DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Samyang E-Mount & FS100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/529854-samyang-e-mount-fs100.html)

Aaron Jones Sr. September 25th, 2015 01:14 AM

Samyang E-Mount & FS100

Has anyone tried the Samyang lenes as of yet with their FS100? If so, what is your experience with them? I'm looking to grab the 85mm f/1.4 -35mm f/1.4 and looking for some feedback from those that have tried them in low light environments. I'm looking to use them in very low light receptions and events. I tried my Canon 50mm f/1.4 and I was in love with the footage compared to my tamron f/2.8 lenses.

Paul Wood September 26th, 2015 12:23 AM

Re: Samyang E-Mount & FS100

Hi Aaron,

I have the 85 and 35 Samyang lenses in a Nikon mount, and have very good low light results with my FS100.
excellent lenses for the price, and you will be pleased with the quality.

Aaron Jones Sr. September 27th, 2015 06:55 PM

Looks like I will be picking these lenses up for my next event. My next one is a event that promotes youth from the area becoming successful. The lighting is low in an old country club that has a ugly putty color. The last time I shot this event, which was last year I had the EA50 and AX200. The EA I used a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 and I was not pleased at all with the out come. This year I will be using my FS100's.

Mike Watson September 27th, 2015 09:36 PM

Just my $0.02... I am FS-100 and about to be FS5, so e-mount is my game, but if I buy a non-Sony lens, I buy it as a Canon EF and use an adaptor. The e-mount will (IMHO) always be hard to re-sell and hard to adapt, and the EF is universal, easy to sell. If you move to JVC next year, you will easily be able to use your EF lenses, and that is not necessarily true about the e-mount lenses.

Aaron Jones Sr. September 28th, 2015 12:02 AM

Good point an well taken. In my case I have 4 FS100's and I only have 2 Meta bones currently. As I agree with you wholeheartedly the cost of the $288 Samyang (85mm f/1.4) I don't mind getting in E-mount. If I were buying more expensive glass I would be considering the EF mount. I guess I could just grab a dumb adapter, but I was just willing to go straight to the E-mount because of the low cost.

Dmitri Zigany September 28th, 2015 05:32 PM

On the other hand, Sony is really pushing the E-Mount and with the success of the A7 series and the FS100/700 and FS7 (and no doubt the FS5) the mount is really gaining popularity and user base. I doubt it will matter much in resale value... Since the lenses are not very expensive, I'd rather not deal with adapters than be able to sell them for €20 more some time in the future...

Mike Watson September 28th, 2015 06:38 PM

Does RED mount a Sony e-mount lens? What about JVC? Blackmagic? Aja Cion? As far as I know none of them natively mount a Sony lens, and it's conceivable that you could be unable to even find an adapter. What about Canon EF lenses? I believe they are all available to mount EF glass natively.

I know FS-100/700/5/7 is all the rage right now, but what if next year Aja releases a new Cion 2, and you want to get one? Sell all that Sony glass and buy EF glass? EF (and less so Nikon) glass will for the foreseeable future be the industry standard (as much as there is one).

I'm not saying never buy Sony glass, I have that 18-105 lens and I like it. I'm just saying when you're buying one-off lenses and EF is an option... consider it.

Aaron Jones Sr. October 5th, 2015 04:04 PM

Ok, I got the Samyang in the mail after buying on Ebay. I got the 85mm f/1.4 E-mount. It is a Full frame lens and it does see more light than my natural eyes. I have not got the chance to actually take it on a test run on a shoot yet but I got it for a event that is coming up shortly. I plan to use the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 and my Canon 50mm f/1.4.

I put both on a FS100 and had them side by side to see if there was a difference in light. Without actually looking a footage it seems that my Canon seems to see a tad bit more light than the Samyang. I hope to do a comparison shortly and post my findings.

Matt Sharp October 6th, 2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1899381)
Does RED mount a Sony e-mount lens? What about JVC? Blackmagic? Aja Cion? As far as I know none of them natively mount a Sony lens, and it's conceivable that you could be unable to even find an adapter. What about Canon EF lenses? I believe they are all available to mount EF glass natively.

The point of E-Mount is that you can adapt practically any other lens to it. So Sony could draw people from those other mounts over without requiring them to buy a whole new set of lenses (which didn't and most still don't exist on E-mount).

Aaron Jones Sr. October 17th, 2015 01:52 AM

Ok, I shot a corporate event yesterday with the Samyang 85mm f/1.4. I have to say I really like this lens. I notice that my Canon 50mm f/1.4 lets in a little more light but I think it is due to the long narrow focus length of the 85mm. I see lots of places where I can take advantage of the long focal range as compared to my 24-70mm. It is definitely a keeper for me. Not sure if it is a must for everyone as it would depend on how you like to shoot. In a fairly big size room I can be at the back wall and get a great podium shot at the front of the room. I should have taken some pics... Maybe next time I will remember to.

Aaron Jones Sr. October 19th, 2015 05:26 PM

So two days after this last event I mentioned I had my first wedding with the Samyang 85mm f/1.4. What an amazing lens. For those that shoot manual it is a great addition to your artillery. I run 3 cams and I have a forth on a shoulder rig, so what I do is have one of my shooters on sniper duty. Well the sniper had the 85mm and it was a great additive to my reception flow.

David Peterson January 25th, 2016 04:13 AM

I recommend buying your Samyang/Rokinon lenses in a Nikon F mount and using an adapter. That way you can use your lenses with absolutely anything at all! :-D For instance I now use a Sony PMW-F3, and because I got them not in E mount but Nikon F mount, it means I've got no problem at all using them on my F3 :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. (Post 1900692)
Ok, I shot a corporate event yesterday with the Samyang 85mm f/1.4. I have to say I really like this lens. I notice that my Canon 50mm f/1.4 lets in a little more light but I think it is due to the long narrow focus length of the 85mm. I see lots of places where I can take advantage of the long focal range as compared to my 24-70mm. It is definitely a keeper for me. Not sure if it is a must for everyone as it would depend on how you like to shoot. In a fairly big size room I can be at the back wall and get a great podium shot at the front of the room. I should have taken some pics... Maybe next time I will remember to.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the focal lengths, instead is likely because f-stop and T stop are not the same thing. You're mistakenly assuming the T stop of both must be the same just because they've got the same listed F-stop.