DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   What tripod and head are you using for the NX5U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/487917-what-tripod-head-you-using-nx5u.html)

Kevin Kelly November 23rd, 2010 02:50 AM

What tripod and head are you using for the NX5U

Looking for recommendations on tripod and head for the NX5U. Tks, KK

Arkady Bolotin November 23rd, 2010 03:49 AM

Kevin:

I use the Velbon VES538 tripod with the Manfrotto 701HDV video mini head.

The tripod is quite satisfactory: it is light and sturdy; I can mount and dismount it in no time when needed.

The camera is a bit heavy for the Manfrotto 701HDV head, so its counterbalance springs cannot keep the camera from rolling forwards or backwards when the head is tilted. However, apart from this inconvenience, the head works very well; if the tilt knob is locked, the camera motion is smooth and free from jarring or shaking.

Krystian Jones November 23rd, 2010 12:51 PM

I currently use a Velbon DV7000. It was just about fine when I had a PD150 but the NX5 is just too heavy for the head that comes with it. The legs are very good; light and easy to maneuver and set-up with good hight. But as I said the head lets it down: the resistance adjusts are way to stiff and fiddly, it often tilts back or forward with the weight of the camera and often when I try to pan with high resistance it forces the head to unscrew itself from its connection to the legs. This last fact is a very bad design fault.
Am currently saving up for a better tripod so will watch this thread with interest,

Aaron Holmes November 23rd, 2010 01:39 PM

Heheh... Seems everybody is using something of the wrong size. Me too. :) I use a Miller DS-20 head with DV Solo carbon fiber tripod. I deliberately oversized the head out of concern for what else I might hang off the camera--wide angle, light, etc., but have mostly operated it naked, making the head counterbalance a bit stiff. Still works very well.

Best,
Aaron

Les Wilson November 23rd, 2010 02:42 PM

Kevin,
there is nothing special about your camera. There's many manymany threads about tripod heads and legs on dvinfo. You can get answers about heads and legs used for othe cameras ofsimilar weight and size.

The first thing to look for is a sliding plate so you can adjust the center of gravity (cog). He head must support your camera weight. Heads can have Fixed or adjustable counterweight springs. These are what let you tilt up or down and let go without it dipping up or down. Drag resistance for tilt and pan are another thing that may be fixed or adjustable. Without drag, it will be hard to get smooth pans and tilts.

You can look at the specs of a head at b&h or other dvinfo sponsors and see which ones adjust what way and how much. In the other threads, you will see brands like miller, sachtler, cartoni, manfrotto, Libec and some others. As you go thru the specs of those makers models, you will find the ones suitable for you camera. Hope this helps.

Ron Evans November 23rd, 2010 08:16 PM

I use Libec RS250

Ron Evans

Aaron Christiansen November 27th, 2010 01:15 AM

Vision Blue.

Had my first outing at the indoor velodrome last weekend, but waiting to get a new media computer before importing, editing and uploading the footage.

Very inexperienced with videoing and video panning / zooming, so will wait until I have the footage uploaded before discussing my experience further.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_-sINerTwdig/TP...0/DSC04885.JPG

Kevin Kelly November 27th, 2010 05:06 PM

Aaron,

I have been reading everything I can find on the Vision Blue tripod system. I look forward to any additional thoughts on the VB you may have as you put it through its paces.

I am still getting over price "sticker shock" for the various quality tripod/head systems out there. Having just upgraded to a full blown iMac 27" i7 system and about to take the plunge for the HDR-NX5U, I'll be working on the justification for the VB expenditure. Just a matter of time and $ though.

Thanks for the post and the picture.
KK

Aaron Christiansen November 27th, 2010 11:49 PM

That's a strong coincidence, Kevin. I have just put a deposit on an iMac 27" (8GB RAM 1TB HDD), but will probably go Sony Vegas (expecting Sony software to work well with Sony video camera) on Win 7 Pro 64-bit via Bootcamp. I wanted all in one more than anything.

