DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Holding off purchasing nex FS100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/501337-holding-off-purchasing-nex-fs100.html)

Rob Katz November 15th, 2011 11:43 AM

Re: Holding off purchasing nex FS100

Dimitris-

Your footage looked great.

If that is the pre-wedding film, I can only imagine the honeymoon movie!

Nice work.

Be well.

Rob
Smalltalk Productions

Dimitris Mantalias November 15th, 2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Palfrey (Post 1697054)
Dimitris, great video and thanks for sharing info on your lenses.

One quick question, which adapter did you use to mount the fd lenses? I'll be getting a FS100 for our company soon and for short term looking at some FD lenses, just not sure how much I should be spending on a half decent mount?

We use this one.

Canon FD to Sony E mount adaptor

One important plus of this adapter is that unlike some others we tried in the past with different cameras (like Jag on Sony FX1), the exposure doesn't "lock" when you put the lens on it. In the past, we used needles and other trickery in order to get the manual exposure (I guess most of you know what I mean), but in this one, you just put the lens on and exposure/focus are ready to be played with. It has 1.54X magnification factor, but we can easily live with that.

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 15th, 2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias (Post 1697276)
It has 1.54X magnification factor, but we can easily live with that.

But this has nothing to do with the adapter you are using. It's because of the difference in size between 35mm still frame and Super35 motion frame.

Dimitris Mantalias November 15th, 2011 04:13 PM

Yes, I know. :) I just noted this, because some people I am talking to, consider this as a bad thing which should be resolved. :)

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 15th, 2011 06:29 PM

So the way films are shot from over a century should be resolved... (ok, over simplification here, since the Super35 format is not that old, but you get the idea).

Don Miller November 15th, 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Strong (Post 1694903)
........ and I'd guess the Nikon lenses
are better than FD lenses as well. ...............

Not necessarily. The better Canon and Nikon glass has been good for many years. The FD's can't be used on modern (EF) Canon without an optical adapter, so there's little demand for these lenses.

Contax/Zeiss was very inexpensive until people realized these lenses could be adapted to the Canon 5D.

Chad Whelan November 17th, 2011 12:03 AM

I have just purchased a Canon FD 50mm F1.4 ($60) and a FD 35-105 F3.5. ($85). Very excited to see some results after they arrive. I will post some video of some test shots with each lens.

Gabe Strong November 17th, 2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 1697353)
Not necessarily. The better Canon and Nikon glass has been good for many years. The FD's can't be used on modern (EF) Canon without an optical adapter, so there's little demand for these lenses.

Contax/Zeiss was very inexpensive until people realized these lenses could be adapted to the Canon 5D.

Good point. I was just thinking 'tech' in general has advanced SO far, that
theses lenses from the 70's and 80's can't be that good. But they sure
do look nice, and while camera tech may have come a long ways, good lenses
are kind of 'timeless' it seems. Or at the very least, they don't go
out of date as quick. I like the 28-90 F2.8 FD lens I bought for
doing interviews......gives you most of the focal lengths you want
for interview shooting....and it looks REALLY good!

Brian Drysdale November 17th, 2011 04:13 AM

I've used the Aaton Mt conversions of the prime Contax/Zeiss lenses. Not quite as sharp as the 16mm Zeiss Super Speed Distagons, but nearly there.

Scott Caplan November 17th, 2011 12:43 PM

Good glass is good glass, especially when OIS and AF are taken out of the equation.

Scott Caplan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Strong (Post 1697674)
Good point. I was just thinking 'tech' in general has advanced SO far, that
theses lenses from the 70's and 80's can't be that good. But they sure
do look nice, and while camera tech may have come a long ways, good lenses
are kind of 'timeless' it seems. Or at the very least, they don't go
out of date as quick. I like the 28-90 F2.8 FD lens I bought for
doing interviews......gives you most of the focal lengths you want
for interview shooting....and it looks REALLY good!

Jeff Troiano November 17th, 2011 01:12 PM

Since we're talking about older lens here, I wanted,to post something I asked,somewhere else, just those what everyone here thinks. This is what I wrote.....

In the process of getting to know my first real "pro" camera (fs100). Been playing will all the settings and such. I've made an observation, and wanted to ask if my conclusions are correct. I'm currently using very inexpensive canon fd lenses, until I have the funds for, nicer higher end lens. When using the peaking function (has 3 settings, high, medium, and low. I'm using set on low), I've noticed situations when I have (or feel I have) good focus (on what it is I'm trying to focus on), but there is no peaking indication at all, and other times when there is. With out having a newer, better quality lens to compare it to yet, I'm concluding that this is showing my older lens to be less, sharp at times. I'm wondering if that is correct? This is my first interchangeable lens camera, and am learning a lot, about many different things. I'm a person who isn't so great at being taught things, but rather I need to dig in, and figure things out on my own.

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 17th, 2011 01:29 PM

I'm not sure your conclusion are OK. The peaking system on the FS100 is OK at best. It needs very good and clear edge and no movement to show the peaking indicator. Low is unreliable and useless. Med should be your setting in my opinion. But this peaking is a joke. Miles away from a true peaking found on ENG view finder.

By the way the peaking function in Zacuto and SmallHD EVF is closer to the ones on pro ENG viewfinder, and much more usable. You should get one.

Jeff Troiano November 17th, 2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald (Post 1697812)
I'm not sure your conclusion are OK. The peaking system on the FS100 is OK at best. It needs very good and clear edge and no movement to show the peaking indicator. Low is unreliable and useless. Med should be your setting in my opinion. But this peaking is a joke. Miles away from a true peaking found on ENG view finder.

By the way the peaking function in Zacuto and SmallHD EVF is closer to the ones on pro ENG viewfinder, and much more usable. You should get one.

Thanks for the feedback. An external monitor is on my shopping list. For use on my camera, and also for use on the steady cam and crane. I was thinking the dp6, as opposed to a smaller one.

Chuck Fishbein November 22nd, 2011 12:12 PM

I found Jean-Phillipe's comment to be very true, particularly on wide landscape shots. The difference between razor sharp and slightly soft is often undetectable by the camera's peaking, especially true when the lens is focusing near infinity..

Alister Chapman once commented that the infinity setting on some lenses, particularly prime lenses designed for still photography, are often variable from lens to lens. He was referring to the fact that a lens could focus passed the infinity mark, yielding an unsharp image.