DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   OK, so the tech stuff is interesting...but... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/508532-ok-so-tech-stuff-interesting-but.html)

Alan Melville June 15th, 2012 05:28 AM

OK, so the tech stuff is interesting...but...

Guys, I'm needing to move into the 21st centry and have been looking at the FS700 because of it's price and extensive array of lenses. I love lens choice as I come from a stills background..... pre digi.....

I now shoot with a couple of Canon XL2's with Auto and EF manual lenses.

I'm particularly allergic to Weddings, Birthday parties and Corporate events....... I enjoy shooting Wildlife,Human interest and Nature.

I have nothing that has ever been aired and don't fret about it....BUT...I'm thinking of documenting a 15,000Km bicycle ride through desert, mountains and beaches next year to see if I can get it aired.

What do you reckon, is the FS700 a good choice for me? Strengths / weaknesses ???

Thanks in advance.
Al

Chris Medico June 15th, 2012 05:38 AM

Re: OK, so the tech stuff is interesting...but...

I think for its size and weight along with low energy usage it would make a great camera to use on such an assignment.

The image quality will be better than the dSLR choices and having the ability to use autofocus when beneficial is a good plus (assuming a compatible lens). The high speed framerate capabilities open up the creative options. Nothing else out there can match the combination of package size and affordability. I can't imagine this not becoming one of Sony's best sellers.

I have one on order and hope to have it soon so I can give it a good workout alongside my F3.

Alan Melville June 15th, 2012 06:02 AM

Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have to confess I really like the specs on the FS700, one in particular is the power consumption as I use a solar panel to charge everything.....

I also love the thought of onboard SloMo capturing my horified looks as I'm hurtling down a mountainside on a bicycle intent on speeding up my impending demise by guiding me towards the edge of a precipice that overhangs a raging river......100 Ft below.... lol....

My biggest hurdle is letting go of my Xl2's, I've kind of grown attached to them....... foibles and all. :)

Al

Noah Yuan-Vogel June 15th, 2012 06:09 AM

It's worth noting that the power consumption of the FS700 is pretty low, but the FS100 draws half as much power, so if that is your greatest concern that might be a consideration.

Chris Medico June 15th, 2012 06:11 AM

I had to make a similar decision a few years ago. I kept the old gear thinking that I would use it some here or there. I have not even opened the cases for those cameras in more than 2 years.

What the newer cameras are capable of will astonish you once you get one in your hands and work with it. Be prepared for a whole new world of focus management moving to a S35 sized sensor. f/8 will be your friend for a while. ;)

Matt Davis June 16th, 2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Melville (Post 1738470)
BUT...I'm thinking of documenting a 15,000Km bicycle ride through desert, mountains and beaches next year to see if I can get it aired.

Well, you simply must have a GoPro Hero on that trip!

And if you're serious about documenting the trip, the NX-70 may be a more robust companion than the FS700.

If you were filming participants of the trip and traveling in relative comfort between stops, yes - FS700. But actually cycling yourself? The FS700 is like a lego brick, and you'll want a bag full of lenses, and an EVF, and there will be a couple of mounts, and... it all adds up. Glorious, glorious images, but the FS line collects add-ons like a magnet picks up paperclips...

Also, FS100 has GPS info as metadata, and at half the power consumption, 1 NP-F970 will last you all day. I needed two for the FS700. If charging via Solar Power, I guess I'd be leaning towards the FS100.

Alan Melville June 16th, 2012 06:43 AM

Guys, Thanks for the replies!

Matt,

Re the GoPro, I already have one.... !!! Will purchase the Hero 2 sometime soon. :)

Re the NX-70, I'll look into it.

I like and can relate to the comment regarding magnets and paper clips, :). My Xl2's have done that! I carry a 1 meter glide rail, a Miller tripod, assorted lenses, 2 bodies, 4 big batteries, a large # of tapes,an external monitor, a specially adapted Glide cam type unit to shoot directly from the bike and a number of things I can't even remember..(matte boxes, chargers, etc etc)...!!

Totoal weight ~30 Kg....

I like the sound of GPS as Metadata but I must confess, Glorious, Glorious images would win :)

The trip will take a year and I have time at my disposal, so should it take longer, no hassles.

I have a highly modified cargo bike, based on a Yuba Mundo, that I've carried 80Kg plus me on.

One question, is time lapse possable with the FS700?

Al

Lee Mullen June 16th, 2012 06:56 AM

Have you considered the Canon XF300 Alan?

Alan Melville June 17th, 2012 06:10 AM

Hi Jalan,

Re the Canon; I did have a look at it but I think the FS700 beats it for what I would like.

I must say, I like my XL2's :)

Al

Bryan Scott June 19th, 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Melville (Post 1738620)
Guys, Thanks for the replies!

Matt,

Re the GoPro, I already have one.... !!! Will purchase the Hero 2 sometime soon. :)

Re the NX-70, I'll look into it.

