DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Built in aperture adapter. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/513229-built-aperture-adapter.html)

Sergiu Macarescu January 6th, 2013 10:42 AM

Built in aperture adapter.

Going to order a metabones EF adapter soon. But first I'd like to ask if anyone has used an adapter with built in aperture. I don't really like the iris control wheel on the fs700.

In my opinion the upsides are

1 Lower price
2 same bokeh look for all lenses
3 easy control of aperture without the iris wheel

the downside is that there's no IS of course.

What are your opinions?

Chris Medico January 6th, 2013 11:36 AM

Re: Built in aperture adapter.

If you search around and read some on the subject you'll see that vignetting and softening of the image are common themes with those devices. I would recommend against one if you want to maintain image quality.

Sergiu Macarescu January 6th, 2013 06:24 PM

I've heard something about vignetting, but didn't know about image softening.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Matt Davis January 7th, 2013 10:43 AM

I have the MTF adaptor for Nikkor (G) to e-mount, and the 16x9 Nikkor G to EOS.

Both exhibit very, VERY short throws on the iris control. 30 degrees from wide open to closed. You can lose a stop or two brushing past it to find the focus ring if you're concentrating on the shot. If you keep it loose, you could probably knock half a stop just by blowing on it. I prefer to stick to Canon EOS lenses with the Metabones adaptor and the iris control on the body. And I get IS.

Alister Chapman January 7th, 2013 09:11 PM

The metabones (and others) adaptors that have built in mechanical iris rings are very poor solutions. The iris is in entirely the wrong part of the optical path and as a result leads to vignetting.

A compromise solution if you don't like using the iris wheel is to use the metabones electronic adapter to control the lens iris for course exposure control and then us a variable ND flyer for fine control. Of course you could also look into lenses with manual iris rings like the Samyang/Rokinon lenses that even with the Canon EF mount still have proper manual iris control.

Wilf Davies January 9th, 2013 04:19 PM

Thats my next puchase Alister' could i ask you a question just something i just can't quite get my head around, when i watch vemio and you tube fs700 super slow mo the clips may go from normal speed to super slow or visiversa or fast motion to slow motion without stopping i can do it in post but how do you do it in camera doing it in post its not the same. Thanks Wilf Davies.

Chris Medico January 9th, 2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilf Davies (Post 1772239)
Thats my next puchase Alister' could i ask you a question just something i just can't quite get my head around, when i watch vemio and you tube fs700 super slow mo the clips may go from normal speed to super slow or visiversa or fast motion to slow motion without stopping i can do it in post but how do you do it in camera doing it in post its not the same. Thanks Wilf Davies.

You can't do speed ramps in camera. That is an effect to perform in the edit room.

Wilf Davies January 9th, 2013 04:36 PM

Thats what i thaught but i was'nt sure if i was doing something wrong.Thanks very much for that Wilf.