DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Design flaw in the sony avchd HRX-MC50? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/495451-design-flaw-sony-avchd-hrx-mc50.html)

Wendy Andersen May 5th, 2011 02:35 AM

Design flaw in the sony avchd HRX-MC50?

Hello everyone,
I bought a SONY HXR-MC50E camera 9 months ago, and have discovered what seems to me to be a major design flaw - given that the camera is so lightweight and inexpensive it is clearly targeting the low budget documentary maker - usually a guy (or gal) working alone in the field.

there is an automatic setting which breaks up your footage after 10 minutes, and creates a new file to avoid overly large files. After rereading the manual several times, I can find no way to override this. However, when the files are put back to back, there is a gap, about one second with no visual or audio - if the gap happens to fall mid sentence in an interview, there is no recovery. can be disastrous if the interviewee has just said something important. as I work alone often, I can't monitor the camera and stop and restart at 9 mins 50 seconds each time!

but, more worryingly when I leave the camera running on a tripod while i'm conducting an interview, the footage i get after the 10min 'jump' is unstable. sometimes its fine, but about half the time, what I get is shaking/vibrating visual footage. UNUSABLE. and I have yet to find any way to fix it. the audio is fine but the visual is bizarre.

has anyone else experienced this? did you find a solution?
look forward to hearing from you. and apologies to the administrator if this is posted in the wrong heading - I couldn't find a general sony camera section, or one for this particular camera... cheers.

Piotr Wozniacki May 5th, 2011 08:49 AM

Re: Design flaw in the sony avchd HRX-MC50?

Wendy,

You've posted to NTRF, I'm afraid :)

Nevertheless, it might help if you know that most non-tape-based cameras (and I assume this applies to yours) always record takes divided into files of a size not exceeding ca 4GB. This is the FAT32 limit, and it's used for two reasons:

- compatibility with editing platforms that do not support NTFS's larger file size
- protecting user's material: should anything go wrong with a file, it'll be limited to just a single "chunk" of the take, and NOT the entire recording.

Whether the <=4GB size limit translates to 10 minutes or less or more, depends of course on the bit rate the camera's encoder is using.

HTH,

Piotr

Wendy Andersen May 5th, 2011 10:34 AM

Re: Design flaw in the sony avchd HRX-MC50?

@Piotr,
i did realise that this was not quite the right page, the camera is avchd, but i couldn't find a page for my specific cam. any suggestions within dvinfo?

as for the 4 gb limit for files for fat32, that is exactly the automatic feature i mean, but with some cameras you can overide this, or at least, they do not interrupt the footage...
cheers,w