I like and can relate to the comment regarding magnets and paper clips, :). My Xl2's have done that! I carry a 1 meter glide rail, a Miller tripod, assorted lenses, 2 bodies, 4 big batteries, a large # of tapes,an external monitor, a specially adapted Glide cam type unit to shoot directly from the bike and a number of things I can't even remember..(matte boxes, chargers, etc etc)...!!

Totoal weight ~30 Kg....

I like the sound of GPS as Metadata but I must confess, Glorious, Glorious images would win :)

The trip will take a year and I have time at my disposal, so should it take longer, no hassles.

I have a highly modified cargo bike, based on a Yuba Mundo, that I've carried 80Kg plus me on.

One question, is time lapse possable with the FS700?

Al

I own a HXR-NX70U and think it's a great camera but the FS700 if its anything like the FS100 would likely be the one I'd reach for in your situation if shooting off a tripod. The 70U has a great dual image stabilization system for run and gun hand held. (Optical SteadyShot image stabilization for X and Y and 3-Way Shake-Canceling feature adds electronic roll stability). In fact I've shot some stuff where you couldn't tell it wasn't on sticks. I've shot a lot of sports with this camera and also run it on a helmet mount for skydiving and paragliding. I've even been caught in the rain up in the air and had no worries about the equipment getting wet. The zoom ramping is a little tricky but thats been its only downside.

Back to the FS700, we're currently considering the FS700 in this years production budget at the office. Sony recently gave us a loaner FS100 as an analogue to the FS700 (until they can find us a 700) and everyone could use it right out of the box. I was given an assignment not ever having shot with it and the results turned out amazing. I'm sold on the dynamic range of the sensor and the cameras ease of use "but the stock lens that ships with the 100, which is the same for the 700" is OK but lacks in so many ways.

I'm sold on the specs of the FS700 and can't wait to get my hands on one at the office if Sony makes good on finding us one.

As far as time lapse the best I can tell is you're going to need a LANC based or IR Intervalometer and use the camera in still picture mode. I looked online and see some options. The Camera comes with a LANC port and also uses the Infrared Remote Commander (RMT-845). So I see 2 ways of approaching the photo trigger. These guys "might" have a product that would do it: Gentles Limited: gentLED-AUTO

If there is a Sony Intervalometer for the photo trigger I would buy that.

You can look up the camera specs here:
http://www.cev.ca/production/Sony-NE...re-english.pdf

Alan Melville June 20th, 2012 06:05 AM

Bryan,
Thanks for the reply, interesting to hear about your HXR-NX70U. This sentance interested me; "I've even been caught in the rain up in the air and had no worries about the equipment getting wet." I'll have a read up on that.

Re the Intervalometer, I figured I'd have to get a seperate unit but wasn't sure, however I'm not sure about triggering photos, I'd rather trigger short bursts of video.

I've downloaded the specs and will try and ring the Sony dealership to see if I can organise a 'hands on' sesion when I'm next in Perth.

Al

Noa Put June 20th, 2012 06:53 AM

First of all, do you really NEED 4K or just WANT it :) If you just want it your better of with the fs100, I have no experience with 4K but can imagine 4k resolution requires a high end pc and software that can handle the footage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Melville (Post 1738470)
BUT...I'm thinking of documenting a 15,000Km bicycle ride through desert, mountains and beaches next year to see if I can get it aired.

If you ask me, the sony nx70 will be your best bet, it's dust and rain proof and has one of the best image stabilisations out there. All those complaints about a zoomrocker not performing should be no issue as you should use a zoom just to choose your frame and then start filming. the FS100 might give you a great image quality but I don't hear that promising reports on it's build quality, so you might be lucky if it still works after being used in those different extreme weather conditions :)
The nx 70 only does not have such a great zoom reach so if you want to do wildlife and zoom in real close you need to find another option, maybe a canon 5dIII?

Bryan Scott June 20th, 2012 01:28 PM

Alan,

Yea when I'm skydiving I have no choice it's on the top of my helmet. It can be dry on ground and raining at altitude, go figure. Often evaporating before it gets to the ground. For me I cant just bag the camera as I would on a typical production shoot. That camera is weather proofed as long as you remember to close your ports. Each one is protected with an O ring seal. The camera has a IPX54 certification. The XLR adaptor and ECM-XM1 microphone are not rainproof or dust proof. Adding those external components compromises its weather proofing by leaving one port open, or 2 if you're using a headphone for monitoring.

As far as the FS700 I'd explore the Intervalometer options. I've done numerous time-lapse sequences for the studio and I've always taken the still camera approach. I just wish Sony would write the Intervalometer into the photo options. JPEG's are fine and every professional NLE can stitch together the sequences. For me setting long exposure times gives me the motion blurring I want, where video is just to crisp and strobed.

I'd bring along some extra ND if you go that way. You never know when you'll need it.