I agree on the sticker shock aspect; B&H showed me $14k tripods!

In still photography it's the lenses that matter most, and my research led me to believe that the tripod / head in videography is up there with the key elements. I already have a cheap Velbon photog tripod / head, but wanted something that is
* going to last
* going to do what I need

without going down the road of buying cheap then upgrading twice till I get something that works as I wish.

Robert Turchick November 28th, 2010 12:56 AM

Tons of threads on this but from a shoot I did a couple of weeks ago, it really became apparent how important the tripod/head is when shooting HD.

When I started, I (like many) bought into the Manfrotto line. I was using an HMC150 and it worked pretty well on a 501HDV head. Or so I thought. After a couple of shoots, got frustrated with jerkiness of the 501 and got a 503HDV head. Much better but since upgrading to the XF300, the 503 is not acceptable. Every single bump and skip in the 503's movement sticks out like a sore thumb. I think this is due to my eye getting much more critical of camera moves. But also the recent shoot I spent a good deal of time zoomed in either most of the way or all the way on the subject (aircraft) and I found it near impossible to make the pans and tilts smooth. (for the record, I'm pretty darn good on earlier tripod/head combos I've rented but can't spend $10-$15K to purchase!)

So in my research on this forum, I have decided to bite the bullet and go with this...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=498220&is=REG
I've always liked Sachtler but couldn't justify buying one til now. My clients may not demand it but in order to move up the food chain as a videographer, I know I need the right tools.
The Vision Blue is another one to consider... it's getting GREAT reviews and is a bit cheaper....hmmmm hard choice!

So this means I really only bought one tripod I shouldn't have. I will be keeping the 503 and it's super-tall sticks for lockdown wide angle shots when I do two camera shoots.
Though I have not used the NX5, I believe it is in the same weight range as my 150 and 300 so if you can spring for it, I'd suggest going for the gusto and know that you won't need another tripod for a very long time! Look for Chris Soucy's thread on tripods as I believe the list he's putting together is all tripods meant for the small to mid-sized cameras.

Ron Evans November 28th, 2010 08:33 AM

I found the same issues as Robert. Went the same route with Manfrotto and have a whole range ending with the 503 on easily adjustable 3051 legs. The problem started with the move to the FX1 and I found that starting and stopping was rough for me ( specially as I cannot admit I am getting older!!!!). So it was this starting and stopping that I was particularly looking for in a tripod and the Libec RS line specifically mentions this in their information. Now having had the RS250 for a few months I am completely satisfied that their advertizing info is justified. Very smooth motion for me with my shaky hands.Variable balance also works great too leaving the camera set wherever its left. I use a Manfrotto LANC remote on the handle that works great.

Ron Evans

Ryan Douthit November 28th, 2010 08:09 PM

I use Bogen 501HDV head with my NX5U (and with A1U's before this). Never had a problem with everyday movements (other than complex diagonal moves). I do find, however, that they can get rattly after a while and need occasional mount adjustments.

Dan Asseff November 29th, 2010 04:11 AM

When I started, I (like many) bought into the Manfrotto line.
So in my research on this forum, I have decided to bite the bullet and go with this...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=498220&is=REG
I've always liked Sachtler but couldn't justify buying one til now. My clients may not demand it but in order to move up the food chain as a videographer, I know I need the right tools.

I'm with Robert. I had the Manfrotto and got tired of the jerky video. bought two Sachtler FSB-6 AND FSB-2.
I wish I would have bought two FSB-6 it is buttery smooth.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions

Kevin Kelly November 29th, 2010 05:05 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great info and opinion!

Perhaps a dumb question, does the camera plate come with the head, or is it a separate component?

Kevin

Arkady Bolotin November 29th, 2010 05:20 AM

Yes, it does (it would be illogical otherwise seeing that in the most cases the camera plate is proprietary to the tripod head).