DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   FS100 first impressions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/504127-fs100-first-impressions.html)

Keith Forman January 5th, 2012 01:49 PM

FS100 first impressions

Just received my FS100 today. Heavier and a bit more solid than I though it would be with the exception of the screen and tube--those are about as what I expected. It is definitely a tripod camera and uncomfortable for hand held which is okay for me because I do not shoot very much hand-held..

The kit lens is okay but it is really not very fast.The jury is still out on that until I have some more time to do some shooting. It does not appear to be exceptionally sharp but similar to my Z7. I am waiting for my lens adapters so that I can try out my prime lenses.

9db of gain is similar to my Z5 and Z7. To me this is very noisy however the FS100's light sensitivity seems to be about 1.5 stops above those cameras and perhaps 3-4 stops above my Canon DSLR

The kit lens's autofocus is better than I expected. Far superior to my Canon DLSR in video mode.However the Canon DSLR autofocus is almost useless in video mode so anything is an improvement

Piotr Wozniacki January 6th, 2012 04:43 AM

Re: FS100 first impressions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman (Post 1707614)
9db of gain is similar to my Z5 and Z7. To me this is very noisy however the FS100's light sensitivity seems to be about 1.5 stops above those cameras and perhaps 3-4 stops above my Canon DSLR

Congratulations on your new camera Keith - but are you sure you can compare the noise level at 9dB between the FS100 and the other cams you mention?

I don't have Z7 or Z5, but I doubt they are much cleaner than the EX series - and I can tell you my FS100 at 30 dB has noise comparable to my EX1 at 9dB...

Keith Forman January 6th, 2012 06:15 PM

I have not spent enough time with the camera to give an experienced opinion yet. I am hoping to spend some time this weekend. I'll report back.

Mike Watson January 7th, 2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Just received my FS100 today. Heavier and a bit more solid than I though it would be with the exception of the screen and tube--those are about as what I expected. It is definitely a tripod camera and uncomfortable for hand held which is okay for me because I do not shoot very much hand-held..

I've had mine about a month now. I didn't like the handheld feel at first, either. The COG is about a mile away from where the hand hold is, and after about 5 seconds it starts to hurt your wrist. It then gets exponentially worse, the longer you hold it. It is pretty much impossible to shoot handheld and hold a shotgun mic at the same time, which pretty much go hand in hand for me. I tried shooting hasselblad style, and while it doesn't work for everything, it is comfortable, stable, and works well. The upshot is that shooting from that angle gives things a different look, and overall, I like it. The down side is that it's basically a dick's-eye-view.

Keith Forman January 7th, 2012 09:18 AM

I am starting to get used to the profile but the lack of full top handle is difficult to get used to. Even though I shoot with primarily with a tripod I still have to carry the camera around.

Les Wilson January 7th, 2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

...The kit lens's autofocus is better than I expected. Far superior to my Canon DLSR in video mode.However the Canon DSLR autofocus is almost useless in video mode so anything is an improvement

What Canon autofocus? There's autofocus while recording?

Keith Forman January 8th, 2012 11:55 AM

The Canon DSLRs autofocus works in video mode however it is so slow that it essentially useless.