DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Are you tired of seeing slow-mo footage yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/509175-you-tired-seeing-slow-mo-footage-yet.html)

Todd Sheridan July 10th, 2012 09:34 AM

Are you tired of seeing slow-mo footage yet?

Well, too bad! Here's some more.

But seriously, shooting at 240fps is totally addictive. I headed upstate the day after I picked up my camera and couldn't stop shooting slow-motion. Firework, guns, and water. I'd have to be some sort of America hating terrorist not to overcrank!

Overall, I'm in love with this camera. It doesn't have the low light performance of the 5D, but its a small price to pay for the convenience associated with shooting with a camera that was actually built to be a video camera.

Everything was shot using Canon L-series lenses via a Metabones adapter (which seems to work great - except for autofocus, if you need that).
Included is low light to bright sun footage, so you can see the difference.

(One issue I did encounter that I need to look into: When I first started using the camera, it would seem to 'freeze' up after I turned the power on and the camera was booting up. It would get 'stuck' on the 'Sony' logo. After 3-6 minutes, I would turn the power off, but the 'Sony' logo would stay up on the LCD. I would have to pop out the battery to power down. But when I restarted, there was no problem. This happened a couple times, but I've probably turned it on 50 times since then without any problem - curious if this is some sort of software bug and if anyone else has encountered it?)

Anyway......

Jim Michael July 10th, 2012 08:40 PM

Re: Are you tired of seeing slow-mo footage yet?

Just wait for the slo-mo shallow focus transitions.

Kieran Steele July 11th, 2012 02:59 AM

Heh. That footage more interesting . How about 2 bugs getting frisky with a 100mm or 200mm macro in Slomo ? Oh 4mm instead of 3mm bugger pulled focus too far.

Is there a lens with focus transition that will do it on this cam? Maybe not?

Winter here, few bugs

Alister Chapman July 11th, 2012 04:52 AM

Any E-Mount lens can do a programmed focus pull. The FS700 has a shot transition function where you can memorise two focus and exposure points and transition between them. Only works with E-Mount lenses but a nice feature.

Walter Brokx July 11th, 2012 06:33 AM

Slow-mo BBQ is torture for hungry people... ;-)

Todd Sheridan July 11th, 2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Steele (Post 1742790)
Heh. That footage more interesting . How about 2 bugs getting frisky with a 100mm or 200mm macro in Slomo ? Oh 4mm instead of 3mm bugger pulled focus too far.

Is there a lens with focus transition that will do it on this cam? Maybe not?

Winter here, few bugs

Did somebody say 2 bugs getting frisky?
Ask and ye shall receive (at least I think that's what they are doing here?)

Kieran Steele July 11th, 2012 08:54 PM

Hah hah! Music very appropriate. Was that the stock lens?

I'm thinking you would have to get pretty close to a fast moving insect for slomo with a 30mm emount macro... Like 3-4cm for 1:1

I don't know of any other macro emounts to take advantage of focus transitions

Maybe some amount macro with a la ea2 ... Actually. Does anyone ever use autofocus in macro?
Haven't done much

Galen Rath July 11th, 2012 09:51 PM

No one will ever get tired of seeing slow-mo footage. It's going to give videography another edge over still photography in the marketplace.

Matt Davis July 12th, 2012 03:22 AM

Okay - resisted for too long, but here's yet more gratuitous slomo. Note that I was originally looking for image degradation in the slomo modes, but as usual the Vimeo rendition covers up a lot of the aliasing.

Technical notes - these are all 200fps scenes as my camera was set to PAL at the time. I've used the FCPX Optical Flow to retime a couple of shots to 400fps to see which sort of degradation I preferred - the line skipping or the slightly trippy image distortion - I'll go for the latter, and remember to have a card handy for 240fps (and therefore 480fps with retiming) in the future.

Todd Sheridan July 12th, 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Steele (Post 1742964)
Hah hah! Music very appropriate. Was that the stock lens?

