DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Odd Question - Camera shelf (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/526371-odd-question-camera-shelf.html)

Aaron Jones Sr. January 8th, 2015 10:22 PM

Odd Question - Camera shelf

Here is a odd question, but one I would like to get some feedback. I want to know how do you guys store your EA? I have three different cams now and I am looking for some type of a shelf to put beside my editing desk to store my cams. I just to get some ideas as to how some you guys are putting up your cam.

When I return from a long day of shooting I like to sit my cams up on a shelf preferably and take all the batteries and put them on charge as well as begin to download my SD cards and if I'm ambitious I will begin to organize the clips in categories that makes it easy for me to begin editing. I would like a good shelf that i can sit my three cams on and also use it as a battery charging station where it does not look terrible.

Chris Harding January 9th, 2015 12:52 AM

Re: Odd Question - Camera shelf

Hi Aaron

I am a big believer of having your cameras open to the room air rather than stuffed in a bag in inside a closet. I don't want mould on my cams or lenses!!

In my "video room" I have 3 cabinets on the floor (found them at a furniture store as flat packs for $30 each) and each are 32" long and 16" wide and have a shelf inside with two sliding doors on the front. They sit 30" off the floor

I have one that has my 2 x EA-50's sitting on top and under I have my spare backup drives and a few odds and ends...my still cams sit on the 2nd one and the 3rd one houses all my chargers (and bits and pieces) inside the cabinet and the top has a 5 way plug box mounted at the back but on top and that's my charging station.

Works well for me and all the sensitive gear gets plenty of air flow around it too!!

Chris

Noa Put January 9th, 2015 04:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Because I only have several small camera's I only need a small shelf :) Mine is just a small shelf about waistheight where I place all my camera and audiorecorders on the next morning after a shoot.

Then I start with the first camera I take from that shelf to my desk, ofload the footage to pc, check that footage in my NLE to see all is there, then I make a backup to a other harddisc and while it's copying I start cleaning my camera, I use a arctic butterfly to clean the sensor, I clean the lens, the viewfinder and lcd screen and when the back up is done I erase all data from my camera card and place the camera back into my backpack and then I take the second camera or recorder from the shelf and so on.

I also take the battery out of the camera before I place it in my backpack and charge it, my chargers are also behind that left speaker on the photo.

I try to keep a very strict routine after I shot a wedding so I loose as little time as possible when I have to set up for the next wedding and that I am sure my batteries are charged and my cards are empty and that everything is in it's place..

Chris Harding January 9th, 2015 05:40 AM

Cool Noa

The only thing I never do is delete the card data! I have had (admittedly only once) a file copy from the card corrupted and the simple solution was to copy it a second time from the camera card and all was well. My cards from each camera go back into the card case and the set from the previous shoot are then formatted in the camera ready for action.

Regardless of when I get home, I always copy and backup my footage (and have a quick look too to make sure I didn't mess up)

Chris

Noa Put January 9th, 2015 06:24 AM

I do check all my shots in my NLE and I make a backup before I erase the card, for me it doesn't matter if I do it the day after the wedding or the day before the next wedding because I never get to the editing part before the next wedding starts, by erasing it right away I"m always ready to go out and shoot.

In the past I had occasions where I forgot to erase the card to see I got a card full warning at the next wedding, ever since I start to apply my current routine which has worked well.

James Manford January 9th, 2015 06:37 AM

I have a wall mounted shelf that I made with 4 x ' L ' brackets from B&Q. Come home from a shoot, place the camcorder on there, take out the cards, copy everything on to the PC whilst giving the cameras a quick dusting and removing any obvious dirt etc.

I then give the footage a quick look via windows explorer, but don't open it in the NLE. I then copy the files from my PC on to an external drive.

I only charge batteries a day or two before a shoot. I have plenty of chargers for charging multiple batteries at a time. I've found if I charge them straight after a shoot and then I have a week or two gap between the next event the battery life tends to drop (or it may just be in my mind) but I feel as if charging the batteries before the shoot I get more juice out of them.