DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   NX5 replacement in 2012? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/501346-nx5-replacement-2012-a.html)

John Knight October 6th, 2011 12:50 PM

NX5 replacement in 2012?

Hi all,

I'm currently using the Sony Z7 (HDV) as a main camera, with the NX70 as a secondary camera. I'd love to switch entirely to full HD 50p and will be replacing the Z7 sometime next year.

Are there any rumours yet of a new NX5? Hopefully with 50p?

If not, can someone just make something up?

Michael Johnston October 6th, 2011 02:27 PM

Re: NX5 replacement in 2012?

No, Sony has nothing in the works that anyone is aware of. If they are working on a replacement, the rumors won't start until around December. That is when leaks happen to get people excited about NAB. I doubt Sony replaces the NX5 anytime soon. A Z7 equivalent with a removable lens and 50p, perhaps a NX7, probably won't come until 2013. Even if a replacement is unveiled at NAB, it won't be available until late September 2012. Sorry to bust your bubble.

Matt Sharp October 12th, 2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 1686866)

If not, can someone just make something up?

NX5R with AVCHD 2.0 will be out next summer along with the HXR-FMU256.

James Kuhn October 16th, 2011 12:58 PM

Greetings to all...I guess I'll be the contrarian in the bunch, and hope Sony doesn't come out with a new version of the 'NX5' too soon. I plan on purchasing in the near-future and nothing makes me more angry then buying an expensive item only to have it become obsolete the next day. Now, I'm grown-up enough to understand the minute something is released to the public it becomes 'obsolete', but it still aggravates me. Jus' say'in.

BTW, anyone have a real objection to this camera or know of a deal-breaking technical issue? I've tried to perform my 'due diligence' and researched everything I could find on this website and others. In a perfect world (read: All the $$ I need) I'd love to purchase the Canon XF300/305, however, based upon what I've discovered in my research, the 'NX5' has a lot going for it. The 20X G lens alone is a great feature. I do a little wildlife study on my own time and the old 'stills photog' in me says, nothing can substitute for focal length (I'm sure there's a joke in there.).

Besides, I like the veiled reference to "I, Robot". "All NX5s report to Cyberdyne HQ for instructions." Heh, heh! Oh, well...my inner geek is showing.

Regards,

J.

Matt Sharp October 17th, 2011 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by James Kuhn (Post 1689092)
Besides, I like the veiled reference to "I, Robot". "All NX5s report to Cyberdyne HQ for instructions." Heh, heh! Oh, well...my inner geek is showing.

In iRobot they were NS-5s, and Cyberdyne is from the Terminator series.

The only thing I see the NX5 missing is 1080p60. Although it does have 720p60.

James Kuhn October 17th, 2011 09:13 AM

Matt...damn! Oh well, my 'geek gland' got the best of me on that one. Heh, heh! Thanks for the info on the 'NX5'.

Best regards,

J.

Ron Evans October 18th, 2011 06:40 AM

I have had the NX5U since it came out a couple of years ago and also have Sony consumer SR11, XR500 and CX700. I would like the upgrade to have the following :-

Touch Spot focus like the consumer cams, in fact implement the touch functions from the consumer cams !!!
Assignable AE shift to the control wheel or iris control with on/off to a button.
An AE hold button could be assigned to one of the assignable buttons.
AVCHD 2.0 with 1080P60
Replace sensors with the "R" sensors
Level indicator in the viewfinder like the EX range
Depth of focus indicator

Would likely go and buy the moment it came out !!!!

Ron Evans

James Ratliff October 19th, 2011 05:11 AM

I am looking to upgrade my camera and the NX5U is at the top of the list. This coming from a Canon user. I would love to have a XF300/305 just can't justify the cost. I am not a professional just a dad/coach with a camera. The 20x lens is a must have for my needs (baseball, football).

I do not know of any negatives this camera may have - in it's price range.

Anyone have any experience with the NX5U and sports?

What would be the best mode to use 30/60?

