DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Lens flange wobble? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/522728-lens-flange-wobble.html)

Luc De Wandel April 13th, 2014 01:29 AM

Lens flange wobble?

1 Attachment(s)
On my camera, I can detect a tiny lens flange wobble (about half a millimeter). I mean the black ring closest to the camera body, not the stainless steel part where the lens bayonet fits in.

With a lens attached, and some pressure exerted on it, I can feel and see that black ring move very slightly. Is this normal or do I have a lemon? Thanks for checking!

Paul Wood April 14th, 2014 02:59 AM

Re: Lens flange wobble?

Hi Luc,

I just checked on my camera, and despite a couple of years of usage, can find no movement in the lens flange - I would get it checked at a dealer, to be safe.

Luc De Wandel April 14th, 2014 03:47 PM

Thanks Paul. I think I'll do that. It's not much, just about half a millimeter, but I don't think it should move at all.

Ray Lee April 17th, 2014 09:52 PM

Crazy, I just stopped in to ask the same question and here it is first post

Used this camera for a good long time but never noticed the tiny bit of movement until I used a follow focus and a manual focus 85mm Nikon and a rock solid tripod. Guess the little bit of resistance to the focus turn and the longer than normal lens along with not having my sticks in dirt made it stand out.

Luc De Wandel April 19th, 2014 01:44 PM

I also noticed it with a longer lens. And what's more, I discovered today it's not the lens flange that's wobbling, but the complete circular mount that is fitted in the square camera body. I do not think it will pose a problem, because the wobble in this case is behind the sensor. But it's not a proof of sturdy build quality...

Ray Lee April 30th, 2014 04:24 PM

I misunderstood what you originally wrote... mine also seems like its the camera guts moving a hair in the outer plastic shell. Don't think I would have ever noticed or even cared except on solid tripod with a follow focus it drifts left and right as you focus (SLR AF lenses not noticeable but manual lenses with a nice fluid/firm feel its pretty annoying.

Love the camera but don't think I will bother sending it in to be looked at...if Sony is anything like Nikon it will come back in a month it two with a note saying nothing is wrong... if I happen to come across another FS100 and it does not flex then just maybe

Finn Yarbrough April 30th, 2014 04:41 PM

Or if it is like Canon, it will come back two weeks later with a note that something ELSE is wrong, and they won't fix the first thing unless you pay for both.

Luc De Wandel May 22nd, 2014 02:46 PM

As the camera came with prime support, the dealer sent it to Sony and within 8 working days it came back fixed: the wobble has gone. No cost, perfect repair.

Ray Lee May 23rd, 2014 10:41 PM

Thank you, love this camera and even if I ever wanted something else I couldn't sell it like this so may as well send it in (in few weeks) wish me luck

Bob Hart May 23rd, 2014 11:09 PM

With lightweight plastic camera bodies, there will nearly always be some compliance in the case structure when pressures are applied. So long as the image is not walking about or jumping during focus or zoom movements, then the camera is likely behaving to expectation. A consistent drift of the image during zoom or focus movements can indicate the optical centre axis is not on centre of the scanned area of the sensor. This was the classic signature of some 1/3" sensor cameras. The Sony DSR PD150 had a very noticeable left-right drift through the zoom movement. With the precision engineering required for such small sensors it is a minor miracle they work as well as they do..

Luc De Wandel May 29th, 2014 12:57 AM

You're quite right Bob. Indeed, the wobble did not present any problem as to image quality was concerned: no change in sharpness, or anything.

But I wanted it fixed because you never know if these thing get worse with time and moreover, if I ever want to sell the camera, I want it to be perfect for the guy who buys it. I have a reputation to defend :-)

Now it's as tight as can be, so I'm completely satisfied.