DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   My first prototype for the FS700 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/509631-my-first-prototype-fs700.html)

Olof Ekbergh July 28th, 2012 03:08 PM

My first prototype for the FS700

8 Attachment(s)
I just got my 700 last night. And I have had many requests from old customers for kits for this camera.

I just finished the first version. This was a special request for a cheese plate to hold a matte box mounted from above, it is very light weight.

I also added a DP4 EVF holder, I am working on a universal kit for this EVF, it is quite heavy and big so this is a very sturdy bracket. I have lighter brackets for Zakuto size EVF's that are lighter and mount to a shoe. But I feel the DP4 is to heavy and may break the shoe on your camera.

I also added my UniCamRail to the the base of the 700 with my 3" wide comfortable shoulder pad. And in the back there is a cheese plate that can hold a GoldMount or V-mount battery as well as wireless mics or simply the little bag that can hold spare batteries or a counter weight.

I will be refining the system in the next few days. And I will post when the kit is back from the anodizer, every part will of course be anodized black.

Anyway here a re a few photos of the prototype, very quick and dirty in the metal shop. If anyone is interested in this kit as I develop it you can contact me directly. I will also be making wooden handles with lanc controls for the 700 that can be moved forward and down. And I plan to make a simple light shoulder brace that will allow you to use the supplied EVF tube.

Olof Ekbergh July 29th, 2012 11:14 AM

Second prototype for the FS700

7 Attachment(s)
OK so here is a version w/o the top rails. I have a UnicamRail part that allows you to put Rails in the standard position. I will add that soon.

The back extension comes off quickly and can hold battery plates etc.

This version has an extension for the handle on the right that is adjustable, soon I will have a wooden handle option as well.

It also has a more compact mount for the SmallHD EVF. It is very adjustable back and forth as well as tilt up and down and distance from the body of the cam. But the horizon is always level with the camera, this is crucial, IMHO. I will have a lighter version for lighter EVF's as well.

The cheese plate on top is minimal but has 12 tapped holes, and it allows you to mount the 700 handle in its original position. I will also be making my own handle that is more adjustable to the CG of the cam in different configurations (heavy lenses and/or external batts recievers etc.).

I will also have a lens support that can be used with just the UniCamRail base plate w/o 15mm rails.

Any comments?

I am working on these designs and I would love some input from the community. It only takes about a week for me to manufacture small batches including anodizing, so these kits will be available very soon, and anyone wanting a beta version can call or contact me directly.

olof@westsideav.com

Here are some photos:

Alister Chapman July 29th, 2012 01:04 PM

Re: My first prototype for the FS700

Just some observations. Looking at the version without the top rails the EVF mounting is very close to the lens barrel. This would probably interfere with a lot of PL mount lenses, larger lenses fitted with ring gears for follow focuses and also get in the way of the operators fingers when focussing, especially if on a tripod and trying to squeeze your left hand under the VF mount to reach the focus ring. I would suggest you need to raise the VF mounting rods by 50mm or so.

I'd probably want the extension for the hand grip to be quite a bit longer. If you consider that when the camera is on your shoulder your right hand must be further forwards than your shoulder, so it probably wants to be further forward than the eyepiece of the EVF. If you look at a typical broadcast shoulder mount camera the hand grip is about 5" forward of the viewfinder. Of course there is a limit as to how far you can go as with short, wide angle lenses you run the risk of it encroaching into the shot, although you can rotate it downwards out of the way I suppose.

Olof Ekbergh July 29th, 2012 03:57 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Good observations Alister, thanks.

The EVF bracket is very adjustable, I did not have it in the highest position in the photos.

The Extension arm for the right handle is adjustable for length and hight as well.

Here are some more photos of the rig in really compact form. This is the Zakuto EVF bracket, it is much lighter and I much prefer it as an EVF. The $D4 is a better monitor though.

If you look carefully you will also notice that this kit has a lens support in front.

I also think there is no reason you can't extend the cable to the handle so you can be way out front and down. I will be making wooden handles with controls built in for the 700.

Later this week I will have mattebox and FF both with 15mm rails and just on the UniCamRail for compact kits.

More photos of this rig can be seen here:
FS700Prototype3 - Page 1

Olof Ekbergh July 31st, 2012 08:21 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos of the rig as it will be delivered tomorrow to a shooter in VT in the middle of shooting a feature. He will put it through its paces I am sure.

These photos have no weight added to the "ballast bag" in the back. There could be batteries or an external recorder added there to the cheese plate or on a wing on the right side to help balance the rig.

As I mentioned this first rig is a special request with the top rail and DP4 EVF.

I am working on a production version now with 15mm rails in the standard lower position. I will post photos of that soon.