DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Where can I download original video of the Sony FS100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/497134-where-can-i-download-original-video-sony-fs100.html)

John Mastrogiacomo June 14th, 2011 03:22 AM

Where can I download original video of the Sony FS100

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering getting a Sony FS100 camera for an independent movie I have to shoot starting in August.
I have seen many videos of the footage on Vimeo, etc. but I have yet to come across any uploaded original video (right from the camera without any recompression).

I would appreciate it if you can point me to any links to original footage I can download (footage with the settings would be even better).

If I get the camera in the next few weeks I will post some original shots for others to see.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jon Braeley June 14th, 2011 06:34 AM

Re: Where can I download original video of the Sony FS100

This is why good comparison tests show the FS-100 side by side with other cameras - the Philip Bloom reviews should be enough information to give you a good idea. Regardless of compression you see all the footage under the same conditions....so even if the FS-100 image is not to your liking then what other choice is there?
Not sure what more information you need but everyone shoots differently and this camera has unlimited settings so looking at other shooters footage is not particularly helpful in my opinion.
If you need the camera for an August shoot you need to order now...this is a very sought after camera and supplies in Japan are very limited.

Pedro I. Vazquez June 14th, 2011 08:07 AM

im also considering an fs100 from sony but im still on a ex-3 hunt, which i cant find nowhere. need to watch the Phillip bloom video to see if i can be convinced... i'm in Puerto Rico no shop has that camera to at least hold it.

Jon Braeley June 14th, 2011 10:18 AM

I just sold my EX-3 ... very hard to find nowadays ... they are no longer being made I believe.

If you like the images you see on the web - by the way Vimeo can display good quality, then when you actually get the camera you will be blown away by the awesome images - happened to me.

Pedro I. Vazquez June 14th, 2011 06:47 PM

Hey Jon,
i like what im seen so far on the fs100, but from you having the ex-3 to now owning the fs100 whats your comparison on both of this cams??

Dan Asseff June 14th, 2011 08:58 PM

John and Pedro, This camera is so good, it is hard to believe it is only 5 grand. The image is so beautiful, I feel excited about shooting again. If you want a run and gun camera, the EX-3 might be better for you. It all depends on the kind of shooting you are doing. There is no ND filters built in the camera but you can get a vari ND filter to put on the front of the lens. It took some time to get used to manual focusing but I got over that pretty quick. I do weddings mostly so the low light was very important to me. The db going up to 30 with an acceptable image was mind blowing. I think I won't have to use on camera lights anymore. All I have to say is I don't think you would be unhappy with the FS100.
Dan

Jon Braeley June 15th, 2011 05:32 AM

I shot some of my best films on the EX cameras. Sony has great in-built profiles and cinegamma. Thats why I always like Sony cinema grade cams.
But the EX3 is two-thirds sensor so you cannot compare ... thats like comparing 16mm to 35mm. It is a different image. Most folks were using the Letus on the EX to get that nice DOF and bokeh.

The FS-100 is easily the best image in a sub-par $5k camera. Nothing more to say. Forget the NDs etc .... no major cinema motion camera has built in NDs. All pro's use pull focus or manual focus - yes I know Red cams are pursuing auto-focus but it will never be a substitute for decisive focusing as part of the story.

The important point are the amazing 35mm lenses you can use - almost any brand - Nikons-Canon FDs and soon EFs, PL mounts, Alpha's ...anything. I just ordered a fisheye for some trick effects. They all work - you do not need $5k cinema lenses with this cam... Nikon or Zeiss primes are superb on this.

I sold my EX3 because of the size. I am a doc maker and hate large bulky cameras...!

John Godwin June 15th, 2011 08:55 AM

Actually the EX3 has 1/2 inch chips. I have a couple of nice 1/2 inch broadcast quality zoom lenses I use instead of the kit lens, and have been able to get pretty shallow DOF with those and a bit more distance from (usually) the interview subject. It's not as easy as with the FS100, of course.

I use the EX3 (and sometimes my EX1) for run 'n gun shooting and everything else, but now that I have an FS100 I expect the EX3 to be mostly run 'n gun. The zoom lens & built in ND are more important to me for that. I expect to use the FS100 for shoots where I have time to work with filters and lens changes.

The EX3 has an added shoulder mount that makes it easier to use, for me at least, than the standard configuration. I don't find it particularly heavy, since I've shot with 40 pound tube betacams in the past and all of these current cameras are a relative joy to use.