DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   First run and gun shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/506743-first-run-gun-shoot.html)

Bill Weaver April 7th, 2012 10:06 AM

First run and gun shoot

Just a few days after taking possession of the camera, I nervously accepted a run and gun shoot, which took place in a large, dimly lit space, with lots of action to follow in every corner.

I used the kit lens, autogain with limit set to 18. Then just zoomed and focused, and occasionally went to manual 12 db.

I can't remember when I derived so much pleasure using a camera.

As odd of a duck as the FS100 is, it actually works VERY well off a tripod, pretty much as is.

I used the loupe for part of the time, with camera pressed against my upper chest. When the loupe is all the way up, there is no left-right give, so video was very solid and stable.

My wireless receiver was in a belt pouch, which kept rig from getting ungainly.

Eventually, I dropped the loupe and used just the viewfinder with peaking and an occasional focus assist.

No problem with focus issues, and I was having to move very fast.

Worked almost 3.5 hours straight, with little or no arm fatigue. I was preparing for creating a shoulder rig of some sort, but now, I think not

In interviews, lens still offered enough DOF to keep background soft and make subjects pop.

four stars.

I have purchased a small HD 4 system, but may send the loupe back, as the Sony viewfinder worked very well. Great color, and with a bit of peaking, focus was a snap. The Small will come in handy as an extra reference and production aid in more controlled shoots -- but for just getting shots quickly, the as-is FS100 is a very practical option. .

Oren Arieli April 7th, 2012 11:01 AM

Re: First run and gun shoot

That's diving in with both feet. I had the same experience back in January. Not even sure how accurate the monitor would be or if my batteries would hold out for the 4 hour shoot. I had 4 lenses to choose from, but the 'man-on-the-street' type interviews worked best with the 18-50 kit lens, since I had to deal with small and large groups sometimes. Indoors with my on-cam LED light dimmed to about 15%, it gave beautiful clean and bright images that incorporated lot's of ambient light. Results are below. Password is
"p2012"
This is a password protected video on Vimeo

Glen Vandermolen April 8th, 2012 01:24 PM

I use my FS100 to shoot lacrosse games. That's fast action, with quick zooms and pans. I find it's easier to shoot in auto focus, and I never like to use that feature. The camera performs like a champ. The client even contacted me and wanted to know what camera I was using, they were so impressed with the footage.

Oren Arieli April 8th, 2012 07:18 PM

Glen, color me impressed. Shooting sports with the FS-100 is something I'm not brave enough to attempt. What lens are you using? The autofocus isn't exactly speedy or accurate with this camera.

Glen Vandermolen April 10th, 2012 04:03 AM

I use the kit 18-200 lens. You need a long zoom to capture the action up close. I haven't had an issue with the auto focus.

Here's the link to the last game I shot. I was pretty high up in the stands, so I could only zoom so close:

Air Force vs. Jacksonville Lacrosse 2012 Lax.com Highlight

Here's a game from the sidelines. I wish the ref could have stood somewhere else!

pumpinfest

Dan Asseff April 10th, 2012 05:12 AM

I use the kit lens to. Here i used it to film an air show. The way this camera is held worked better than my NX-5. Here is the video from that shoot.
Dan

Stephan Hubenthal April 17th, 2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 1725657)
the 'man-on-the-street' type interviews worked best with the 18-50 kit lens, since I had to deal with small and large groups sometimes. [/url]

Hi Oren,

I am just making up my mind selling may EX1R to buy an FS100. I do most of my work with my PMW350. I like the easy and reliable way to work with the EX1, although I use it all in manual mode. I was quite impressed with the look of your video on vimeo. Did you shoot all that with the 18-55 kit-lens? Did you use an ND-filter or were you just lucky with the light to be just right?

Did you focus manually? Did you use other lenses? I would need the FS100 from time to time (if travelling by plane) to completely substitute my EX1 do run-and-gun shots and interviews. Would this work?

Thank you very much!
Stephan

Dave Mercer April 20th, 2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Weaver (Post 1725645)
-- but for just getting shots quickly, the as-is FS100 is a very practical option. .

That's quite a statement Bill. You're one of the few people I've seen give the FS100 a writeup like this.

Any idea why so many others find this camera difficult/awkward to use without a rig/tripod?

I shoot mainly news features, but am moving into longer format work and am in the market for a new camera. Part of me longs for an easy to use cam like the XF100, whereas another part wishes for more control over DOF.

I currently use a Panasonic GH2 (which I'm still learning LOTS from) and used to use a Sony HVR-A1E.

I like to travel light and inconspicuous.

Cheers!

Bill Weaver April 22nd, 2012 09:31 PM

Well, I'd still keep a pocket cam if you want to really go light.

The FS can be carted around with just the body and lens, and be pretty invisible

Or it can be rigged out into any number of practical - or at least client-impressing -configurations.

I continued to be stunned by the resolution, the low light performance.

Now have 3 Canon FD primes each with 13 buck adapter that works great -- plus kit lens (it's awkward, but for the price, it can help deliver a lot if fast shots).

It is awkward to use, but what I see when I play back the video more than makes up for it. Peaking is good.

I still use an xtra Small HD monitor at times, which has good ole broadcast style peaking and good false color.

At times I use loupe, tilted all the way up (that stops any side to side movement. Camera against upper chest, image stab on. Or without, depending on lighting, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mercer (Post 1728603)
That's quite a statement Bill. You're one of the few people I've seen give the FS100 a writeup like this.

Any idea why so many others find this camera difficult/awkward to use without a rig/tripod?

I shoot mainly news features, but am moving into longer format work and am in the market for a new camera. Part of me longs for an easy to use cam like the XF100, whereas another part wishes for more control over DOF.

I currently use a Panasonic GH2 (which I'm still learning LOTS from) and used to use a Sony HVR-A1E.

I like to travel light and inconspicuous.

Cheers!

Dave Mercer April 27th, 2012 02:55 PM

Thanks Bill. Great to hear. Will check one out when I'm back north in Cowtown this summer. Enjoy the blossoms in Vic!