DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Shutter Speed & Peaking (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/478724-shutter-speed-peaking.html)

Ben Moore May 14th, 2010 01:53 PM

Shutter Speed & Peaking

Two Questions here:

1. The Shutter speed at 1080 60i defaults to 60, Shouldnt it be more like 125 at 60i?, Should I change it or leave it?

2. I don't fully understand how to use "Peaking". I know its to help focus, but I don't know how it works exactly.

Thanks for your input

Ben

Adam Gold May 14th, 2010 02:06 PM

Leave the shutter speed alone. It's designed to provide the best motion for nearly all uses. The idea that the shutter speed had to be half (double) the frame rate is an old artifact from the film days when you had a physical bladed shutter. And it actually works, as you're still taking about 30 frames rather than 60 fields.

Peaking just generates a colored line on any sharp edge the cam sees, so when it's turned on you can see where your areas of best focus are. Not necessary if you are using auto focus, but helpful, especially in conjunction with Expanded Focus, if you are focusing manually.

Ben Moore May 15th, 2010 10:29 AM

Thanks Adam!

Ben

Tom Hardwick May 21st, 2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1527061)
Not necessary if you are using auto focus, but helpful, especially in conjunction with Expanded Focus, if you are focusing manually.

Actually Adam I find peaking to be very helpful in auto-focus, especially when you're using the focus assist function. Say you are on a tele setting and the peaking shows that you're focused on the people in the background. You simply give the focus ring a quick twist clockwise (viewed from behind the v'finder) and the camera will automatically focus on the nearer object, and the peaking will confirm which of the nearer people are critically sharp.

Adam Gold May 21st, 2010 02:28 PM

Good point. Never had to adjust the auto-focus in this way but good to know it can be done easily.

Ryan Douthit May 21st, 2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1529761)
Actually Adam I find peaking to be very helpful in auto-focus, especially when you're using the focus assist function. Say you are on a tele setting and the peaking shows that you're focused on the people in the background. You simply give the focus ring a quick twist clockwise (viewed from behind the v'finder) and the camera will automatically focus on the nearer object, and the peaking will confirm which of the nearer people are critically sharp.

Interesting. My NX5U doesn't do this. Is there a setting to enable the function somewhere?

Tom Hardwick May 22nd, 2010 07:50 AM

Yes Ryan, there sure is. God only knows why this isn't default on. Find 'Focus Assist' in the menu, switch it on and never look back. It's one of the most useful little tricks I know, and no run 'n' gunner should be without it.