DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   anyone using shoulder mt. adaptors for nx (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/490816-anyone-using-shoulder-mt-adaptors-nx.html)

Jim Stamos January 27th, 2011 07:27 PM

anyone using shoulder mt. adaptors for nx

ive seen olofs another one that work well with the nx. anyone tried olofs?

Victor Wilcox January 27th, 2011 09:13 PM

I just received the VSB1 - Video Shoulder Brace. I haven't had time to work with it, but it does fit the NX5.

Luc Novovitch January 29th, 2011 10:51 AM

I received mine from Olof yesterday. It's simple and fairly well designed. The base plate has all the holes we need to position the camera and fix a tripod quick release plate. I had a concern about the connection between the short part of the shoulder brace and the wing. The shoulder brace is in two parts. I called Olof who answered fully and graciously my questions. I didn't use it in a real world situation yet, just shooting briefly to get the proper adjustments and have a feel of the setup. From this quick hands-on, a couple of things came to mind - please note that it's a fully personal appreciation, based on my phyiscal built and way of working: the weight distribution is not allevated like I anticipated between front and back. The bulk of it is still on my forearm, and the shoulder part of the brace acts more or less as a stabilizer aid. I think that adding some weight at the end of the shoulder brace should help for the overall distribution of weight. A battery, or something useful adding some weight, should do the trick. My last remark is that for me, at 6.1 and 'beefy' (I like this qualification!), the flat part of the longest part of the shoulder brace could be a little longer. If I engage completely the small part of the brace into the wing plate receiver (a T shaped piece with a thumb screw), the camera would be way to close to my face. As is, the best use, for me, would be to have a Hoodloupe (Hoodloop) installed and use the screen to focus, something I do not want to do. If you look at the pictures that were posted of someone using the Hoodloop, you will notice that the finder is folded up, and is way back at the level of the ear of the user. It seems to me that using a Hoodloop would be the best way to use this brace. Using the finder, in it's normal horizontal position, may not work for everybody. Finally, the fact that the brace is not folding, and that there is a wing on the right side of the camera makes it impossible por me to pack it in the bags I currently use.
Again, it's not a revue or test, only my impressions after setting it up and playing briefly with it. I'm confident that once I start to work with it it will do for me exactly what I expect. And finally, Olof and Sharyn makes it clear that the kit can be returned if it's not what you expected.

John Snyder February 1st, 2011 02:05 PM

Westside AV a.k.a Olof - Shoulder mount for NX5

I have one of Olof's shoulder mounts that he set up for my NX5.

It is THE solution. Do not hesitate getting one. The fact that the "wing" is a bit unwieldy to pack is no big deal. It is easy to remove. If you have a larger PortaBrace case just reconfigure it.

Olof's gear is well thought out and beautifully crafted.

John

Jim Stamos February 1st, 2011 04:55 PM

shoulder brace for nx

john are you utilizing a battery ont he back to balance the cam? i take it you are using the lcd, it seems if you dont use the sony /or anton bauer batt on the back, its not balanced

Mark A. Foley February 2nd, 2011 06:15 AM

I think I've tried about every brace known to man...and finally settled on a DV MultiRig some time ago and will continue now with my nx cams

DV Multi Rig

Not cheap...but once you see the attention to quality on manufacturing, you realize this thing will probably withstand a low yield nucleur blast.

What I really like is the ability to set the camer down on the ground with the rig and (with the back leg swung outward) get a great low agle shot...awesome aisle shot of the bride as she passes for instance....

John Snyder February 2nd, 2011 12:50 PM

Coiunter Weight for Olof's rig

Jim,

I have a 2.5 lb weight on the back of it. Not elegant, but it works fine.

John

Luc Novovitch February 2nd, 2011 01:17 PM

Mark,
I just looked at the rig on their website, but can't figure out if the camera plate, hence the camera, is straight in line with the shoulder brace, or if it is offset. Like everybody else, my right eye is not aligned with the contact point on my shoulder - and I use the finder not the screen of my NX5U to focus , which means my camera must be offset to the left of the shoulder brace.

Lou Bruno February 2nd, 2011 08:20 PM

The plate pivots....no problem with the LCD monitor using the DV RIG.

Jenny Lewis February 3rd, 2011 08:06 AM

Just bought the Cavision with Zoom/Start stop etc controll, looks good only paid £135 UK on ebay brand new unopened

Ray Pegram March 20th, 2011 08:50 PM

Re: anyone using shoulder mt. adaptors for nx

Hi,
I bought mine for my NX5P (Australia) works great. I attached a divers belt weight to the back of mine... painted it black and it works like a charm.... really gives a stable balanced platform which was what I was after. The only bit of criticism is on the shoulder brace there are two screw holes one circular and the other elongated which tends to move the shoulder brace unless super tight, I would prefer the two holes to be straight circular.

But I am more than happy with mine.

Ray