DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Impressions Of NX5U After Two Weeks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/476362-impressions-nx5u-after-two-weeks.html)

John Mulvihill April 7th, 2010 02:39 AM

Impressions Of NX5U After Two Weeks

I use the NX5U as a Stringer gathering local news events mostly (95%) at night. The NX5U replaces a DVX100B (now a back up rig) so this is what my impressions are based on.

The way I use this camera is generally in low light field night time ENG.

Pros

Great Low Light

Manual Controls

Simultaneous Dual Format Recording (w/external H/D)

External Stock Mic

LCD Touch Screen

Expanded Focus

SDI-Out

Cons

Low Light Auto Focus

AVCHD With FCP (short term problem)

Wish List

Being able to xfer files both ways between media types

Ability to stamp (place bug) on video files

Tans Mark April 7th, 2010 03:45 AM

Dear John,

What do you think about the autofocus speed and accuracy of NX5 at normal light ?

John Mulvihill April 7th, 2010 09:38 AM

Here I am sitting in a parking lot at 0430 hrs waiting for something tragic to happen (by the way it did, one more ATM theft). Almost all of my shooting is at night. Here is a post I did on you tube that if it weren't for the eye candy this would have never made it to edit. I was using the LCD while shooting and it looked sharp as can be but finished product was not.

YouTube - 040310 EURO Bash

The jury is still out on a final decision regarding the NX5U auto focus. One thing I will tell you is that I am glad that the expanded focus button is next to my index finger.

Regards,

John

Heath McKnight April 7th, 2010 10:09 AM

I just don't like the Auto Focus option on any camera, and the button to get a quick focus isn't very quick on the NX5U (or most cameras I've used). Interesting footage.

Heath

Tans Mark April 7th, 2010 12:17 PM

John,

Thank you for the answer.

John Mulvihill April 7th, 2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 1511125)
I just don't like the Auto Focus option on any camera, and the button to get a quick focus isn't very quick on the NX5U (or most cameras I've used). Interesting footage.

Heath

I warned you it wasn't very good. I think that was the second time I hit the record button in the field. The whole point of showing that video was the fact that is was very soft while the view finder/LCD did not show just how soft it was. I am embarrassed by the quality. Very well could have been operator error. I was focused on those two asian girls to bad the camera wasn't.

John

Heath McKnight April 7th, 2010 04:43 PM

John,

It's tough to get focus in dark situations no matter what camera, though I'm sure the EX1 is slightly easier with its 1/2" sensors.

Heath

Stas Bobkov April 7th, 2010 04:50 PM

How is its low light performance compered to DVX100? Have you tried them side by side with open iris and zero gain?
Thanks.

Heath McKnight April 7th, 2010 05:09 PM

Stas,

I haven't, but back in late 2004, my friend/colleague Jon Fordham and I did a side-by-side with the DVX100a and the FX1, and if I'm not mistaken, the FX1 was wide open (0 dB gain) and the DVX100a was at around F 3.4 or something. Here's that review:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...x1-review.html

This is because there are over a million small pixels on three 1/3" CCDs, whereas the DVX100a featured just a few hundred thousand larger pixels on three 1/3" CCDs, giving it an advantage as far as light is concerned.

heath

Stas Bobkov April 7th, 2010 05:35 PM

Thanks Heath,
that sounds about right to me (a couple of F-stops difference DVX100 vs FX1).

I've always been sceptical about HD cameras low light performance, so I'm wondering if anyone did a real test of the two using DVX100 as some sort of a reference, just to give me an idea of what it is, preferably in F-stops.
Looking for an upgrade for a DVX100 too.

Tans Mark April 7th, 2010 05:55 PM

John:

One last question before we say that the autofocus is bad. May I ask you to look at these 2 videos, please ? They are not my videos. I would like to know that based on your experience with nx5, do you think that nx5 can make such videos with autofocus ?

YouTube - Josh Berry @ motormile debut in final practice

YouTube - BMW E21.net meeting 1

Thank you.

John Mulvihill April 7th, 2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stas Bobkov (Post 1511371)
How is its low light performance compered to DVX100? Have you tried them side by side with open iris and zero gain?
Thanks.

I can tell you without a comparison. I shot a fatal motorcycle accident two nights ago under mercury vapor lights. IMO the worst of all video light. The performence of the NX5U is by far supeior over the DVX100B. With the panny I have to run 200 watts of on board (2 100w Frezzi mini fills) lighting. In a comparison what is important to me is not a side by side same settings but what the setting are to make usable footage and how good is it. I can tell you hands down the Sony is better. Remember I sometimes have to shoot not just in low light but almost no light.

