DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   NX70 Firmware release date. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/505775-nx70-firmware-release-date.html)

Cliff Totten March 2nd, 2012 07:08 PM

NX70 Firmware release date.

Looks like Sony will release the new NX70 firmware on March 22.

Let's hope that they got a handle on this zoom rocker issue. If it truly is a problem with a missing resistor on the control, it's going to be extremely difficult to "feather" that voltage/resistance problem via software into a smooth, variable servo zoom.

It's going to be very interesting to see how they handle it.

Sony | Micro Site NXCAM & AVCHD

Warren Eagleton March 20th, 2012 03:05 PM

Re: NX70 Firmware release date.

I have been able to confirm the firmware release date also as March 22 (Japan) time and below is the pre-release detail of the upgrade for all to study. For me I am still not too happy as progressive zoom control is not mentioned, but oh well, win some loose some:-

HXR-NX70P firmware upgrade - what’s new:
•Improvement of zoom rocker operation(Selectable zoom speed)
•Simultaneous Rec. with internal memory and memory card
•1920x1080/30p, 1280x720/60p for NTSC version, 1280x720/50p for PAL version
•Assignable keys
•Last Scene Review feature
•Face detection window can be turned off by “Display on/off” for line-out purpose
•“Zebra” and “Histogram” can be turned on by “Display on/off” for line out purpose.

FAQ - firmware upgrade
General Questions:
1.Do we need to pay for the upgrade?
•No, the upgrade is free of charge.
2.How do we perform the upgrade?
•Upgrade can be performed by downloading the file from Sony’s web site.
3.Can the upgrade be done at a local Authorised Service Centre.?
•Yes

HXR-NX70P :
1.How does the zoom rocker operation improve?
•We will add another zoom speed which can be selected in the menu. User can select their desired zoom speed according to their needs
2.What is the “Simultaneous Rec”?
•For back-up purpose, the same file will be recorded on the internal memory and memory card. However, HD and HD recording is supported, and individual trigger is not available
3.HXR-NX70 does not have any assign keys, which buttons will become assignable keys?
•“EXPANDED FOCUS” button and “HISTOGRAM” button will become assignable
4.What is the “Last Scene Review”?
•By pressing the “Last Scene Review” button which can be assigned, user will be able to playback the clip which was shot last. Playback will start from the beginning of the clip
5.What are the advantages of turning off the face detection window?
•It will allow to output picture with no OSD, therefore it will be suitable when using an external recorder or streaming to other devices.

John Knight March 20th, 2012 05:54 PM

"However, HD and HD recording is supported, and individual trigger is not available"

What the hell does this mean?

Mike Beckett March 21st, 2012 02:44 AM

I'm assuming that is a Google translation of Japanese... I'm left a bit bewildered by that one.

To be perfectly frank, I'd be more excited if they could give me £2000 with the free update so I could part-exchange my NX70 for another camera.

Or maybe I'm just feeling especially grumpy this morning.

Ron Evans March 21st, 2012 07:03 AM

On the NX5U the FMU128 can record HD and the cards SD, or both HD etc. Since the NX5U has two start/stop buttons( one on the grip and the other on the top handle) these can be assigned independently to either start the cards or the FMU128 . So it is possible to leave the FMU128 recording and start the cards for selected scenes in either SD or HD as needed.

Tend to agree with you Mike. The NX70 is $2000 more for waterproofing over the CX700 and for a little more the NX5U provides a lot more.

Ron Evans

John Knight March 21st, 2012 09:54 PM

OK, 5pm on 22nd March in New Zealand at the moment and waiting for firmware update to appear - it's 1am in Japan... come on Sony... got a wedding in 36 hours and would love to test out this AMAZING update first....

Warren Eagleton March 22nd, 2012 12:35 AM

Careful, not what I would do just before a job! Do it when you have time to spare, not all firmware updates are straight forward. Manage your risk, unless you have a backup?

John Knight March 22nd, 2012 12:57 AM

Yes. I think you might be right. I have a wedding job on Saturday then a couple of weeks off... might get the wedding out the way and update on Sunday. At least then someone might have tried first and give some feedback. Must be patient.... :)

John Rakis March 22nd, 2012 02:10 PM

It looks like the release of the firmware has been delayed. From Pro.Sony.Com:

"A firmware upgrade for the HXR-NX70U has been revised for planned release date of March 29, 2012."

Matt Sharp March 22nd, 2012 03:31 PM

At lease we didn't get delayed all the way to April 19th like the FS100. I'm not holding my breath though.

Mike Beckett March 22nd, 2012 04:05 PM

Humm.

It isn't great customer service to wait until the 22nd is nearly over to tell us that it's now the 29th.

Ah well.

Warren Eagleton March 22nd, 2012 07:49 PM

To state the obvious, the whole saga of the NX70 has been one of disappointment, and a complete indifference to the customers satisfaction. Lets hope the firmware is worth all this waiting? I would just like my money back really & who could blame me.

Bryan Scott March 24th, 2012 03:13 PM

All I can say is I'm largely satisfied with the camera for the original application it was purchased. That application needed superior image stabilization from a light weight weather resistant camcorder delivering 1080/60p. Today after placing the camera in other production rolls in our commercial production department I would like to expand its capabilities and the zoom is a limiting factor. Like many of you I was looking for that download on March 22 and was disappointed with the extension. Let's hope they keep it to only a weeks delay.

John Knight March 28th, 2012 04:01 PM

Currently 11am in New Zealand on 29th March - no new firmware showing on the Sony site yet... I haven't got any jobs on this weekend so keen to try it out asap and report back how it goes...

Mike Beckett March 29th, 2012 02:07 AM

I'm not holding my breath... I seem to remember we were all eagerly waiting last week at the same time, and all that changed was the release date being quietly delayed.

I'm amazed that Sony can't operate an email list for something like this. I contacted Prime Support in the UK last year asking about this, and the answer was to keep checking the website "in March", or to contact them again (and they'd probably say "keep checking the website"!).