 AM

Thanks Pete

I limit my cams to 21db and the footage looks great and never had a complaint! However that's with the Sigma 18-35 and F1.8 ..the stock lens is murky at anything over 18db I agree.

All my wedding lenses now are no slower than F2.8 and it makes a big difference ...Nice to see the gain sitting at 9db instead of 18db!!

I'm actually going to dump my second stock lens this week as it hasn't been used since June!!!

With fast zooms the EA-50 is a completely different machine!!

Chris

James Manford September 11th, 2014 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Bigwood (Post 1860891)
I've been thinking about a Sony A7s to go with my EA50 and A6000. Let's hope the A7s doesn't overheat as quickly as the A6000.

The A7S has over heating issues I believe :-(

Matt Bigwood September 11th, 2014 07:15 AM

That's a pain - the A6000 seems to heat up culmulatively (if that makes sense). I can shoot for 10 or 15 minutes with no problems, then each subsequent take is shorter and shorter before the warning symbol appears.

James Manford September 11th, 2014 07:35 AM

The sort of money you will be coughing up for the A7S you might want to consider buying a pre-owned FS100.