DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony HXR-NX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/521275-sony-hxr-nx3.html)

Terry Wall March 29th, 2014 12:19 PM

Re: Sony HXR-NX3

Like Greg Clark, I've been looking for a nice camera at the right price point to replace my XH-A1. I'm hoping the NX3 will fit that bill and will be monitoring this string closely. I'm impressed that this camera has THREE half-inch chips, too--especially at right around three grand! Quick turn-around on a project is a selling advantage for my services these days, and I welcome the ability to just pop an SD card into my computer instead of capturing hours of footage on tape. I've considered a DN60, but this could sway me toward a new cam outright. Question: with the "flare" issues mentioned elsewhere in the string, do the built-in ND filters not help at all?

Ron Evans March 29th, 2014 02:00 PM

The sensors in the NX3 are 1/2.8 or just a little bigger than 1/3" so smaller than 1/2" and likely crop to 1/3" for the lens which looks the same as on the NX5U, FDR-AX1, etc. They are 2.4M gross but 2.07 effective indicating a crop, much like most 1/3" cameras for 1920x1080.

Ron Evans

Terry Wall March 29th, 2014 04:10 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Ron! That being the case, might it be better, then, to try to find a (gently used ) NX5, since it offers SDI out?

~TRW

Ron Evans March 29th, 2014 04:14 PM

I think you have to decide what is important to you. The NX3 sensors are newer and it has a light and WiFI control. It lacks smooth gain switching SDI etc that the NX5 has.

Ron Evans

Ed Masker March 30th, 2014 09:26 PM

I worked with my NX3 and an NX5u this weekend. There are many more items in the nx5 menu but I don't feel Iike the nx3 is lacking. I do like so soft gain option on the nx5 (obviously sony is just holding back to give the nx5 more "options"). The nx3's LCD screen looked WAY better than the nx5. I shot in 1080i since the nx5 does not shoot 1080p like the nx3. I haven't had the chance to compare footage yet. For me, the nx3 is great. I don't think I'll miss an SDI output or the GPS feature on the nx5. I really like that the nx3 displays iris and gain setting while in auto mode - it's nice to know what the camera is doing even when you're not in control.

Ken Hall March 31st, 2014 05:32 AM

Buried away in the menu on the NX5 under 'Display Set' is an option 'Camera Data Display'. Setting this to 'on' will display the iris, gain and shutter speed, even when in auto mode. As you say, a really useful feature.

I cannot take any credit for this. I found this on 'My NX5 menu settings. Adam Welz's NXCAM Blog' Not sure if I should link to it, but a search will find it.

Ken

Ron Evans March 31st, 2014 06:24 AM

They also indicate on the NX5U whether they are in manual or auto mode as well since manual does not mean manual until ALL controls are set in manual by their individual controls. Setting the main switch to manual just means it is possible to set things in manual. Until you do they are still in auto as indicated in the LCD. Set shutter speed to manual and the camera will still use iris and gain to automatically expose etc.

Ron Evans

Ed Masker April 5th, 2014 03:46 PM

The NX3 plays well with the NX5U!

Martin Gardner April 10th, 2014 03:09 PM

A review of the NX3..
HD Warrior Blog Archiv Sony HXR-NX3 User Review with Allen McLaughlin

Martin Gardner May 7th, 2014 12:42 PM

Update, new camera has been provided by Sony, excellent quality footage with no sign of lens flare or previously reported problems. Thanks to H Prestons of Malvern.

Greg Clark July 11th, 2015 02:12 PM

It has been more than a year since any reviews on the NX3. Any opinions? I am compairing to the Canon XF200 and the NX3 looks like it gives you more features for less money.

Gregg Malmborg July 17th, 2015 05:25 PM

Hi Greg,
I have just returned from 3 months in the US shooting railroads with my new NX3, my first "serious" camcorder. I really like the camera and shooting in manual really brings out the cameras ability . The auto focus is quick and precise I found, as I shoot lots of moving trains as well as static shots. The white balance controls are easy to use and adjust and the auto WB is pretty good for a quick shot! The only minus is the zoom speed, it is a bit quick on start and not as slow as I would like, I do a lot of slow pan and zoom shots so it is a bit too aggressive for me but I have learnt to shoot around it. It's very good on battery life, even powering a shot gun mic on 48v , the menu is easy to use and the ND filters are very useful( would be nice to have adjustable ND as well, but the 3 filters work well) and I use them all the time get tight DOF.
As I said I'm no pro, but the NX3 is well balanced and easy to learn for a novice like myself, and having the manual controls takes me back to my young days learning photography! I can't speak of the "technical" aspects of AVCHD and all that, but for the camera itself I am very pleased with it.
Cheers Gregg.