DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Monitor question / recs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/509297-monitor-question-recs.html)

Todd Sheridan July 14th, 2012 04:16 PM

Monitor question / recs?

Maybe this isn't the appropriate place to ask this sort of thing, and I apologize if it isn't....

I am in a market for a monitor, and had a question. Also, I was wondering what others were using, of if anyone had any recommendations, etc.

My primary question is: are there any real practical benefits right now to buying something with 3G/SDI inputs, as opposed to just SDI inputs?

As for recommendations, here is what I am looking for:

- at least one SDI (or 3G/SDI, depending on the answer to my question) AND an HDMI input, as I will be using this with both my FS700 and my 5D.

- good resolution

- Ultimately, I would like to have something big enough that it makes sense as a "step-up" from the LCD, but small/light enough that I could, in theory, mount it to a rig or the camera and carry "hand held". I'm thinking something like a 7" might work? Or maybe that would be too heavy.

- If it could run on the same Sony L-series batteries that the camera runs on, that would be great

- Under $2000 would be preferable.

I'm not finding anything that is "ideal". There is a JVC 7" that seems to meet most of my requirements (except, I think, the Sony battery thing) that is pretty economical (around $1400), but apparently it is plastic and not necessarily very well made.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations, or an answer to the 3G/SDI thing, it would be appreciated.

Daniel Weber July 14th, 2012 06:02 PM

Re: Monitor question / recs?

Go for the SmallHD DP6. It has everything that you are looking for. Probably the best bang for the buck in a field monitor. Make sure you order the one with both HDMI and SDI. They have specials on their bundles right now. You can save up to $300, if my memory serves me.

Daniel Weber

Bill Parker July 14th, 2012 08:43 PM

Also the TVLogic. TV Logic 5.6" LCD HD/SD-SDI HDMI Monitor VFM-056W - Filmtools

You'll hear arguments for this & Small HD - both very good.

Todd Sheridan July 15th, 2012 09:25 PM

Thanks guys. Looks like Small HD has a 7" coming out in the Fall that is going to only weigh about one lbs. I may hold out for that one.

John Mitchell July 16th, 2012 05:52 AM

If you are talking about one for use with the FS700 then a monitor that can be converted to a viewfinder with a loupe makes sense (because the existing viewfinder is top mounted, difficult to wrangle and midrange). However they are generally smaller than traditional field monitors so I doubt they'd work well on a crane or steadicam rig. Zacuto, Cineroid and Alphatron all make good products (the Alphatron was developed by TV logic) - all are expensive. There's a review by Alister Chapman on YouTube of the Alphatron which is higher resolution than the rest.

SmallHD also make a viewfinder model that is a bit cheaper than the others.

Todd Sheridan July 16th, 2012 09:06 AM

Thanks John. I don't think I'm necessarily looking for a powered viewfinder. I'm sure it would be useful in certain situations, and ultimately, I probably need a few products - a powered viewfinder, a smaller field monitor, and a larger client monitor. But, I don't have the budget right now, so I'm trying to decide what is most practical and the best combination of these three things.

Mostly, I need something that is large enough to use for framing, focusing, matching cameras, and checking color, especially for interviews, etc. But, I also want something that is light and portable, as I often work as a "one man band", and travel around NYC with my gear in a hired car or taxi. Also, if it is small and light enough that it could be mounted to the camera top or off to the side on a rig for the occasions I go hand held, that would be great.

It seems like maybe a 7" makes the most sense at this point, especially if it's light enough to be portable.

Kieran Steele July 24th, 2012 10:39 PM

Todd, the more I researched the more I've been convincing myself to wait out for a smallhd dp7.

Primarily I would use it for waveform and vectorscope and main framing monitor on sticks. Likely really handy to be able to check onboard for framing and vectorscope/waveform each setup without excess buttong pushing.

Having both hdmi and sdi with passthru, and allowing you to downstream a lut (or even downstream fx- like waveform/vectorscope), and plug in a paralinx for wireless send and record to internal sd for stedicam (presuming it's not too much work to swap it in/out) covers off so much of taking an indie set to the next level.

Its a bit of cash, but I can see myself using that same monitor for a number of years, and don't already have a dp6. At 1000nit

Todd Sheridan July 25th, 2012 12:45 AM

yes, I agree. I put my deposit down on one a few days ago, I'm a little wary about buying a monitor that no one has seen, but it sounds really nice, at least on paper. and I'm excited about the oled.

Alister Chapman July 25th, 2012 12:53 AM

I have the TVLogic 056W and it really is a fantastic little monitor. I like the small size as you can easily slip it in your pocket between locations. The 3G is essential if you shooting at 1080p50 or 1080p60.

Frank Glencairn July 25th, 2012 12:59 AM

+1 for the TVLogic.

I tried the SmallHD, but the tunable peaking of the TVLogic won me over,

You can finetune it, acording to your sensor, camera, picture profile and lens.
Best peaking I ever saw. Also the other features like the flexible fals color are great.

The only downside IMHO, you have to send it in for firmeware updatesl.

Frank