DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Generic batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/481727-generic-batteries.html)

Bob Krieger July 11th, 2010 07:23 PM

Generic batteries

I tried to use a number of generic "970" batteries that worked quite well with my PD-170 camcorder. These did not work at all, even fully charged, with my AX2000. Antone else experience this "BS"? I have four of these generics and they are now useless to me...

Solution?

I bought a couple of IKAN Sony battery adapters and will repurpose the generics to powering my ENG-44 audio mixer and JAG35 7" monitor. Any other solutions out there?

David Wayne Groves July 12th, 2010 06:07 PM

Just grab the sony brand 970 for $99.00, It will last well over 8hrs using the LCD and even longer with just the viewfinder...I just filmed non stop a Big band concert that lasted over 3 1/2 hrs using the LCD and still had over 4 1/2 hours of life showing on my AX2000 with the 970...It states its good for 12 hours but in the real world 8hrs is a more honest time frame, either way you will not need to buy another battery ......best investment you can buy...

Bob Krieger July 13th, 2010 10:02 AM

Yeah, you right...

I just received my IKAN adapters and the generics work great for the monitor and powering my audio mixer. I just went online to order a couple of REAL 970's from B&H. Actual price right now is $97.90. Funny thing though... a two pack of the same battery from Sony is $269.95!! That I do not understand. you pay almost $70.00 more for LESS packaging? Is that a "green" fee???

Junior Pascual July 19th, 2010 05:16 PM

I just got this battery from Amazon: Maximal Power NP-F950/F970 Replacement Battery for Sony Digital Camera Camcorder for $26.00 with free shipping. It works with no problems at all in my AX2000. It will also recharge in camera with ac adapter. Only negative is cosmetic: the battery case is silver/gray.

David Wayne Groves July 20th, 2010 07:52 AM

What is the actual battery life on your 2nd party 970, and does the LCD show the minutes left on the battery..

Junior Pascual July 20th, 2010 11:27 AM

After an initial charge, the camera lcd displayed the battery life as around 450 minutes. I can't remember exactly but I proceeded to use it for a continuous recording test of about 3 hours and it showed a remaining time of about 250+ minutes. The battery has a stated rating of 7200 mAh. I think that's the same rating of the 970.

Bob Krieger July 20th, 2010 11:43 AM

I bought a couple of used Sony 970's locally and they work just great. The generics (no name) won't work at all in the AX2000. I also bought a couple of Pearstone 975's from B&H thinking I'd use those to power the monitor as well. Tried them with the AX2000 and they work! The meter in the viewfinder reads about 375 minutes charge remaning when the batteries are fully charged. They are my backup option.

So power wise, I'm good. 3 Sony 970's (1 new, 2 used), 2 Pearstone 975's (camera backup and monitor power), and 2 generic no name 970's (field mixer and monitor power only.) I've tried this out (once) and didn't hjave to swap out any batteries. The shot lasted 9 hours total, but I powered stuff down between setups.