DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   FS100 and F3 workshop presentation video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/495865-fs100-f3-workshop-presentation-video.html)

Doug Jensen May 13th, 2011 03:49 PM

FS100 and F3 workshop presentation video

Sony has just informed me that the 2-hour FS100 and F3 workshop I presented at NAB is now online. They have divided it into two parts, but I suggest watching part 1 before watching part 2.

Sony VideON | Sony Super 35mm Seminar at the 2011 NAB Show - Part 1 (NEXFS100U) | NAB 2011

It's not too polished, but I hope it helps answer some questions people may have about the two cameras.

Galen Rath May 14th, 2011 03:42 PM

Re: FS100 and F3 workshop presentation video

Thanks, Doug, those presentations brought me more up to speed to what's what with the F3 and FS-100, adding a lot more to what I have gleaned from reading posts daily for the last few weeks.

While NEX lenses are not now and may never be the choice of most FS-100 users, I would really like to hear exactly what Sony plans to release in the next year or so. I don't know of any marketing reason they would have to delay such an announcement.

Asif Khan May 15th, 2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galen Rath (Post 1649176)
Thanks, Doug, those presentations brought me more up to speed to what's what with the F3 and FS-100, adding a lot more to what I have gleaned from reading posts daily for the last few weeks.

While NEX lenses are not now and may never be the choice of most FS-100 users, I would really like to hear exactly what Sony plans to release in the next year or so. I don't know of any marketing reason they would have to delay such an announcement.

Sony already anounced what they are releasing in 2011 and 2012

Lenses that were released last year with Nex-5/3
18-55mm F3.5-5.6 (kit lens)
16mm F2.8 (kit lens)
18-200 F3.5-6.3 (kit lens with VG10)

30mm F3.5 Macro (coming next, as early as June 3)
55-200 F4-5.6 (a cheap consumer telephoto zoom, a companion to 18-55 kit lens)
50mm F1.8, sometime in 2011
Zeiss 24mm F1.7, sometime in 2011

A standard zoom (but higher quality "G" branded)
A wide angle zoom
A mid-level telephoto prime (something like 85mm)

For third parties,
Sigma showed 30mm F2.8 e-mount mock-up lens a few months ago.
Tamron announced they might be releasing lenses (but no roadmap or known timeline).

Matt Davis May 15th, 2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1648912)
I hope it helps answer some questions people may have about the two cameras.

Sure does. Also, good to hear the 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 'it's okay to shoot 35mbits at 4:2:0' message loud and clear - lots of FUD on this one, and my chromakey test results (EX1, SxS and Ninja) are in alignment with your assertion and experience.

It's such early days at the moment, just a little concerned about lack of CineGammas on the FS100. I found Cine4 such a boon for on-the-fly interviews where highlights on foreheads are the bane of one's life. If there's no real highlight compression on the FS100... Oh dear...

Brian Bang Jensen May 16th, 2011 04:59 AM

Hi Doug weary nice presentation.

I have a question:
You say one of the advantages of the FS100 over DSLR is it can record long takes.
Is it actually one long clip in AVCHD on the SD card or is it splitting the take in several files.
I am asking because I have an issue with other Sony cameras using AVCHD (consumer model 550) it splits long takes in multiply files. This could actually be fine, but it isn’t… When the files are joined on the timeline, they don’t match together!! This is regardless if it is converted or it is the native files coming from the camera. The bad thing is, usually there is missing a frame or two!!
When I am using my f330, long takes is one clip on the disk.
Now I am concerned hearing the FS100 coming from the plant producing the consumer models and I fear it have the same flaws as the other consumer models.

Now to something you might or might not have some hint about.
Delivery time on the FS100.
I have preordered one and hope to have it for a film project in the middle of July, do you think it is realistic it will be delivered here in Europe before then.

Doug Jensen May 16th, 2011 06:37 AM

Hi Brian,

No, I didn't have any reason to record long clips with the FS100 when I had it, but I believe that any problems someone has with gaps in NXCAM clips is due to improper post-production ingest and/or editing. Everytime I hear about missing frames between clips from any Sony camera, it always turns out to be due to operator error. This is an issue I'll be covering in my upcoming FS100 training DVD, and if it turns out there is a problem with missing frames, you'll hear me screaming about it the loudest. But for now, I'm going to assume there is no problem to worry about.

I expect the first FS100 camcorders to start shipping in the USA around the end of this month, and surely in the first half of June at the latest.