Clips from the NAB camera set. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Clips from the NAB camera set.

I managed to grab some clips on the NAB camera set.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Clips from the NAB camera set.

That looks pretty GOOD! This is the camera that is on my short list to replace my EX3....
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Alister. I really like the colors. Seems like there's quite a bit of aliasing in the chair in the first shot though.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes there is some aliasing and Sony are aware of this. There will be more aliasing when using the FS-700 at Hd than you would see with a FS100 simply because the optical path of the FS700 is tailored for 4k and not HD, so some some higher frequencies than needed for HD will be hitting the sensor. There's not really much that can be done about this. I expect Sony will work on the scaling algorithm to get the best possible downscale from 4k to HD but don't expect the FS700 to be completely alias free at HD, that's the penalty you pay for a 4k front end. I supposed the FS700 might actually benefit from a sub standard lens in some HD situations as this will act as a low pass filter.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ugh, the aliasing is bad in this clip. My FS100 has more aliasing than I like, so if the 700 has even more...

But I do hope, that the FS700 really resolves 1000+ lines like the EX1. My FS100 is considerably softer (850 lines) than the EX1. You can see it especially on landscape shots. Always looks very slightly out of focus if your used to full HD resolution.
Felix Steinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The aliasing is indeed there, and - as Alister (and Juan Martinez here:
) both explain - is unavoidable on a 4k sensor in HD mode.

But, also having (and intercutting) the FS100 and EX1, I can assure you that it's just a matter of proper PPs and/or post work to match them just OK...
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I cannot stress this enough, the cameras at NAB were pre-production units with very early firmware versions, so the image quality is not yet finalised. There are likely to be improvements in the image quality as Sony refine the firmware based on some of the things that those of us that have shot with the camera have discovered. Aliasing when using a 4K camera to shoot at HD is not surprising, unexpected, a fault or design error. It is simply down to the way a sensor and it's optical low pass filter must be tuned for the highest resolution that the camera is designed to operate at. When you use the camera below that optimum resolution, you may see problems with aliasing. This is why DSLR's suffer from a lot of aliasing, they are designed for high resolution stills, not much lower resolution video. Sony could put a stronger anti alias filter in the FS700, but then when used for 4K the pictures would be soft. The images I have seen from the FS700 have blown me away. There is very little noise, the colours are rich and vibrant and the dynamic range impressive. There is likely to be slightly more aliasing from the FS700 at HD than an FS100 due to the 4K sensor. But once the 4K RAW output is enabled, at 4K, I fully expect that aliasing to go away and the FS700 to really shine.
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I aware that the flickering and nosily pictures when the higher frame rate is on like beyond 120FPS - 480FPS or even worse in 960FPS.

BTW, what lenses and Frame Rate that you shoot that CLIP ?

I believe you are not using their internal ND filters right ?

Cheers,

Stewart
Stewart Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Trustee

Felix,
You said
"But I do hope, that the FS700 really resolves 1000+ lines like the EX1. My FS100 is considerably softer (850 lines) than the EX1. You can see it especially on landscape shots. Always looks very slightly out of focus if your used to full HD resolution. "

Do you think what you might be seeing is the slightly shallower dof in the background. In other words, is there something more crisply in focus in the foreground? If so, this would be an example of the more cinematic look we get with our fs100's, as opposed to the long dof typical of a more "video" cameras, like the ex1.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Noise does not increase as you increase the frame rate, but the much shorter shutter opening mans that you may need more gain to compensate. The footage in the clip was shot at 800 iso for the normal motion and 3200 for the slow mo which is 240fps.

Flicker tends to be a result of the very short shutter period going in and out of phase with the lighting.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Why is it too hard for these manufacturers to add a servo zoom to interchangable lens? Its happened before with the very first interchangable camcorder, the Canon EX2/L2, and the XL1/2.

Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #12
Inner Circle

There's a zoom rocker on the hand grip of the FS700, so a pretty good hit that there will be a servo zoom.

You do have to remember that it's much harder and more expensive to produce a parfocal servo zoom for a bigger sensor like the one in the 700. Just look at what most parfocal s35 zooms cost. How big is the market for a servo zoom for the FS700 that cost $60k?

I expect we will see one, but don't expect it to be both fast and cheap, might be one or the other but I doubt it will be both.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Major Player

Dumb question, but here it goes. If I used this camera to shoot something in 4K that I intended to deliver in HD, would I still run into the aliasing issues when I down-rez in software? I keep hearing people talk about shooting 4K and being able to reframe the picture if needed, but I just wanted to know what happens when we deliver on Blu Ray. Should I just stick with a FS100?

Thanks,

Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Major Player

Dumb question, but here it goes. If I used this camera to shoot something in 4K that I intended to deliver in HD, would I still run into the aliasing issues when I down-rez in software? I keep hearing people talk about shooting 4K and being able to reframe the picture if needed, but I just wanted to know what happens when we deliver on Blu Ray. Should I just stick with a FS100?

Thanks,

Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Major Player

I don't know the answer, don't think it is a dumb question and would like to know the answer as well. So herewith I push this topic to the top of the list again, hoping someone has an answer for Chad.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta