DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   the NX5U/AX2000 doesn't do this, right? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/504775-nx5u-ax2000-doesnt-do-right.html)

Todd Bradley January 26th, 2012 01:28 PM

the NX5U/AX2000 doesn't do this, right?

I've got an AX2000, though I've used an NX5U on two or three projects in the past. I also used a buddy's higher end camera for a while, and one of the features I really like is the ability to configure a button to immediately delete the last clip shot.

I shoot a bunch of roller derby and never know when I'm going to get a shot with good action, so I just start shooting whenever it looks like something interesting MIGHT happen. Of course, 90% of the time, it doesn't happen, and I'd like to immediately delete the clip so I don't have to review it when I'm ingesting footage into my editor.

I've never seen any mention of something like this in the AX2000 manual. Is it true that you can't do this with that camera or the NX5U?

Or, if you can do something like this, how do you make it work?

Cheers,
Todd.

Todd Bradley January 26th, 2012 01:45 PM

Re: the NX5U/AX2000 doesn't do this, right?

Oh, related to this, I've never figured out a way to just hit a single button and switch from normal record mode to smooth slow record mode. That would sure make my life easier, too. Is there a way to do this that I just haven't discovered yet?

Michael Johnston January 26th, 2012 09:49 PM

Good question. I'll have to look at it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure you can't do it on the AX2000. That camera is just a stripped down consumer version of the NX5U. What you need is a camera with cache recording. I used to use a Panasonic HPX2000 with 8 second pre-record, meaning when you hit the button it starts recording at 8 seconds prior to hitting the button. Excellent for sports. Just follow the action and as soon as something big happens, hit record and you got it all.

Cristian Adrian Olariu January 27th, 2012 06:11 AM

No, there isn't any function or button similar to "Delete last clip" on NX5/AX2000

Tom Hardwick January 27th, 2012 08:09 AM

That's right - no instant 'delete last clip' so I film my hand in front of the lens for a 'no-go'. Then it's super quick to delete all the 'no-go' clips on the timeline.

Once the cam's in the slo-mo mode it'll stay there, but I realise this isn't what you're after.

Jack Zhang January 31st, 2012 06:31 AM

Hate to break it to ya, but everything you just described exists on the PMW-EX1R.

There are 4 assignable buttons with the ability to set any one to "Last Clip Delete."

There's also an S&Q button (Slow-mo 60fps REC 24fps PLAY) that instantly turns on and off the XDCAM EX variant of smooth slow record. (Which is true 720p, and not quarter-resolution 270p)

And it has Cache Record up to 15 seconds.

Todd Bradley January 31st, 2012 01:24 PM

Yeah, the PMW-EX1R is the "buddy's higher end camera" I was referring to. I sure wish my AX-2000 had those features. The first one would save me a lot of time in post, and the second would save me a lot of time/hassle while shooting. I guess I need to keep saving my pennies, or hope that the successor to the AX-2000 can do those things.

Chad Johnson February 25th, 2012 05:22 PM

Hey Todd! I was just searching to see if your camera could do this, and I found your thread here. Small world. Bummer you can't delete last clip, but the hand thing is a good idea. I do that to mark things I want to watch out for in the timeline.

James Kuhn February 26th, 2012 11:41 AM

Tom...I like the 'hand' in front tip. Thanks.

J.