DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   FS700 to Canon 1Dm4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/510897-fs700-canon-1dm4.html)

Jason McDonald September 23rd, 2012 09:27 AM

FS700 to Canon 1Dm4

I recently helped a singer/songwriter translate her song into English. She's recording the Japanese and English version in a professional setting (Studio). She asked if I would also do the photography for her CD cover etc. Something that I get paid for, not a whole lot, enough for some new glass and some more flashes etc. Photography pays for the hobby that is 'photography'. However, since the 5Dm2, I've been doing my best to learn the in's and out's of video. I love the learning process. I pick up pieces of kit here and there to make my DSLR 'video ready'.

I'd love to buy the FS700, but I'm not rich. I wondered about the quality, DOF and overall workflow when compared to the Canon DSLR systems and how much of a learning curve there would be to that. Is it worth it even if you aren't sure you're going to be getting a whole lot of work, if any. I do enjoy my photography and doing it for myself for nothing. I wonder if the FS700 is a bit much to start or if it's just right. I was thinking about getting the BlackMagic Cinema Camera, but the idea of storing all that RAW footage was scaring me a bit. Regardless, I think it's time I retired my 1Dm4 to just photography and get myself a dedicated video cam.

Any thoughts or input on my decisions and thoughts?

ETA: Has anyone tried cutting DSLR footage and FS700 footage? What were the results like?

Alister Chapman September 23rd, 2012 09:43 AM

Re: FS700 to Canon 1Dm4

There's always the FS100. A lot less money and very similar image quality to the FS700. If you don't need super slow mo and don't like the idea of a future 4k raw workflow then there is not a significant difference between the FS100 and FS700. The 700 does have built in ND filters which are very convenient, but you can always use screw on filters or a matte box and drop in filters with the FS100.

Jason McDonald September 23rd, 2012 09:49 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that. But the slow-mo is something I want as part of the video I plan on shooting. I did a lot of work with Twixtor. I love slow mo and time-lapse...everything in between. I would probably end up buying an FS100 and then months later try and sell it to get myself an FS700.

The DREAM is that this will be a good stepping stone for me into cinema. I would love for this to bring me more clients. I don't know that it will. I would still very much be out there doing solo projects. It's simply a matter of 'getting out there'.

Picking the right camera for the right job sucks when you want all the features of all the cameras in one...

Alister Chapman September 23rd, 2012 02:35 PM

But the camera is just a tool. It's not the tools that make you good but the way you use them. It is nice to own the latest toys and have a great camera, but more important is how you light, frame and compose your shots. Well crafted images will get you "out there" more than just owning the latest and greatest camera.

Jason McDonald September 23rd, 2012 05:01 PM

I understand that. But is there a comparison when using a DSLR for a video shoot and a more traditional camera for a video shoot such as the FS100 or FS700?

When it comes to photography, I can walk onto a set or event and know that I'll get the job done right and be able to deliver worthy services/products. Composition, lighting, exposure, retouching all skills learned over the last 10 years. Having the 1Dm4 has made life 'easier'. I could get away with using a 7D at a fraction of the cost, but wouldn't want to. With that in mind, I really wonder if starting off with something like the FS700 would be a wise way to move. Normally I'd tell a new photographer, get yourself a cheap body and invest in good glass...but I don't know what kind of advice I'd give myself for video. It's a tool, I just don't know if it's the right one and how to upgrade through to the right one overtime.

Alister Chapman September 24th, 2012 01:50 AM

It's hard to point to a true like for like comparison between something shot on a DSLR and something shot on a FS100/FS700 that is really worth watching. Almost everything on the internet has been compressed to hell so the real differences between the two are often hidden and unless you have a true side by side like for like shoot the differences are more likely to be down to lighting and technique, including post production grading, than the cameras themselves. In addition what the videos don't tell is how easy or how hard it was to achieve the look gained. I would say that you are likely to have far fewer issues and find it easier to achieve a more consistent result with camera sensor designed for video than from a DSLR or camera based on a DSLR sensor. The FS700 is an excellent camera and if you need super slow motion on a budget probably your only real lower cost option at the moment. Sony's F3 is a slightly better camera but doesn't have slow mo and used F3's can be picked up for not a lot more than an FS700.

Jason McDonald September 25th, 2012 12:15 AM

I think I'm going to have to save my yen and make the best of what I have now and maybe rent every now and again to get myself away from DSLR video. I wish I could rent to buy...not happening in Japan, from what I could find though.

Lee Mullen October 3rd, 2012 09:49 PM

Panasonic AF100 would suit you Jason. Just as good as a FS100 and much cheaper, even new. You can still you your EF glass.