DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Tokina 11-16 owners... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/497830-tokina-11-16-owners.html)

Kyle McConaghy June 29th, 2011 10:13 AM

Tokina 11-16 owners...

Do you recommend getting the Tokina 11-16 lens with the sony mount and then getting the sony a-to-e mount adapter? If so, does this mount gives you iris control with sony A mount lenses?

or

Getting a 11-16 with a Nikon mount and getting a Novaflex adapter with aperture control?

Thanks for your help!
Kyle

Galen Rath June 29th, 2011 10:38 AM

Re: Tokina 11-16 owners...

I'm favoring Nikon mounts to increase the resale value. Also hoping the upcoming Birger adapter would make Canon EOS lenses a choice, but that won't be happening soon.

Bruce S. Yarock June 29th, 2011 10:46 AM

I already have a Tokina 11-16 2.8 with the canon mount...
I guess for me it's wait for Birger.
Bruce Yarock

Allan Tabilas June 29th, 2011 12:07 PM

From what I've read regarding the Sony LA-EA1 alpha / minolta mount to NEX E mount adapter, when you try to fully open the iris or aperture (our example, go from f/8 to f/5.6), the adapter briefly opens *completely* (say on the Tokina, it will first go to f/2.8) -- and then it will hit the desired aperture, in this case f/5.6. It will not go directly from f/8 to f/5.6. It will go f/8 -- f/2.8 -- then f/5.6 So this will be undesirable while recording live video, and you'll see your video go blank or white before hitting youfully to say f/2.8, f/2, f/1.4, etc on fast zoom and prime lenses. I'm thinking of getting a nikon adapter (Fotodiox or Bowen / Kipon on the sub $80 tip, or MTF Services / Adaptimax / 16x9 / Voitlander on the $300 tip) and a Tokina 11-16mm in the Nikon mount. The aforementioned adapters have some type of level or dial to control aperture or iris on these "G" style lenses without a dedicated aperture ring.

Bruce S. Yarock June 29th, 2011 05:41 PM

Allan,
I'm very happy with the Fotodiox nikon adapter.
Bruce Yarock

Kyle McConaghy June 30th, 2011 06:49 AM

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

How do you get aperture control with the fotodiox adapter?

Dan Asseff June 30th, 2011 07:56 AM

Kyle,

I have the NEX/NIKON Novoflex adapter that has an aperture dial so I can use my Nikon lens with no aperture dial. Work great though a little pricey. I was thinking about Tokina and Sigma A mounts but there is only auto iris and no auto focus. For that reason I will stick with Nikon mounts because I am manual everything but focus." I was told by the staff at "Sony Style" that only alpha lenses with SAM or SSM autofocus would autofocus using the E mount adapter" per Laurence in another thread.

Dan

Kyle McConaghy June 30th, 2011 08:20 AM

Thanks, Dan! I was wanting to get the Novaflex adapter, but I couldn't find any reviews of people who have used it with the Tokina and FS100. So you are happy with it, overall? Does the aperture work well? Can it get to the wide open 2.8?

Dan Asseff June 30th, 2011 04:19 PM

Kyle,

I think it is well built and works verry well. I don't have the Tokina 11-16 but use it with all my nikon lens even ones without manual aperture. I have a 50 1.8 and it opens it up all the way. I think you can't go wrong with Novoflex adapter.

Dan

Matt Davis July 1st, 2011 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle McConaghy (Post 1663219)
I couldn't find any reviews of people who have used it with the Tokina and FS100.

I bought my Tokina 11-16 for my Canon 550D. I've since switched to FS100, and waiting for the Birger mount. In the meantime, I bought the cheapest of the cheap 'dumb' canon EOS to E-mount adaptors. As I tend to use this lens wide open (specifically for focus differentiation in a wide angle shot), the lack of control on the iris is a limitation I'm willing to put up with until the Birger arrives. Be that ever so 'maybe a long time'.

What can I say? The Tokina is lovely, and wouldn't do what it does on an AF101. It works on the FS100 as a fixed aperture (wide open) lens. I think there are 'not exactly dumb' mounts that will power the iris according to the last setting on a DSLR (so bring a 550 or something to change the iris), but I'm betting the farm on the Birger mount.

OTOH the lenses I'm purchasing for the FS100 are all Nikon fit (albeit with manual iris rings - declicked where possible), and I did consider selling the EOS fit Tokina for a Nikon fit version but... I still want it for stills. Great lens.

Dan Asseff July 1st, 2011 02:42 AM

Matt,

One thing about the Novoflex adapter is it allows for smooth iris control. To me it is the best solution until Birger mount comes out.

Dan

Matt Davis July 1st, 2011 03:05 AM

Thanks Dan, wish I'd seen this before going down the cheapie route. I have their Nikkor to EOS mount which has been invaluable with the 550D. I've not had much luck with cheapies!

Gabe Strong July 1st, 2011 03:36 AM

Do you have a link to this Novoflex adaptor that has smooth iris control?
I'd be very interested in that!

Dan Asseff July 1st, 2011 05:37 AM

Gabe,

How did the 18-55 sony lens work for you? Here is were I got mine. Novoflex NEX/NIK Nikon Mount for Sony NEX Cameras :: Mount Adapters :: Lens Adapters :: Lenses & Lens Accessories :: Equipment Sales :: AbelCine It really solid but pricey.

Dan

Cees van Kempen November 23rd, 2011 09:17 AM

Borrowed a FS100 lately with a Novoflex NEX/NIK adapter. I turned out that the adapter did not lock on the camera (no click and fix at the end of the turn), so it could come lose when turning the focus or zoom ring of the lens. Is that common or was there something wrong with this combination?