Companion camera for the FS100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Trustee

Companion camera for the FS100?

I'm curious as to whether anyone else is in the same situation. trying to figure this out.
Here's the history:

1- I had been shooting everything with my Canon XLH1 with a wa lens, and an XHA1 as a second camera.

2- About four years ago, I added a letus extrememe, for obvious reasons.

3- Two tears ago, I got rid of my Nikon photo gear ( I also do event photography) and bought one , then anbother Canon 7d, plus the necessary lenses. I've been using the 7d's whenevr I could, to get the look, and the Canon tape cameras, when I needed extended recording time, on board audio, controlable zoom , and ease for run and gun use.

4- Recently I bought the FS 100 with the kit lens. I also have a nice selection of Nikon Primes plus a tokina 28-7- 2.8. I've used the FS100 at a couple of events, pretty successfully.Having great on board audio and long record time is a pleasure.But he tiny buttons and ergonomics of the camera make it a lot harder to make quick changes when compared to my Canon H1, with all of the control knobs easilly reachable, etc.

5- In order to pay for the FS 100, and because I'm tired of tape, I decided to ssell my two A1's and my H1 with all it's accessories. I sold the two A1's and one dn 60 cf recorder (still have oine). I've been getting my H1 rig ready for ebay, but am uncertain about whether or not I should sell it, or replace it with something else.

The main thing that I'm missing, if I keep only the FS100, is the bility to do speed controlable zooms.This comes into play often at weddings, and some ommercial shoots. On one web commercial shoot, where I was trying to stay with the 7d's for the look, the client kept getting frustrated because I ciuldn't do slow zooms. Luckilly I had also brought one of the canons also, which I had to use.

So the question is, "what do I do"? Should I keep the H1, which will keep going down in value, or should I sell it and buy something else , whoose image quality is closer to the FS100 and is card based? What would that be? I know that a lot of guys are mixing 7d's with ex';s, but the ex is several years old now, and the cards are WAY too expensive. I could bite the bullett and buy a nano flash to use with the H1, thereby getting a better image,and being able to recoird to cf cards, but I'm not sure it would cut well with the fs 100.
I'd really appreciate anyone's feedback or ideas.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Vortex Media

re: Companion camera for the FS100?

Bruce,

I have not used one myself, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I think the NX5 would make the perfect camera for the situation you describe.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672423-REG/Sony_HXR_NX5U_HXR_NX5U_NXCAM_Professional_Camcorder.html
The workflow would be the same, you can share cards, an FMU, batteries, and other accessories between the NX5 and the FS100. They have a lot in common.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Trustee

Doug,
Thanks for the info. I just spoke to Dan Asseff, also on this forum, and he told me that he uses the nx5u as a companion camera at most of his events.His wife uses it for the wide safety shots and for zooming, while he uses the FS100 for the beauty stuff. The zoom has a drawback in that there's no physical controller like on my Canons (two menu options-slow or fast), but I'm sure I can get around that.
Dan says the look is very similar, althgough the cameras have different sensors. Hopefully I can get close to enough for my Canon rig to pay for it. Looks like the camera I need.
Bruce Yarock
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Bruce, it looks like it has a physical switch to choose between variable zoom and fixed zoom, but you are commenting that you have to go into the menu to select the speed, correct?
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Trustee

Galen,
I was asking Dan about the zoom options, since he has the camera (I don't). He said that there isn't a zoom speed controller on the camera, and that you have to go into the menu. If it does have a switch that allows variable speed, controlled by the zoom lever, that would be better.
BH sys that you only have 2 choices...slow or fast, and that it's in the menu.
Bruce Yarock
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Bruce,
It does have variable speed by the amount of pressure you apply to the rocker arm, it does take more practice than the Cannon with the dial to control the speed. Another option is a LANC controller. Asome camera for run and gun work. Our PBS channel loves the image I get out of that camera.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Dan, are you using an external recorder for the PBS material?
Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Major Player

Galen, I shoot for another guy who has the contract with them. I just shoot then give him the cards and he edits the footage. I have tho say It look really good, I watch it over the air and it is tact sharp and clear. I have a shoot this Wednesday and am tempted to use FS100 though. I think that most stations really wouldn't know the different if you didn't tell them.
Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Major Player

So, Bruce, are you going to pull the trigger on the NX5U?
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Trustee

My only issue with regard to the suggestion about the NX5U would be cost - it's only a grand less the FS100 itself. True, it has a built in lens, saving you some money, but I'd think the only reason to use this camera is to makes sure you'd have a shot in focus (which the 1/3" chip set should make it easier to do, assuming decent light).

What about using the NEX-5 as an el cheapo solution? It has a similarly sized chip set, will take the E mount lens mount (and I'm guessing the adapters as well), 1080i AVCHD HD video, and can do neato things like taking panorama stills (as well as taking normal stills).

It's also tiny, meaning you could get into places the FS100 couldn't. Perhaps not ideal, although it would seem to be a good "crash cam" if you needed one. For those on a budget, this cam seems like a good bet, if only b/c of its cost - $600 w/kit lens:

A review:
Sony NEX 5 Review
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Trustee

Galen,
I'm planning to get the camera, but first have to sell the rest of my Canon gear (H1, wa lens, etc.) which is now on ebay.
Bruce Yarock
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Trustee

John
Thanks for yhe info. I still have my 2 7d's with good lenses (although I might sell one body).
I
' leaning towards the other once (nx5u) once I sell the rest of my Canon gear.
Bruce Yarock

Last edited by Bruce S. Yarock; July 27th, 2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Trustee

Bruce, would you have bought the Birger adapter if it were out? Or some other reason you want to get away from the Canons?

You might be interested in a canon matching scene file (among others) that Ablescene posted yesterday:
FS100 Scene Files from AbelCine | CineTechnica
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Trustee

John,
I would have sprung for the Bitger, but it's still vaporware. I'm keeping one of my 7d's and the good Canon lenses (17-55 2.8, 70-200-2.8, 50mm 1.4, 18-135 kit lens, and the fantastic Tokina 11-6, which I wish I could use on the fs100). In the meantime, I already had a bunch of Nikon primes from when I used a Letus extreme, so I bought the fotodiox adapter. As I said elswhere, I'm relly happy that I bought the Sony 18-200 kit lens, because it looks good, and has a fairly usable auto focus when needed.

What I'm selling is the last of my Caonon hdv tape cams. I sold the 2 A1's, and still need to sell the H1 and wide angle lens ( plus monochrome viewfinder and century hd fisheye). As soon as I finish selling at least the camera and lens, I'll get the 5u. That way I can still do a 3 camera shoot (Canon hv 30 for extra), have the FS100 for the beauty stuff and the 5u for more run and gun situations.
I'm definately keeping my Canon lenses because, I'm keeping one 7d and also occasionally get an event photo job.

Jugling...juggling...jugling
Bruce Yarock
P.S,. Thanks to Doug and Dan for reccomending the other camera. Hopefully I'll see Dan tomorrow in Port Orange and check out the camera.
Bruce Yarock
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Major Player

I will be using my GH2 as a second cam.

I have owned or used most all of the Canon's in the last two years ... the GH2 blows them away. It's my stealth doco camera. I think it will work well with the FS-100 even though the sensors are a world apart unlike the 7D.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta