DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Picture profile to match Sony EX3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/509473-picture-profile-match-sony-ex3.html)

Bruce S. Yarock July 21st, 2012 10:52 AM

Picture profile to match Sony EX3?

I'm doing a short shoot tomorrow for a guy who has an ex3 and Letus. Does anyone have picture profile to match a basic EX3 profile?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions

Piotr Wozniacki July 25th, 2012 01:23 AM

Re: Picture profile to match Sony EX3?

Bruce,

I've been following your thread, as - having both the FS100 and EX1 - I'm also curious what people are using. It's symptomatic no answer appeared so far - I'll tell you that after some trials, I've given up using any "matching" PPs on the two cameras...

When I shoot one of my music videos, my own FS100 and EX1 are usually accompanied by a few others (most of them EX1/3, usually). What I do is use as neutral PP as only possible on each - and only taking care of highlight roll-of, WB (which I of course set to the same white/gray card on all cameras), etc.

Later, in post, I pick the camera with a "look" that I consider the best starting point for the particular shoot, and grade the remaining ones to match it. Usually works well.

But having said that, I'm still looking forward to some answers here - perhaps Alister could contribute?

:)

Matt Davis July 25th, 2012 01:38 AM

I haven't got a 'perfect match' but Frank Glencairn's 'G-log 2' and the EX1 CineGamma 3 & 4 sit well together, but you WILL need to do some post work on both, even if it's just a global 'bring everything down to 100% IRE and add a touch of sharpening' on the final edit.

You'll want to avoid all forms of EX1 sharpening/crispening - which is 'fugly' next to the FS100 image, and the biggest giveaway.

Piotr Wozniacki July 25th, 2012 01:48 AM

Thanks Matt - of course you are the right person to ask this, sorry I forgot:)

I agree on the EX1/3 being considerably sharper than the FS100, and I usually set sharpen=off while shooting with both (unless I go for the "filmic" look, when I'd usually put my old good Letus on the EX1 - since it's softening the image a little, I leave on-camera sharpening on). But mentioning both CG3 and CG4 as a good fit for (any single) FS100's PP sounds strange to me - they differ considerably, with CG4 "stretching blacks" (to use the old nomenclature)...

Unless you mean each of the 2 curves on the EX can be matched by some of G-log 2's variation?

Piotr

Matt Davis July 25th, 2012 01:53 AM

Stretching blacks? Oh yes. Look at the many PPs for the FS100, pushing black up from 0 to +7 and beyond, setting the black gamma to 'highs' - all trying to do the CG thing with CineTone.

The CineGamma magic highlights are difficult to do with the FS100, but by using the 109 whites and no knee at all, then carefully exposing for 107 or so on your highlights, it's as close as I can get. :-)

Piotr Wozniacki July 25th, 2012 02:13 AM

Ah, Ok - now I know what you mean (I'm not a fan of upping Black/Black gamma on the FS100) :)

So, I'll try your other candidate - the CG1 approach on my EX1, against G-Log 2 on the FS-100 (should need be, modifying its right end so that I get us much above 100 as possible, but without the ugly color shift at roll-off)...BUT, I'll stick to my preferred method of the lowest black levels possible!

Bruce S. Yarock July 25th, 2012 05:21 AM

Piotor
When we did the shot last Sunfay, I ended up leaving my camera set to Abel Cine'[s basic preset ( I forget what it's called, but it's thei first one). The director who owned the EX3 really didn't know how to change much in terms od picture profile, and had to have his helper show him how to set Kelvin temp so we could math. I tried to fool with it but have never sat down and gotten into the menu structure. I asked him to st the EX to neutral, or out of the box, but he didn't want to lose any of his presets.. Isn't there a simple way to have at least one preset on the EX that is stock, or neutral , or whatever it's called?
Bruce Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock July 25th, 2012 05:24 AM

Matt,
Do the two EX settings you mention come stock with the camera or are they custom? If this guy erased them , where could I find them listed?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Piotr Wozniacki July 25th, 2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1745303)
Piotor
Isn't there a simple way to have at least one preset on the EX that is stock, or neutral , or whatever it's called?
Bruce Yarock

Bruce,

Of course there is a simple and quick way to revert to factory settings - just pick PP off :)...

Oh, and would never "dial Kelvins in" - this only adjust red vs.blue. To compensate for the green/magenta shift, you need to WB to a white object!

Bruce S. Yarock July 25th, 2012 05:42 AM

Thanks Piotor.
We also did wb.
Bruce Yarock

Dave Morrison July 27th, 2012 10:35 PM

I had a similar situation (got an FS100 to go with my EX1) and a buddy of mine helped me do a set of "Calibrated" Profiles. He has one of the big Chroma DuMonde color charts and a vectorscope. We put both cameras on it and got them to match as closely as he could do it using the scope. After the Profiles were saved and loaded, he put a nice color portrait photo in place of the DuMonde chart and we put both cameras up side-by-side using a split screen feed. It looked pretty darn good to me but I have yet to cut it together on a real job. But now, all I have to do now is put both cameras into this "Calibrated" profile and it will get me darn close. I'll post an update when I have a chance to test it further.