DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Hour Meter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/525547-hour-meter.html)

Steven Digges October 28th, 2014 12:12 PM

Hour Meter?

In the tape days the hour meter logged record time because what you wanted to know was how much time tape was rolling across the heads.

Now that we are file based is the meter still logging record time or is it logging all of the hours the camera is turned on?

Not very important but I am curious.

Steve

Jody Arnott October 28th, 2014 05:38 PM

Re: Hour Meter?

I always assumed it to be hours powered on (rather than just recording). But come to think of it, I have no evidence to back that up. I'd be interested to know also..

Chris Harding October 28th, 2014 07:23 PM

Hi Guys

Hour meters on machinery record the time the engine is running normally but I have also see running time meters on truck wheels that record actual rolling time.

To come to think of it with no moving parts the meter doesn't need to record actual run time on the camera as there is no tape or head wear to watch out for!

The manual says "Operating Time" so that could be both standby or record ....I doubt whether we will find out unless you want to leave your camera on overnight on standby (not recording) for 10 hours and see if the number of hours increases by 1????

If I remember at my next wedding I'll make a note of the hours on the B-Cam and check it again afterwards. On ceremonies that has a fair amount of standby time so I could compare the reading against actually footage shot, but I would be pretty sure it was simply "on time"

Our older tape based cameras used to provide 4 readings ..operation, drum, tape and threading so I would say that the operating hours are purely "on" time and no more.

Chris

Don Bloom October 29th, 2014 05:20 AM

My HM700 shows me time the camera is ON not recording. Since I'm the only moving part there is no reason to show anything else.
MY hours meter is WAY beyond what the camera shows. I wonder if I can reset my meter? ;-)

Chris Harding October 29th, 2014 07:13 AM

Oh dear Don

I guess your own hour meter indicates that you simply have too many hours to have any resale value?

Your wife will just have to keep you now but at least you know she won't trade you in for a spunkier, younger model !!

It's sad when that happens! My wife's car air con has decided to quit and Summer has just started here. It will cost more to repair it than the car is worth. Old age isn't always a bummer for us people..cars too!!

Chris

Peter Rush October 29th, 2014 10:07 AM

Snap Chris - my car heater blower has packed in - it's either full on or off - nothing in-between and winter is just setting in - it's only a rheostat fuse but is a full day in the garage for the mechanics to get to - half the value of the car for a simple electronic component!!!! I'm changing it next year - maybe I'll do it sooner!

We've gone off topic :)

Steven Digges October 29th, 2014 11:21 AM

It's ok Peter, my heater blows a fuse once in while. But a couple of beers and a stern talk with myself and I get over it!

Steve