DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Received my HDR-AX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/472974-received-my-hdr-ax2000.html)

Jason Goldberg February 12th, 2010 11:01 PM

Received my HDR-AX2000

I placed an order with B&H on 2/10 and received the unit today. Let me know if anyone has any specific questions.

Ryan Valle February 13th, 2010 12:41 AM

Congrats on the camera. I'm just really interested in hearing your overall thoughts on the unit. I've been searching high and low for reviews on the ax2000 and I can't find any good oones. All that comes up are news on its releases...

My main concerns/questions are it's battery life under normal usage at highest possible quality recording using the standard battery included and also what it's final footage looks like raw (clips straight out of the memory card) - if it really is comparable to the z5 and z7 video quality or better. Also, how does it's compression algorithm/method compare with the Panasonics?

That's about it.

Cristian Adrian Olariu February 13th, 2010 01:57 AM

Congratulations.
Some raw footage will be nice to see here. Especially in low light. Thanks.

Senad Svraka February 13th, 2010 05:26 PM

Hi Jason

Do you have the means to compare your new baby to Sony EX1 and/or Canon XH-A1s? I would be very much interested to figure out whether the AVCHD at 25Mbps can stand up to XDCAM at 35Mbps in picture quality (editing issues put aside).

Thanks.
Senad

Jason Goldberg February 14th, 2010 02:13 AM

We'll I'm definitely not qualified to compare it's image quality or codec quality to any serous cameras. I have a strong interest in videography, but not much experience. My last two cameras were a VX-2000 and an HDR-HC11.

I just did a bit of experimenting, and I couldn't discern any noise from the Active Steadyshot mode. (I don't know this for sure, but I assume that Standard Steadyshot mode is EIS and Active is OIS). As you might expect the on-camera mics pick up a ton of camera noise, but even with the gain jacked up, I didn't hear any extra noise with the Active Steadshot mode engaged and with some camera movement. I have a ME-66 gun in the Mic mount, and it get's a bit of camera handling noise as well, but less than the internal Mics. The audio seems nice and quiet with my wireless lav, but any Mic attached to the camera has some noise. It doesn't seem that Active Steadyshot makes the noise any worse, however.

I'm happy to upload some sample files, but in terms of low light samples, what sort of light level is most illustrative, and with what camera settings? High Gain/Slow Shutter/Wide Open Iris? Auto?

In terms of battery life, it will take me a while to experience that, but I can tell you it comes with a NP-F570 battery which is not very large/heavy. I bought a NP-970 which is quite a bit larger (I also own a NP-960 from my old VX-2000 but it's not clear if that battery can be used with this camera or not).

Rick Lutec February 14th, 2010 05:53 PM

Congrats on your purchase of the HDR -AX2000
I have a feeling many event, archival and budget minded shooters who have used or work with various similar spec-like Sony camcorders will be eyeing this cam partly because of it's price and that it has XLR inputs.
Sean Seah gave a review of the more pro-like HVR-NX5 camcorder and mentioned that he thought when using the gain beyond 6db the noise level was unacceptable for his personal liking.
One of Sony's strong points with the camcorders they develop is that they're known to be among the best at providing good illumination for low light situations while also being able to go to higher gain levels with less noticeable noise than their competitors.
I'd be interested to know how good the illumination of this cam is in low lit areas when at 1/60 and showing how it does handle gain and noise from 0 to 18db or higher if it does do that.
Thanks again for offering to do some tests.
The sharks are circling
Rick

Senad Svraka February 14th, 2010 09:10 PM

Low light test

Hi Jason,

Well, there are two typical situations in low light environment: a high contrast situation (for example when you have a light source in your frame) and a low contrast situation (when there's simply not enough light, like in a dark room). These two situations would produce very different pictures, yet they can both be considered "low light".

So, in order to get some idea on your cam's performance, you would need to try both of these. You can, for example, set a lamp on your desk and switch off all other lights. Your high contrast situation would be the one with the lamp in the frame. To get the low contrast situation, swing the camera by 90 degrees so that the lamp will not be in the frame any more. Notice that the general level of light in the room would remain the same... Try also to include some shiny metal, or very white objects in the shot as well as some dark objects, in order to have the full range from pitch dark to full white.

Now, the procedure. Zoom out at the widest zoom position. Thus, you will have the maximum aperture, but also the shot will include shadows where the grain is likely to appear. Set the shutter at 1/60 as Rick has suggested. Lock the aperture at the largest iris opening. Then apply different levels of gain in both "high contrast" and "low contrast" frame. All other things being equal, (aperture and exposure) you will be able to see how the camera handles the gain.

If you manage to get quite a decent picture without applying any gain, that would mean that either the camera is very sensitive our your lamp is too strong. In that case you can replace the lamp with a candle, and repeat the tests. Don't zoom on the candle - just stay wide opened.

After this, you can try to shoot with slower shutter speeds, first with no gain, than adding the gain progressively.

You can as well try to see how the camera handles such situations in full auto mode. It probably would add too much gain, but I don't know.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the tests and please keep us posted on results.

Regards. Senad

Jason Goldberg February 15th, 2010 12:20 AM

I uploaded some sample files, and started a new thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-...ml#post1486246

Michael Liebergot February 15th, 2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Lutec (Post 1486162)
Congrats on your purchase of the HDR -AX2000
Sean Seah gave a review of the more pro-like HVR-NX5 camcorder and mentioned that he thought when using the gain beyond 6db the noise level was unacceptable for his personal liking.
Rick

What I would like to know is if the camera was used in full "AUTO" or "MANUAL" settings?
If the camera was tested in full "AUTO" then the test is null in my opinion. As the only true way to test a camera to it's fullest is by running it in MANUAL settings.

Without knowing of the test was done suing AUTO settings, which it probably was, I wouldn't put any creadance into it.