To kit lens or not to kit lens? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: To kit lens or not to kit lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I was able to check out a Tamron 17-50mm zoom on my FS100, and I must say, I was impressed. For the money, it looks to be a very good lens. It also has the same filter diameter as the kit lens. I will probably be picking one up soon.
Jeff, thanks for the advice of looking into Tamron lenses.

Is there a good E-mount to Nikon adapter?
I have been told that the Novoflex adapter (Nikon to E mount) allows
for aperture adjustment on all Nikon lenses. It costs about $290
from B&H.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #17
Vortex Media

Jeff, thanks for the comments on my training DVD.

I have the Novoflex adapter. It works well with all Nikon lenses whether they have their own iris control ring or not.
I have no idea how the Novoflex compares to other adapters, but I have no complaints about it.
Old October 14th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #18
Wrangler

Here's a reason to get the kit lens for $600...
It's worth $800+. Buy it. If you don't like it or never use it, you can flip it to someone with an NEX5/7 for at least $600 and break even. Win either way. I've got one and am inpressed that (for a kit lens) it's not terrible at all.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM   #19
Major Player

It's a useful lens to have
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Just curious when you use the novoflex or mtf adaptors with nikon lenses do you lose any image stabilisation on the lenses and if so is it something to worry about? I'm starting from scratch on choosing lenses and adaptors for my fs100 and vg10's but really have no idea which way to go. Thanks, M.
Michael Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #21
Vortex Media

There is no electrical communication between the FS100 and any Nikon lens no matter what adapter you use -- therefore no stabilization, no auto-focus, no auto-iris. It's only something to worry about if you don't feel comfortable controlling those things manually -- and it's nothing you can't learn.

Mastering the Sony NEX-FS100 training DVD
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #22
Major Player

Well, the auto iris and auto focus are surprisingly good. That being
said, I don't think they are hugely important....as Doug said, you
are going to want to manually control these anyways. The only
time I use them is to hit the 'quick auto' buttons just to check
sometimes. However, the OIS is pretty good and IS a reason to use
the kit lens in certain situations in my opinion.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #23
Vortex Media

You're right. The auto-functions of the stock lens are pretty good and could come in handy sometimes. My problem with that lens is the dismal f/3.5 - f/6.3 non-constant aperture. That is a deal breaker for me, but acceptable to other people. Different lenses for different folks.
Old October 25th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
You're right. The auto-functions of the stock lens are pretty good and could come in handy sometimes. My problem with that lens is the dismal f/3.5 - f/6.3 non-constant aperture. That is a deal breaker for me, but acceptable to other people. Different lenses for different folks.
Oh yes - should this lens be a constant aperture (even at F3.5), it would put to shame many zoom lenses costing 10x more!
Old October 25th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Doug, thanks for reply. I can't remember the last time I used auto iris or focus on my z7s so that's cool.

Do you cover adaptors on your fs100 dvd? I think it's time I bought that.
Michael Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #26
Vortex Media

Yes, I cover Nikon, Canon, PL, and a few e-mountt lenses in my three hour training DVD.
Thanks for asking.
Old November 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Doug, thanks for all your work on the training materials for this camera.

Do you have or know of a list of lenses that are "go to" lenses for the FS100? I'd like to see a list of inexpensive primes and a few zooms vs. higher end ones that people have used.

Thanks!

S.A. Caplan
GKCOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Yes.

I don't like the 18-200 stock lens for all reasons that have already been listed here: very slow, not a constant aperture, no servo zoom control, etc. It is a consumer grade lens.

However, with that said, optically it looks fine, so if those shortcomings don't bother you, then go for it. To me those shortcomings are deal breakers -- especially if shallow DoF is one of the reasons you are buying an FS100 in the first place. I'd never even think if using that lens on an SLR, so why would I use it on video camera? I need lenses that are at least f/2.8 and have a constant aperture. It's not just those features themselves that are important, those are also generally signs that a particular lens is built for professional use.

What lens(s) to get instead? There are literally hundreds of options. Take the $600 savings and apply it to the model and brand of lenses that will work best for what YOU shoot.
Scott Caplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:09 PM   #28
Regular Crew

This seems to explain it pretty well. I guess the real question is which direction to go brandwise on a budget for a long zoom and a 50mm prime.

Lenses and Accessories for the NEX-FS100
Scott Caplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 03:36 PM   #29
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Caplan View Post
Do you have or know of a list of lenses that are "go to" lenses for the FS100? I'd like to see a list of inexpensive primes and a few zooms vs. higher end ones that people have used.GKCOC
Hi Scott, I only have experience with the 20 lenses I talk about in my DVD and wouldn't presume to recommend "go to" lenses for other people. There are too many different budgets, production requirements, and other factors to consider. Just look at the different threads here at DVinfo. There are people who rave about how great some lenses are that I would never want to use on my camera. And on the other hand, there are people who may dislike the lenses I have chosen. I'll bet there are literally 200-300 lenses being manufactured right now that you could use on the FS100.

However, with all that said, the least expensive lens package I could live with would be: Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8; Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8; Nikon 50mm f/1.8; Zeiss 85mm f/1.4; and a Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8. I'm not saying those are the lenses that I choose to use today because I own many other better lenses, but if you took away all my lenses and made me build an inexpensive package from scratch on a tight budget, that's the least I could settle for.

I hope that helps, but that's just one man's opinion.
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:20 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Thanks Doug.

I've been mulling over the Sony NEX FS100U vs. the Panasonic micro 4/3rd system for a corporate scenario (that does maybe 80% interviews and 20% creative) and after 3 days of crunching numbers and looking at different reviews and footage samples I think I'm still on the fence with either of these systems. The lack of an ND filter on the NEX is almost a deal-breaker in my world, but I love the images it makes, the micro 4/3rd system by panny is a close 2nd and has the features I need built in already.

The hardest part of being a creative professional in a corporate setting is price point vs. quality vs. functionality. Coming from a long line of using sony cameras the last 10 years (Z1U, V1U, Z7U) I find the NEX not a great fit. The Panasonic 4/3rd system has more lens options, but it's still not a perfect camera fit although better in my view for what I need it to do It broke my heart where this led me to today on the budget line.

After a lot of reading up I'm leaning towards the Panasonic AG-AC160 now after really wishing the NEX wasn't so "alpha-ish" (pun) in this stage of it's development - it seems like they rushed it out to compete with the 4/3rd format and they definitely hit some high notes but missed in other departments. I'm hoping it's 2nd revision is more friendly for people who want interchangeable lenses but don't want to break the bank having to purchase a matte box and rails and other items not "in the budget". I can sit on the fence a few more days to see what news Canon is coming out with before any purchasing in the meantime.

If it was for my personal use as a freelancer I'd be all over it, but I'm spending someone else's money these days. Sign of the times and the economy.

Thanks for your input today.

Scott Caplan
GKCCOC
Scott Caplan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta