DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   External stereo Microphone for the NX5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/510439-external-stereo-microphone-nx5.html)

David Arendt September 4th, 2012 11:53 AM

External stereo Microphone for the NX5

Hi,

I want to use an external stereo microphone on the NX5. Actually I am thinking of a Rode NT4 with Rode MD5 shockmount. Has anyone any experience with this combination ? Does the MD5 shockmount fit in the NX5 microphone clamp ?

Thanks in advance,
David Arendt

Ryan Jones September 13th, 2012 06:18 AM

Re: External stereo Microphone for the NX5

I'd recommend you don't use the NX5 microphone clamp. Mine is saggy and rubbish, so I fit my Rode SM5 shockmount and when you load in a NTG3 it just flops about.

Not sure what the MD5 shockmount is, but I'd run an SM3 in the front hotshoe and you should be right.

David Arendt September 13th, 2012 02:54 PM

Well finally I decided to buy the Audio Technica BP4025 due to the weight of the Rode NT4. MD5 was an error, I meant SM5. I had bought the SM5 also to use it with the BP4025 but even with the 270g (BP4025) + 105g (SM5), the microphone clamp isn't stable enough. The BP4025 alone in the clamp is ok, so I am currently evaluating if a shockmount is necessary and if so, I will probably buy the SM3.

Dan Herrmann September 19th, 2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Jones (Post 1753155)
I'd recommend you don't use the NX5 microphone clamp. Mine is saggy and rubbish, so I fit my Rode SM5 shockmount and when you load in a NTG3 it just flops about.

Not sure what the MD5 shockmount is, but I'd run an SM3 in the front hotshoe and you should be right.

All the great mics do not fir the NX5 Shock mount- We all use gaffers tape to widen the mic so it fits snug when the clamp is closed.
Not too snug as you need a little give for the "shock"

Giampaolo Carbonara September 29th, 2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Arendt (Post 1753260)
Well finally I decided to buy the Audio Technica BP4025 due to the weight of the Rode NT4. MD5 was an error, I meant SM5. I had bought the SM5 also to use it with the BP4025 but even with the 270g (BP4025) + 105g (SM5), the microphone clamp isn't stable enough. The BP4025 alone in the clamp is ok, so I am currently evaluating if a shockmount is necessary and if so, I will probably buy the SM3.

Hi David, the specs are really promising, it will be a good bargain for sure. Is there a way you can post an audio sample taken from a live event?

David Arendt October 3rd, 2012 10:12 AM

Until now, I have only used the BP4025 for one event, but due to privacy concerns, I can't post an audio sample from this event.

I bought an SM4 shockmount, as the SM5 I had bought is unusable with the NX5 microphone clamp.

In the camcorder Menu, a had set gain to -6db as in most cases, this gives a good compromise for general recording with levels at 5. For louder environments, the -10db switch on the mic is also very usefull to change gain quickly without going through menus.

From the sound representation itself, I found that I needed to add an equalizer in post to add a bit to the high frequencies above 8khz to get a result of my liking, but this might have also been due to room characteristics.

Stelios Christofides October 6th, 2012 03:04 PM

David you are not happy with the microphone supplied?

stelios

David Arendt October 6th, 2012 04:01 PM

Sometimes I need to record in loud environments, therefor I was not sure whether the internal microphone would be suitable. The BP4025 is usable up to 150db. The external shotgun microphone delivered with the camcorder is mono only but for some projects I need stereo.

Stelios Christofides October 7th, 2012 08:12 AM

David if the microphone you are going to buy is stereo, then are you going to use both XLR inputs of the camera? one for the left channel and the other for the right?

stelios

David Arendt October 7th, 2012 03:50 PM

The BP4025 has a 5 pin XLR connector. A 5pin XLR to 2xXLR cable is included, but it is 2.5m long so not really suitable for on camera use. The Sony 5-Pin to Dual 3-pin XLR Cable for ECM-680S is working correctly with the BP4025 and is only 20cm long.