DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   fs100 handle/rigging ideas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/512402-fs100-handle-rigging-ideas.html)

Rob Katz November 29th, 2012 09:59 AM

fs100 handle/rigging ideas

i'm finally off the tripod!

i'm using the fs100 for more than interviews.

i'm now looking for "reasonably" priced ideas on how to get the fs100 comfy for some handheld work.

top handle suggestions?

rigging?

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc

Bill Pryor November 29th, 2012 12:21 PM

Re: fs100 handle/rigging ideas

I have the Zacuto handle which is really solid but not too heavy. When it faces the rear of the camera you can flip up the LCD all the way but not with the viewer snapped on. However, it reverses easily with a quick release to move it out over the lens, then you can tilt up with the tube. When it goes to the rear, the camera balances very nicely if you want to do one of those walking doggiecam shots.

I also have the Zacuto Mini Baseplate, rods and an offset shoulder pad, so the camera lines up in front of my eye. The Zacuto gear is expensive, but lasts forever and their customer service is better than anybody I've ever seen. I had the DSLR Baseplate for about a year and traded it in for credit on the more FS100 friendly Mini Baseplate. They gave me just about as much as what I could have sold it for.

Mike Watson November 30th, 2012 08:57 AM

I have this:

And for the amount of shoulder work I do, I'm relatively satisfied. I did affix a 2.5lb weight to the rear of it to give it some counterweight. And all of my stuff (jib, tripod, shoulder rig, and the fixed mount for the camera in the van) has a manfrotto-style quick release plate on it, so it slides on and off everything without issue.

Matt Davis November 30th, 2012 03:15 PM

+1 for Bill's Zacuto handle and mini base plate. Believe me, I've spent more money than I should getting the FS100 handheld, and I'd like to hurl a lot of poo at Manfrotto. The Zacuto stuff just works.

However, would like to do a shout-out to Half-Inch Rails - they do a couple of bits that really work well:

S35 Camcorders || HalfInchRails

The bit at the front and the bits at the back have been really helpful, though I prefer an EVF on a Noga, and have a V-lock and a mounting plate for my Pix220 at the back. The point is, you really need something with a bit of weight at the back to make the front balance, and you need a bit of weight overall to iron out jitters.

Look out for the Bebob Zoe LANC controller (or any small LANC on-off switch) - this is mandatory for a shoulder mount solution.

If I only had an FS700, Olof Ekberg's FS700 shoulder rig competes well with the Zacuto Fee-N-G and other FS700 sets, though there's a bit of envy for the 3ality Technica Micron FS700 Lower Stage Kit (google it).

Brian Murphy December 1st, 2012 09:12 AM

I use Brian Berkey's system and I am completely satisfied with it as well as the quality of build. I must admit that Olaf's gear is also very tempting and I may spring for a piece or two.