DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Owners of AX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/498115-owners-ax2000.html)

Johnnie Caraballo July 5th, 2011 06:49 PM

Owners of AX2000

Can anyone confirm that this camera works with the New Final Cut Pro X?

David Wayne Groves July 10th, 2011 01:15 PM

Re: Owners of AX2000

It should work fine, my NX5U and AX2000 footage works perfectly with Vegas Pro, Avid Studio, and Pinnacle 15.
I highly doubt you will run into any problems with the new final cut pro....

Daniel Paquin July 10th, 2011 05:30 PM

The real question is : Can Final Cut Pro X read the NX5U/AX2000 AVCHD native format?

If you are using the previous version of Final Cut Pro you will need to use the Log and Transfer button. The AVCHD format will then be uncompressed in the ProRes format of your choice. In the meantime, you have to set the audio on the camera to Dolby not LPCM, well this is what I need to do with my NX5U. With LPCM you may run into problem with Final Cut Pro in doing uncompress to ProRes, in some situation it is just not working.

As per Final Cut Pro X I cannot tell, I do not own a copy.

Hope it helps!

Marc M. Myers July 10th, 2011 08:26 PM

Excuse me for hijacking the thread for a moment but David, you said it works fine with Avid Studio. Have you tried the PCM audio? I'm an old Liquid user and would like to return to something close to that interface. Never got a response at their forum.

Johnnie Caraballo July 10th, 2011 09:08 PM

Thank you for your replies.
I'm seriously considering this for Weddings.

Anyone confirm how this camera performs in low light?
I really dont want to go the DSLR route.

I'm more worried about the 12 min / 2 gb file size limit.
Dropped frames and dropped audio between clip breaks.

Is this still an issue?

Daniel Paquin July 11th, 2011 04:44 AM

yes, it does perform in low light, however you need to set up your gain because, if too dark you will have a lot of grain. In reading on the forum you should find responses to this issue.

As per the 12 min/2gb this is the first time I read there an issue with this. If your issue is at the log and transfer time, this cause by the audio setup on the camera which I gave you an answer to that.

I have been shooting shows with two NX5U cameras, then using multicam in FCP without major problems.

Johnnie Caraballo July 11th, 2011 06:28 AM

Thanks for the info.
Maybe that clipping is only with the AX2000 and not your model?

David Wayne Groves July 11th, 2011 12:54 PM

The included software from sony with the AX2000 as well as the NX5U combines the clips with not dropped frames or audio, I have done several shows with the AX2000 that go well over 2 hours in length and have not had any problems with the audio when the sony software combines the footage...

David Wayne Groves July 11th, 2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc M. Myers (Post 1666116)
Excuse me for hijacking the thread for a moment but David, you said it works fine with Avid Studio. Have you tried the PCM audio? I'm an old Liquid user and would like to return to something close to that interface. Never got a response at their forum.

I will give it a go tonight using footage from my NX5U and let you know how the PCM audio works in Avid Studio...

David Wayne Groves July 11th, 2011 06:54 PM

OK, just brought in a video file from my NX5U with PCM audio enabled into Avid Studio and it recognized the AVCHD Video file as well as the PCM audio, it rendered without any issues at all, so it is compatible with PCM audio....

Johnnie Caraballo July 11th, 2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wayne Groves (Post 1666297)
The included software from sony with the AX2000 as well as the NX5U combines the clips with not dropped frames or audio, I have done several shows with the AX2000 that go well over 2 hours in length and have not had any problems with the audio when the sony software combines the footage...

I was told that program only works on Windows not on a MAC : (

Jay West July 11th, 2011 10:51 PM

That is correct but all is far from lost. First, I believe I read somewhere recently that FCPX and bring in the AVCHD files without audio gaps if you copy the whole media folder from the SD cards. This apparently lets FCP/FCPX read the metadata files that are needed to join the files without audio gaps. Second, there are numbers of threads mentioning a simple script that somebody wrote for copying and joining the files. AFAIK, the little program will run on both PCs and Macs. I don't have time to look for them at the moment but I believe the script joins the files together without audio gaps when run in "terminal" mode on a Mac. Sorry, not a Mac user so can't help much there.

As for your question about low light, please see the response I posted to the similar question you asked about the XA10 versus the AX2000.

Johnnie Caraballo July 12th, 2011 05:38 AM

You're the best Jay!

Daniel Paquin July 12th, 2011 11:20 AM

I am a MAC user and the program provided by Sony does not work on a MAC.

In the meantime, the Log and transfer function provided by FCP makes an excellent job. There are no audio gap which occurs.

When copying AVCHD files from the SDHC cards you MUST copy the entire AVCHD structure onto your hard drive. The FCP log and transfer function will take of everything.

Marc M. Myers July 12th, 2011 08:59 PM

David, thanks for the info.