David Heath October 19th, 2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

BTW, anyone have a real objection to this camera or know of a deal-breaking technical issue? I've tried to perform my 'due diligence' and researched everything I could find on this website and others. In a perfect world (read: All the $$ I need) I'd love to purchase the Canon XF300/305, however, based upon what I've discovered in my research, the 'NX5' has a lot going for it. The 20X G lens alone is a great feature.

I've certainly no "real objection" to the camera, far from it - it's great for the money you pay - but whilst more expensive, the XF300/305 are decidedly better still.

As far as lens goes, the biggest difference must be that the NX5 lens has continuously rotating iris and focus wheels without end stops - the XF300 is like the Sony EX, with a "true" manual mode. I'd consider that more significant than a relatively small difference in max focal length.

There are lots of other differences, but the second most major must be that the extra money gets you a full-broadcast spec codec with the XF300 - the NX5 is limited to AVC-HD without an external recorder.

Pay your money and take your choice. You get what you pay for.

Ron Evans October 19th, 2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Ratliff (Post 1689905)
I am looking to upgrade my camera and the NX5U is at the top of the list. This coming from a Canon user. I would love to have a XF300/305 just can't justify the cost. I am not a professional just a dad/coach with a camera. The 20x lens is a must have for my needs (baseball, football).

I do not know of any negatives this camera may have - in it's price range.

Anyone have any experience with the NX5U and sports?

What would be the best mode to use 30/60?

For any fast movement you need the highest frame rate the camera has. In the case of the NX5U either shoot 60i or 720P60.
Ron Evans

Glen Canning October 19th, 2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

BTW, anyone have a real objection to this camera or know of a deal-breaking technical issue? I've tried to perform my 'due diligence' and researched everything I could find on this website and others. In a perfect world (read: All the $$ I need) I'd love to purchase the Canon XF300/305, however, based upon what I've discovered in my research, the 'NX5' has a lot going for it. The 20X G lens alone is a great feature. I do a little wildlife study on my own time and the old 'stills photog' in me says, nothing can substitute for focal length (I'm sure there's a joke in there.).

I researched all I could on the NX5U and didn't find any significant issue before I purchased one. Like you my $$$ go so far and this was about the top of what I was willing to spend based on what I need. So far I've found this camera to be a joy to use. It has all the features I need and has delivered footage I've been very happy with. The ability to simultaneously record to SD cards and the hard drive wasn't something I thought much about but for commercial shooting it has the potential to be a pretty serious blessing.

End stops on the lens would be great but you get used to not having them. I've used both and the stops are by far the best way to go but I wouldn't rule out a camera because it doesn't have them. Comes down to knowing your gear and it's limits. The Sony focus/iris/zoom rings respond quickly and for the long range wildlife stuff you plan to shoot I'm sure you'll be happy.

James Ratliff October 19th, 2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1689919)
For any fast movement you need the highest frame rate the camera has. In the case of the NX5U either shoot 60i or 720P60.
Ron Evans

Thank You,
James Ratliff

Tom Hardwick October 19th, 2011 10:04 AM

I'd swap all of Ron's list for one change - the NX7 needs a bigger, clearer, readable-in-sunlight top screen. And when it's bigger, can we please have the excellent finger-pokin' sized icons that my Panasonic SD900 has, and abandon the NX5's ½ mm font we have at present.

tom.

James Kuhn October 19th, 2011 06:31 PM

David Heath...yes, you're right about the AVCHD Codec, however, once you add a peripheral recorder that issue goes away. At that point you'll be able to ingest at 4:2:2/50Mbps, 4:4:4:/200Mbps, or whatever you want. Kind of moot, wouldn't you say? Out of the box the NX5 is not 'BBC broadcast' compatible, like the XF305.

Regards,

J.

PS,

I do agree about the 'mechanical irus', being an old stills photog I like the tactile feel of a 'real' irus.

J.

Michael Johnston October 19th, 2011 06:57 PM

I got to compare my NX5 to a new Canon XF305 today. To the naked eye, I simply could not tell a difference, even in low light.