EA50 to be replaced soon? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 14th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EA50 to be replaced soon?

Had a discussion with a Sony dealer, and he claimed that Sony doesn't produce the EA50 anymore. If I understood correctly, the remaining stock is slowly dwindling.

So, if anybody wants to buy the current model instead of waiting for a possible successor, better buy now.

I would make a guess for the EA50 successor: XAVC-S codec, and maybe a few improvements. Not 4K video, in order to differentiate from FS5 (maybe a license key from Sony, in order to plug the price gap?)

N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EA50 to be replaced soon?

The ea50 was DOA, a fun experiment from Sony in which they most likely didn't see a future because of lacking sales. The ea50 image quality is not up to date anymore, it has a very soft image so matching it up with any current camera would be difficult but that doesn't mean you can't use it for paid assignments if you only use one camera and now there might be some very good deals.

Also the codec is not the issue, the sensor is, from what I understood it was a photosensor not optimised for video.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Don't know.

The form factor was better than other Super35 cameras (although not ideal), and excellent compared to the VG series, ergonomics were OK. And using interchangeable lenses in NEX mount is an extra attraction - having some a6000 and an EA50 is not unusual.

Sony doesn't seem they really believed in that camera, but a new sensor and a 50 Mbps codec could improve things alot (eg sharing sensor with an FS5, but downsampling to HD? Just a thought...)

N.F.
Old March 17th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I loved the form factor of my EA-50's and they were a lot more comfortable to use than it's bigger brothers. Sadly the image did suck a bit compared to more up to date cameras and with manual heavy lenses it tended to be front heavy but it was still my fav form factor. Sony DID bring out the M series EA-50 which supposedly had a video APSC sensor rather than a photo sensor and came with a shorter constant F4 lens but it doesn't look like Sony is going any further ...Pity cos I love a shoulder mount camera so trying to adapt to DSLR form factors is tough but technology marches forward and it's all about sales !!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fotis View Post
Sony doesn't seem they really believed in that camera
That's it, just like they don't believe in the VG series anymore, I can only guess but wouldn't be surprised if bad sales are the reason for them to stop investing in improvements.
Old March 21st, 2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I loved the form factor of my EA-50's and they were a lot more comfortable to use than it's bigger brothers. Sadly the image did suck a bit compared to more up to date cameras and with manual heavy lenses it tended to be front heavy but it was still my fav form factor. Sony DID bring out the M series EA-50 which supposedly had a video APSC sensor rather than a photo sensor and came with a shorter constant F4 lens but it doesn't look like Sony is going any further ...Pity cos I love a shoulder mount camera so trying to adapt to DSLR form factors is tough but technology marches forward and it's all about sales !!
Yes, we use the EA-50M ourselves, with the 18-105/4 lens the end result is quite good (and, if you do not like the built-in codec, you can use an external recorder via HDMI).

N.F.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Nick

Sadly the technology is outdated and the price still excessive. I'm using Lumix FZ2500 bridge cameras that are 1/4 of the EA-50 price and outperform the EA-50's by a lot even though they only have a 1" sensor and can shoot 4K in not only UHD but in cinema as well. I paid over $4000 for my EA-50's and a mere $1500 for the Lumix cameras. Technology moves fast!!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:31 AM   #8
Trustee

I still love and hate mine, I love the images and the options but I hate not having good lens solutions. So I am going back to the good ole days and looking at the UX-90 or 180. I got my money out of them though.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

You can't really compare the price of a fz2500 with a ea50 as they are 2 different camera's with a totally different formfactor. The ea50 can be considered a much more complete production camera out of the box.
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Nick

Sadly the technology is outdated and the price still excessive. I'm using Lumix FZ2500 bridge cameras that are 1/4 of the EA-50 price and outperform the EA-50's by a lot even though they only have a 1" sensor and can shoot 4K in not only UHD but in cinema as well. I paid over $4000 for my EA-50's and a mere $1500 for the Lumix cameras. Technology moves fast!!!
Fortunately, my friend bought the EA50M less than two years ago, at a rather reasonable price.
I think that he got his money' worth back from the ability of recording long form events and the lens compatibility with his a6000 cameras (basically, he shares the 18-105/4 lens between them and his EA50).

If Sony really wants to refresh the series, a 4K capability with a newer codec set and S&Q, plus a newer sensor might be a very attractive option for the people not keen to spend lots of money on an FS5.
For this, the lack of ND filters is not a great problem (but I think that Sony managed to include a good one in FS5 despite the short flange distance).

At the moment, though, I am gravitating towards the 1" camcorders like the NX100 and Z150, to complement the EA50 and the a6000 working today.

N.F.
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:18 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
If Sony really wants to refresh the series, a 4K capability with a newer codec set and S&Q, plus a newer sensor might be a very attractive option for the people not keen to spend lots of money on an FS5
And if pigs could fly...It's better to work with what is available now then to dream about what may be.
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #12
Major Player

Yeah the EA50M is discontinued though some stock is still available at some places.
I bought the UEA50U new back in 2012(or 13?) and have liked it.
I tested it with an HD 1080P monitor today against my old Panasonic HMC150 and also the Panasonic FZ2500 because I was curious to see how they compare in lowish light. Never took the time to set them up on a test before and am filming an event this weekend.

The big sensor EA50U (APS-C) is horrible. At 0 gain at f/3.5 it is seriously dark.
The HMC150 (1/3") is much brighter at 0 gain.
The FZ2500 (1") is semi ok at 0 gain but the HMC wins hands down.
It is remarkable that the newer tech and much larger sensor EA50 is so much worse than the old HMC150. I know the HMC's 1080P is lower resolved resolution but for that much difference in sensor size you'd think the EA50 could overcome it. It's terrible.

Once you gain up the EA50 to 24db then it's brighter than the HMC150 at 0 gain. but the picture quality deteriates noticeably so the higher res chip of the Sony doesn't look any better than the lower res chips of the HMC. Gain up the HMC150 to 3db or 6db and it holds it's own.
The FZ2500 gains up to 15db and beats them all in picture quality. It can even gain up past that to overexpose.
Outdoors in good light the EA50 clearly beats the HMC but you have to work around the missing NDs.

I understand the EA50M was noticably brighter than the EA50U.
It's unfortunate that the EA50 line is dead now. They should have put the better sensor in it to start with and ND, rather than try to protect the FS700 sales.
I love the form factor of the EA50 much more than all my other cameras. Having buttons for functions and places to attach stuff is a big plus.
If they brought out a 4K version with ND I'd get it.
Heck, they could even put the equivalent of the FZ2500 sensor in it and a fixed lens even. I guess that would be RX10iv.
Or the A6500 sensor in it and retain E-mount.
Or the A7Sii sensor and look out!! :)
David Banner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)