DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Canon EF 'Smart adapter' (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/504479-canon-ef-smart-adapter.html)

Keith Moreau February 6th, 2012 01:38 AM

Re: Canon EF 'Smart adapter'

Metabones had a few on eBay for a short time, so I ordered one, should be here in a week or 2, I'll post my results.

Bill Koehler February 12th, 2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cahill (Post 1713403)

Just checked your link and noted they have updated it with an announcement that a firmware fix is available and that they will reimburse you for shipping your adapter in for a free upgrade. They also fixed some other problems that got reported as well.

Jeff Troiano February 21st, 2012 10:22 AM

Received an email from Metabones this morning, confirming I still wanted to preorder one. I replied and a shirt time later I received a PayPal invoice. So I've preordered. They said next batch will be available soon. If interested in one, I suggest emailing them and asking if they have any spots left for the preorder.

EDIT....just recieved shipping confirmation from hongkong. So they are shipping adapters.

Bruce S. Yarock February 22nd, 2012 11:36 AM

Jeff,
Where is the site or email address for ordering one of these?
Bruce Yarock

Jeff Troiano February 22nd, 2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1716526)
Jeff,
Where is the site or email address for ordering one of these?
Bruce Yarock

Here is their site. I had emailed a while ago, saying I was interested in preordering. They still have things listed as out of stock. I would email, and tell them you want one, if you do. They probably have a waiting list.

Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter

Keith Moreau February 22nd, 2012 10:33 PM

Just received my Conurus/Metabones unit yesterday. Tried it with a plethora of EOS glass, worked perfectly and powered the IS on lenses that had it, EF-S and ES lenses.

Fit and finish is awesome, solid, reassuringly heavy. Control of aperture using the FS100 knob is good, I like it better than on the E-Mount controls, seems more sensitive than on e-mount lenses.

I haven't tested it on every single EOS lens I own, there are a lot, but, I'm eager to try it out, especially with my EF-S 17-55 2.8 and my 24-104 F4 L for 'run and gun.'

Yeah!

Jeff Troiano February 22nd, 2012 11:05 PM

Keith, not to hijack the thread, but can you comment here (or feel free to email me), but I'd love to hear how you feel about the ef-s 17-55. I'm thinking of picking up one. But wondering if it's that much better then the sigma version.

Thanks.

Keith Moreau February 22nd, 2012 11:35 PM

That was one of the original lenses I got for the 7D, my first DLSR. wonderful lens, sharp, fairly long focus throw (compared to the others) and fast. Good enough to be an L-lens if they made those in EF-S mounts. One of my favorites until I got the 5D, which it doesn't work with. Now works just as well with the FS100.

Not cheap but worth it., However, if you're getting new lenses for the FS100 and not trying to repurpose old lenses, I'd suggest getting native E-Mount, if they are autofocus type and you need to be able to focus quickly. Focusing is a killer with DSLRs and the FS100, Auto on the Kit lens is wonderful.

Matthew Hurley February 23rd, 2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano (Post 1716549)
Here is their site. I had emailed a while ago, saying I was interested in preordering. They still have things listed as out of stock. I would email, and tell them you want one, if you do. They probably have a waiting list.

Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter

Do you have the actual email address to order. When I go to "Contact" their site email does not come up?

Jeff Troiano February 23rd, 2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Hurley (Post 1716728)
Do you have the actual email address to order. When I go to "Contact" their site email does not come up?

I don't, when I originally emailed them about the adapter, I clicked on the "ask a question about this item" button. Told them I was interested in preordering, so when they were available I could get it. I recieved no response, until 2 days ago. When they emailed to ask if I still wanted to order. Ive read in other places they've been selling on eBay also. I'm sorry I don't have an email address to put out there. I just know how I went about it.

Matthew Hurley February 24th, 2012 07:11 AM

Thanks Jeff. I did hit "Ask a question" and within 24 hrs got a response. I,m in line for the next batch which I,m told will be available early March.

Keith Moreau February 24th, 2012 12:57 PM

I actually purchased mine via one of Metabones' eBay retailers. I thought I was dealing directly with Metabones when I purchased it but a quick query after I purchased the adapter about the shipment time, with very quick response from Metabones, revealed it was a reseller. Metabones got me in touch with the reseller, who promptly gave me the expected shipping time and they were accurate. They were testing the adapters before they went out and told me it had the latest firmware in it to resolve whatever issues there were before.

Haven't really had a chance to use it but I'm excited. I may try it at an event tomorrow with my 17-55 and 25-105, both superb EOS zooms with IS.

Jazzed!

Jeff Troiano February 27th, 2012 05:20 PM

Recieved my Metabones adapter today. I tested it on my Tokina 11-16. Works as suppose too. Receiving a Canon EF-S 17-55 tomorrow, so I'll have a chance to try out the IS. I didn't own any lens, when I bought my FS100. Since I heard about the Metabones adapter, I decided to go with Canon lens, since I also want to pick up a Canon DSLR for still photography, and Ill be able to dual purpose my lens.

Dan Asseff March 2nd, 2012 10:13 PM

Just found this review on the metabones adapter. I wish they made on for Nikon.

Dan

Bryan McCullough March 3rd, 2012 08:15 PM

Anyone know when the next batch should be ready? I'm apparently on the waiting list but not sure what that means. After seeing the review I'm dying to get ahold of one.