DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   News on 2 NXCAM $3500 camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/492667-news-2-nxcam-3500-camcorders.html)

Steve Mullen March 5th, 2011 03:40 AM

News on 2 NXCAM $3500 camcorders

Interesting news on 2 NXCAM $3500 camcorders coming soon. One is weather proof while the other is 3D.

Neither seems to be a "pro" version of the VG10.

I've made contact with a good "contact" at Sony and literally never received an answer. Which is a first. It may also mean, Sony Japan has not provided any information to the USA division.

Sony?s Big (NAB Show) Reveal ? Part I

Robert Young March 5th, 2011 12:50 PM

Re: News on 2 NXCAM $3500 camcorders

Interesting...
I'm wondering if the super compact, weatherproof cam isn't just a version of the new CX700 with a removable audio (XLR) section and a lens shade.
If so, $3,500 would be quite a premium for a few add-ons.

Steve Mullen March 5th, 2011 11:43 PM

Japan fiscal year ends at the end of march and the yen is 82 perhaps going to 76 and I think Sony lost money again this year. Hard to raise consumer prices so it will be the prosumer and pro products that jump to try to increase profits.

This may explain the $2000 VG10 which we really wanted to be more like $1500.

Apples iPhone maker is bringing out it's own phone. HTC already has. I'd expect that China companies will go from builders to direct sellers in the next few years. This is exactly what the Japanese did to us. In a bad world economy do we really care if a product was made in china and a famous Japanese labor is stuck on if we can buy the same thing except it has a funny sounding Chinese name. Remember Samsung and Kia , etc. once sounded funny.

Somehow Sonys semiconductor expertise isn't working against Samsung and Vizeo. Maybe just about everybody can order up a custom chip -- many of which are created in the USA and built in Taiwan.

Frankly I don't think 3D is going to bring profits to anyone.

Bottom line I think you may be correct. Take consumer products, from which you have disabled functions, and sell a version with the features back on. Presto, almost $1750 in pure profit minus the handle and mic.

Robert Young March 6th, 2011 12:17 AM

Well, Sony has sort of done it already when they morphed the CX550 into the MC 50, but the price difference was only around $300.
Maybe this time around the similarities won't be as nakedly obvious.
Or, maybe it will really be a new camera.

Dave Blackhurst March 6th, 2011 04:49 PM

IMO, will have to be an entirely new and as yet unseen camera - there's no way to make the CX700 "pro" enough - the way the menu system is done, it's marginal at best for use in anything other than auto... too darn hard to get to any settings.

Sony needs to replace the aging FX7 and FX1000 tape based cameras, and compete with the new Canon and Panasonic offerings (although I guess the new Canon is a gussied up consumer camera - still looks pretty nifty!).

We'll know soon enough!

As for the world economy, it all may be moot if middle east unrest continues and oil is $200 a barrel. Going to be an interesting ride the way things are going.

Robert Young March 6th, 2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1625264)
IMO, will have to be an entirely new and as yet unseen camera - there's no way to make the CX700 "pro" enough - the way the menu system is done, it's marginal at best for use in anything other than auto... too darn hard to get to any settings.

Well, that would suit me fine.
I recently sold my EX1 because it's more camera than I need anymore, but I'm finding that the CX550 and VG10 are not quite enough. I would love to see a scaled down single chip version of something like the NX5- full raster 1080, with all of the NX5 pro features, removable XLRs, etc. for $3,500.
To my eye, there is currently a gap in the Sony line up right at that spot.
However, if this new cam really does have an "incredably small footprint", it may be short of the surface real estate needed to nest the level of non-menu controls we like in a pro camera.
I guess more will be revealed at this year's NAB.

Steve Mullen March 7th, 2011 04:53 AM

"However, if this new cam really does have an "incredably small footprint", it may be short of the surface real estate needed to nest the level of non-menu controls we like in a pro camera."

That's an important point I missed. I can't use a Coke can camcorder. Without some mass the camera seems to have a life of its own. (Of course, my oen arm is part of the problem.)

The VG10 with the 1855 is perfect for me.

But, good switches are expensive -- witness the witless buttons on the VG10. I fear Japan will move to touchscreens simply to keep cost at a minimum.

Which reminds me, I'll post a sidebar on the "Incredible Shrinking CCD" that didn't make it into my book. It's a fun, but relevant look at why camcorders have become the way they are.

Of course when gas hit's $200 -- I guess many of use will not be buying new camcorders. :(