DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Resetting file numbering (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/476194-resetting-file-numbering.html)

Daniel Paquin April 4th, 2010 07:27 PM

Resetting file numbering

I did not see anywhere in the books where this is being explained.

I would like to know if there is a way to setup, or define the naming convention for the video sequence file being created by the camera.

For example, I've got two NX5U camera and would like to identify in the name from which camera the shots are coming from.

All files stored under MP_ROOT/101PNV01 directory all start with M2U followed by five digit numbers. When the capacity of a file number exceeds 9999, another folder is created to record new movie file. The next directory will be 102PNV01 and the first file recorded under that directory would be M2U00001.MPG

If I rename the file on the SDHC card from M2U00001.MPG to M2U0501.MPG the next file created will then be M2U0502.MPG. If I rename the file MU20502.MPG to MU209999.MPG, the directory 103PNV01 is then created and the first file created is MU200001.MPG.

The fourth digit from the left never gets modified, it is always 0. It would be great if I could be able to say, video files created on camera one starts with MU21xxxx.MPG and video files created with camera two have their names starting with MU22xxxx.MPG.

Does anyone know if that is possible?

P.S.: I've played and played with files names of the the SDHC cards on my Mac, deleted files, emptied the garbage can from the Mac. Everything works great. When I push the video index button, files that are no longer on the SDHC files but are in the database are displayed in grey with a question mark and that is OK with me. I've recorded on the NX5U cameras after doing this, over and over. It works ! I know I am pushing it, why not?

Regards!

Ron Evans April 4th, 2010 08:16 PM

You should be able to do this with the user bits in the time code. I know you have problems using the timecode but I am sure in the future this will be sorted out.

Ron Evans

Daniel Paquin April 5th, 2010 08:27 AM

Thanks Ron for the suggestion.

However, having in the timecode would not meet my requirements. I need to have this number in the filename at the time of recording.

The MPEG2 files are then loaded in Toast Titanium to create DVD with the encoding parameter set to "Never". For the short program I am filming I am able to make up to 8 DVDs in 20 minutes time ready to be used on home DVD reader. Each of those DVDs contains 3 to 4 sequence video of 4 to 6 minutes each.

The filename is a way for me to sort the files and relate them to the subjects I am filming. Also, it would help trouble shooting, especially when filming with more than one camera.

Ron Evans April 5th, 2010 09:28 AM

The file numbering on all the AVCHD cams I have ( NX5U, SR11, XR500) is always date and time as set on the camera clock. You have the option of deliberately setting the cameras with a different year to distinguish them and/ or time too. Leave GPS off or it may reset the time!!!

Ron Evans