DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   NX5U upgrade? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/499658-nx5u-upgrade.html)

Wilson Campbell August 16th, 2011 09:41 AM

NX5U upgrade?

I am about to delve into a new camera, and am strongly leaning towards the Sony NX5U, due to many reasons with the profession that I am in (outdoor/ hunting industry).

My only worry is that, as with all technology, I fear that I am about to spend a lot of money (to me) on one piece of equipment and next month Sony will come out with an upgraded version or a better equal camera.

Does anyone know if Sony plans to release a new version of the NX5U or a equal camera?

Thanks for any input.

~Wilson Campbell

Tom Hardwick August 16th, 2011 11:12 AM

Re: NX5U upgrade?

I've not heard a whisper that the NX5 is about to be superseded. Before this happens the Z5 will disappear, and that hasn't happened yet.

Rob Neidig August 17th, 2011 11:15 AM

Rest assured that in today's fast-paced, super competitive world, the second you buy a piece of electronic equipment, it becomes "obsolete". There will ALWAYS be a "better, faster, cheaper, more film-like, super-giant-imaging-chip" camera about to be announced. If you wait until the next camera is announced, you will literally be waiting forever, as they just keep coming out. So as long as we are not right at the edge of a completely new paradigm shift - like moving from SD to HD - then I would say to decide if what's currently available satisfies your needs. Then go for it. Just because a new camera comes out does not make the "old" camera "bad". Then plan on having to upgrade in 3 years anyway. That's just the nature of the beast these days.

Good luck and have fun!

Rob

Ryan Douthit August 17th, 2011 11:28 AM

Also, keep in mind that for many video cameras, when a new one is announced it can be up to 6 months before a) it's available and b) they've "fixed" initial production issues. (My camera was one one of the first 1,000 NX5Us and it had to be sent in for a lens defect.) Point being, even if you buy today, you have at least a 6 month to one year window before a new camera comes out to consider. At this point the only thing I'd want in a NX5U replacement would be 1080 at 60p and even that is a want not a need.

Michael Johnston August 18th, 2011 12:06 AM

I am expecting Sony to reveal the next generation of the NX5 at NAB 2012. However, as Ryan pointed out, that doesn't mean it will be available right away and it will certainly have issues (as the NX5 did) in the first batch that get shipped. Therefore, realistically, this next version (without issues or flaws) probably won't be available until around Spring/Summer 2013.

I thought about waiting as well but between now and then I can make enough to pay for the NX5 ten times over and still buy the new camera when it comes out. I'm expecting wonderful improvements in the next version so I'm looking forward to it.

Z5 & Z7 are NOT going anywhere, mainly because it's the camera of choice for the show Deadliest Catch, That won't hold Sony back from expanding the NXCAM line though. It's clear Sony apparently intends to slowly eliminate the XDCAM disc based line and phase in XDCAM EX as the top tier professional format while establishing the NXCAM (AVCHD) as the second tier professional format. That's great news for NX5 users because, eventually, the NXCAM line will start being accepted at the network level like HDV is accepted today.

Good luck and stay tuned.