I'm thinking you would have to get pretty close to a fast moving insect for slomo with a 30mm emount macro... Like 3-4cm for 1:1

I don't know of any other macro emounts to take advantage of focus transitions

Maybe some amount macro with a la ea2 ... Actually. Does anyone ever use autofocus in macro?
Haven't done much

That was actually shot with the Canon 70-200mm 2.8L (version 1).
Luckily those buggers like to stay in one place and chill out, so it was easy to focus on and capture them.
I actually had to wave my arms around to get them to fly away for me.

The problem with focusing in slow-mo on something like this, of course, is that you can be watching a 6 second video thinking to yourself "I had 6 seconds, why wasn't I able to focus?", and then you realize it was less than a second in real time.

Kieran Steele July 13th, 2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Davis (Post 1743009)
Okay - resisted for too long, but here's yet more gratuitous slomo. Note that I was originally looking for image degradation in the slomo modes, but as usual the Vimeo rendition covers up a lot of the aliasing.

Technical notes - these are all 200fps scenes as my camera was set to PAL at the time. I've used the FCPX Optical Flow to retime a couple of shots to 400fps to see which sort of degradation I preferred - the line skipping or the slightly trippy image distortion - I'll go for the latter, and remember to have a card handy for 240fps (and therefore 480fps with retiming) in the future.

Very Nice Matt! I keep telling myself I am going to stop shooting "test" footage soon, and only use slomo when really appropriate..... but then my 70-400mm sony and alphatron evf just turned up... ahhhh. I guess we all have to get used to it, so that the moment comes its really going to be appropriate we are not fiddling with extra buttons and trucking in more lights for a 3 second shot.

I'll have to try twixtor for that. good idea. Do you mean an extra card so you don't mix base framerates on the same card or?

I can see a fs700 on a set, I presume at 400fps and up, after "cut", "ok tea break everyone as it writes out the card" :) I guess if you have an ssd in the FMU it would write out like probably 8 times faster?

Another test ;) I am presuming that doesn't happen with a phantom, but then again, different price point of product.

Lee Mullen July 14th, 2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Sheridan (Post 1742639)
Well, too bad! Here's some more.

But seriously, shooting at 240fps is totally addictive. I headed upstate the day after I picked up my camera and couldn't stop shooting slow-motion. Firework, guns, and water. I'd have to be some sort of America hating terrorist not to overcrank!

Overall, I'm in love with this camera. It doesn't have the low light performance of the 5D, but its a small price to pay for the convenience associated with shooting with a camera that was actually built to be a video camera.

Everything was shot using Canon L-series lenses via a Metabones adapter (which seems to work great - except for autofocus, if you need that).
Included is low light to bright sun footage, so you can see the difference.

(One issue I did encounter that I need to look into: When I first started using the camera, it would seem to 'freeze' up after I turned the power on and the camera was booting up. It would get 'stuck' on the 'Sony' logo. After 3-6 minutes, I would turn the power off, but the 'Sony' logo would stay up on the LCD. I would have to pop out the battery to power down. But when I restarted, there was no problem. This happened a couple times, but I've probably turned it on 50 times since then without any problem - curious if this is some sort of software bug and if anyone else has encountered it?)

Anyway......

eye dee four on Vimeo

I'm sure the fad in a few months willl be over.

Steve Connor July 14th, 2012 11:39 AM

Tired of it! we're just getting started

Dave Allen July 16th, 2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

It doesn't have the low light performance of the 5D, but its a small price to pay for the convenience associated with shooting with a camera that was actually built to be a video camera.
Todd, when you say it doesn't have the low light capability, in your opinion, is that a function of the kit lens it comes with being too slow, or something else? I need to be able to shoot in low light, and have not made any lens purchasing decisions yet. I do see some of the Sony Zeiss lenses in the A mount series down to 1.8.

Chris Johnston July 16th, 2012 11:36 AM

One of the best uses I've seen.
Shot at 1:23 is friggin awesome!