DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Expanded focus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/509453-expanded-focus.html)

Daniel Weber July 19th, 2012 08:30 PM

Expanded focus

I have enjoyed getting to know my new FS700 over the past few days. Today my Movcam Rig showed up and I am very impressed with its quality and all the mounting options it provides.

In my testing I have discovered that I can't use expanded focus when using either a monitor or EVF via the HDMI output. I called Abel Cine, my vendor, and asked them if I was missing something. They told me that this wasn't possible with the FS700. I was taken back by that since I can use expanded focus on any of my Canon DSLR's when using my Zacuto EVF.

Has anyone found a way to make expanded focus work via HDMI?

thanks,

Daniel Weber

Doug Jensen July 20th, 2012 05:29 AM

Re: Expanded focus

Give up. It can't be done, but a lot of EVF's (such as my Zacuto EVF)) offer their own internal version of expanded focus.

Daniel Weber July 20th, 2012 03:34 PM

Guess I'll have to live with it though. For some reason, I figured that this would be possible on a camera of this level since it can be done on HDSLR's.

Still love this camera though. I can't believe how easy the SSM is to do. I have to be honest though, the biggest selling point of the camera for me was the built in ND filters. I am so done with screw in ND on my Canon 5DM3.

Daniel Weber

Todd Sheridan July 20th, 2012 03:36 PM

glad to hear a positive review of the Movcam rig. I've had my eye on it, but have been waiting to hear from someone who has at least actually seen it before buying. I think I'm going to hold out, and order one in black though.

Curious what size monitor you are using, and if it is practical to mount on the movcam rig, especially if you are going hand held.

And, I guess if there is a bright side to the expanded focus not working via bnc, it's that if you have clients looking at a monitor, they won't freak out every time you use it because they think you are zoomed way in.

Daniel Weber July 20th, 2012 09:24 PM

Todd,

My monitor is a SmallHD DP4 and I also have a Zacuto EVF that I use as a viewfinder. I mainly use the SmallHD when shooting on a tripod. The Zacuto EVF is for when I am handholding the camera.

The Movcam does add some weight to the camera, but it has a shoulder pad to make it more like an ENG setup. I have ordered some extension rods since the ones that came are a little bit short. I added a pair of Shape handles and this really makes the setup stable when shooting from the shoulder.

I will add some pics once I get the whole system finalized.

Daniel Weber