If it's not to busy tonight I will do some comparisons using same setting and usable footage settings. I have to make a disclaimer that I know the panny like the back of my hand in low light while I'm still learning the ability of the Sony.

You can see some footage on my You Tube page. YouTube - SanDiegoMedia's Channel
I think I've only posted two vids so far using the sony.

John

John

John Mulvihill April 7th, 2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tans Mark (Post 1511398)
John:

One last question before we say that the autofocus is bad. May I ask you to look at these 2 videos, please ? They are not my videos. I would like to know that based on your experience with nx5, do you think that nx5 can make such videos with autofocus ?

YouTube - Josh Berry @ motormile debut in final practice

YouTube - BMW E21.net meeting 1

Thank you.

Without a dought. My shooting is different then most because sometimes the question is action shot lower quality or good quality but no action. At times I have no set up or adjustment time when I arrive at a scene.

John Mulvihill April 7th, 2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 1511363)
John,

It's tough to get focus in dark situations no matter what camera, though I'm sure the EX1 is slightly easier with its 1/2" sensors.

Heath

Heath, The panny did a good job. It seemed not to lock into a almost in focus mode where the Sony does. I have been proceeding with great caution until I get up to speed on the Sony. Besides that it's a 4 grand camera. can you really expect to shoot Ben Hur at night?

Thanks,

John

Heath McKnight April 7th, 2010 09:04 PM

John,

Which Panasonic?

Heath

Heath McKnight April 7th, 2010 09:05 PM

You're right, John! I remember talking to my friends and colleagues when some fancy, sub-$5,000 HD camera came out, and we'd be excited. Then we'd criticize why the camera didn't have 24p, why it had 1/4" sensors, etc. Then we'd remember... it's a sub-$5,000 camera; a lot of money to be sure, but it isn't an F900r.

Heath

Chris McMahon April 7th, 2010 09:34 PM

Pretty sure he's talking about a DVX100B, Heath.

John Mulvihill April 7th, 2010 09:51 PM

DVX100B

I shot a scene two nights ago using both cameras. Motorcycle fatal off a freeway overpass.

I started editing it but I have to go now and try to make some money. Should have it done by tomorrow. Two cameras side by side in the same frame. The DVX was manual and the Sony in auto so you'll have to keep that in mind. Both were SD with one 100 watt mini fill ea. Stay tuned in for news at eleven?

John

Heath McKnight April 8th, 2010 05:38 AM

Thanks for the update, John. I loved the DVX100a and b, though I sometimes scratched my head at some of the (minor) changes between the two, like how tapes pop out.

I only had the NX5U for a week, and I thought it was a fabulous camera, albeit with it's faults. And it's probably not fair that I use an EX1 regularly, but the NX5U is a great camera if you're looking for a tapeless HD camera (Sony or otherwise) and don't want to spend more than $4-5,000.

Heath

John Mulvihill April 8th, 2010 09:10 PM

Here is my not so scientific comparison of the DVX100B vs NX5U. Last night was very busy (3 shot w/1 dead & freeway gas tanker truck fire) so I did not have a chance to do a real same same comparison between the two cameras.

The DVX I can adjust in my sleep. The NX5U I fumble in the light to adjust with the manual open. At times in this video I am running 200 watts of on camera lighting mostly with the DVX. I shot with two cameras at this scene because of ingest, focus and any other NX5U issue. The DVX was my insurance policy. As time permits I will do a side by side same same settings test between these to cameras.

YouTube - Sony NX5U vs Panasonic DVX100B 04/08/10

Sony NX5U was on full auto @ 21db

Panasonic DVX100B on Manual ex/focus @ 12db

Stay tuned?

John

Heath McKnight April 8th, 2010 09:15 PM

21 vs 12 dB? Over a million tiny pixels on a 1/3" chip (three of those) vs. a few hundred thousand larger pixels on the same size chips. DV cameras like the DVX100B will always win out there.

Heath

John Mulvihill April 8th, 2010 09:29 PM

Heath, I never said it was a fair test. More of a "preview of more (fair) test to come".

John

Dan Asseff April 9th, 2010 07:22 AM

I have the NX5, and this got me thinking about the pani 150 being my 2nd cam. Would it match
up in a wedding scenario? Then I could use it at reception and not worry about rolling shutter.

Forever Moments Video Productions

Heath McKnight April 9th, 2010 01:20 PM

John,

Of course, but the low light sensitivity of the NX5U isn't as good as an HD camera with bigger sensors, or a DV camera. I really love the DVX100 series, and they just rocked in low light!

I've compared (didn't record, sorry) the EX1 and NX5U in low light, and the EX1 won hands down.

Heath